Bird hunting on skis

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is curious about building a hunting specific backcountry ski setup I wrote an article about my experience for Project Upland. This is specifically for people looking to put together a custom kit that outperforms snowshoes in steep and brushy upland terrain. You find the article here.

The Perfect Backcountry Ski Setup for Upland Hunting

(photos of "brushy terrain" not shown because photos in tight thickets suck)

ski article-2-2.jpg

ski article-2.jpgv

ski article-4.jpg

Scott Johnson.JPG

Superdoo

WKR
I've been wanting someone to come out with a cost effective solution! Thanks for sharing.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
The sling setup is an underrated component in ski hunting; Kifaru Gunbearer works best for me. Quick enough to wingshoot and keeps the gun out of the way of the poles.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Google Thomas Haugland a Norwegian
I've owned the skis I see in his Youtube video.
I find them pretty terrible for hunting. Those skis are meant for traveling long(er) distances at faster than walking pace. They're for exercise. Also note, the skis are so narrow and his bindings so flimsy that he needs poles to balance. A good hunting ski setup is stable enough to not need poles.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
The sling setup is an underrated component in ski hunting; Kifaru Gunbearer works best for me. Quick enough to wingshoot and keeps the gun out of the way of the poles.

When we bring out new skiers they often need one or two poles, but that goes away pretty quickly. One of the benefits of the ski setups we use is no poles are needed. We carry our shotguns like we would on any other hunting day.
(note in the top photo, 6 pairs of skis, only 3 poles for the newbies)

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
When we bring out new skiers they often need one or two poles, but that goes away pretty quickly. One of the benefits of the ski setups we use is no poles are needed. We carry our shotguns like we would on any other hunting day.
(note in the top photo, 6 pairs of skis, only 3 poles for the newbies)
You guys must be more graceful than I am in the timber, haha. I will point out that I'm using a more "traditional" xc ski setup, and I feel like I'm able to cover ground more efficiently if I rock the poles, especially in deep (+3ft) snow. Plus, if you're coyote hunting off skis, they make a nice shooting rest.

Pretty psyched to see more people hunting off skis. Doesn't really get too much more traditional than that.

I appreciate your time and the timing of this article. I was thinking on my way to work this morning I would probably be able to move a lot faster and with less effort on a set of ski's then snowshoes. I would be using them in some pretty varied terrain. From super steep to flat plateau's. How hard is it to use them for someone that has never been on any type of ski before?

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
What are the downhill capabilities like on those length skis? I'm same height as you, so curious.
If you mean like doing turns downhill at a resort, they'd be pretty terrible. The skis I use to hunt are resort skis for 80-110 females. I never take the climbing skins off them while hunting.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your time and the timing of this article. I was thinking on my way to work this morning I would probably be able to move a lot faster and with less effort on a set of ski's then snowshoes. I would be using them in some pretty varied terrain. From super steep to flat plateau's. How hard is it to use them for someone that has never been on any type of ski before?
We've taken out a few never-evers before. They all did great, full days of hunting in the backcountry. The main thing we learned is that those integrated-skin-ski products (Altai Hok, Black Diamond Glidelite) are not up to actual hunting terrain. We had them as loaners for newbies and it was a disservice. I now have that style of universal strap binding but mounted to a ski setup like I describe in the article. Allows just about anybody to glide over snow in hunting terrain

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
You guys must be more graceful than I am in the timber, haha. I will point out that I'm using a more "traditional" xc ski setup
Nope, we sound similar. I need poles on normal xc gear. These skis are wider, and more stable, than my boots. Using a xc skis (sub 60mm waist) in deep snow sounds really difficult, you must be fit!

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, we sound similar. I need poles on normal xc gear. These skis are wider, and more stable, than my boots. Using a xc skis (sub 60mm waist) in deep snow sounds really difficult, you must be fit!
Nah, I’m just a masochist that bought a big bushwacker setup to deal with the UP winters. Can’t ice fish every day, or so I’m told.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
A picture of my ski quiver might help
From left to right ->

Black Diamond Glidelite Trekkers (supposedly good for hunting, not in my opinion)
** Two pairs of custom assembled hunting skis: wide, short, stiff, with tech-pin style bindings **
Lightweight mountaineering skis
Lightweight alpine touring skis
2 pairs of midweight backcountry freeride skis
2 pairs of traditional xc skis

Peters quiver 2.jpeg