Bird hunting on skis

We've taken out a few never-evers before. They all did great, full days of hunting in the backcountry. The main thing we learned is that those integrated-skin-ski products (Altai Hok, Black Diamond Glidelite) are not up to actual hunting terrain. We had them as loaners for newbies and it was a disservice. I now have that style of universal strap binding but mounted to a ski setup like I describe in the article. Allows just about anybody to glide over snow in hunting terrain
I appreciate the reply. How are they for hills like these? Obviously you would pick the best line. I took this out my window here on location.
D65523A5-333C-4637-B4AE-0ED9260D8F5B.jpeg
And when going downhill are you actually skiing or is it more like walking/gliding still?

I really want to get a setup. I just hate to spend that type of money on something that won’t actually work for the application.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the reply. How are they for hills like these? Obviously you would pick the best line. I took this out my window here on location.
View attachment 490018
And when going downhill are you actually skiing or is it more like walking/gliding still?

I really want to get a setup. I just hate to spend that type of money on something that won’t actually work for the application.

We hunt terrain with features like that. I’m assuming you mean with a lot more snow though. I’d feel comfortable hunting in features like that if there were several feet of snow.

Full width/length climbing skins can go up ~20deg (36% grade) pretty easily. Steeper than that and it’s usually time to switchback.
Going downhill you’ll have to stride to keep moving on anything unpacked and less than ~10% grade. Steep downhills are no problem if it’s short. Long and steep downhills I’ll often throw in some downhill switchbacks too.

One technique we use for hunting with our pointers is to try to always stay a little uphill of them. Then, when they go on point, we can just angle it downhill and close on the dogs at basically a running speed, but we’re just gliding. We can get to a dog on point 100+ yards out very quickly with a little gravity assist and gliding.

We hunt terrain with features like that. I’m assuming you mean with a lot more snow though. I’d feel comfortable hunting in features like that if there were several feet of snow.

Full width/length climbing skins can go up ~20deg (36% grade) pretty easily. Steeper than that and it’s usually time to switchback.
Going downhill you’ll have to stride to keep moving on anything unpacked and less than ~10% grade. Steep downhills are no problem if it’s short. Long and steep downhills I’ll often throw in some downhill switchbacks too.

One technique we use for hunting with our pointers is to try to always stay a little uphill of them. Then, when they go on point, we can just angle it downhill and close on the dogs at basically a running speed, but we’re just gliding. We can get to a dog on point 100+ yards out very quickly with a little gravity assist and gliding.
Yes I would want them for more snow. They didn't get as much snow down here as we did up north. And then with the winds some places are almost bare and some have 4'.

I appreciate the responses to my noob questions.

What is the thickest brush you have used these in? I am wondering if they would work in Spruce/Cedar swamps and thick clear cuts in WI. Would like to try them going over cattail marshes also. Old timers use to use a ski to get through the marshes, but they where ver very long.

z987k

WKR
So... an AT setup with tech bindings. You just don't take the skins off.

As a former snowboarder, freestyle turned freeride, with skiers in our group, I could see skis being easier to hunt off of...

...but I can't see skis being more effective through terrain with obstacles than snowshoes. How does it compare?

I'm talking creek crossings, trees, blowdown, brush, bluffs and rock. Is it more around than over, or more distance put on but "glided" distance?

Maybe it's the snowboarder in me...but I don't think I could strap a set of skis on without..a tutu..or maybe it's jealousy...not sure

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is curious about building a hunting specific backcountry ski setup I wrote an article about my experience for Project Upland. This is specifically for people looking to put together a custom kit that outperforms snowshoes in steep and brushy upland terrain. You find the article here.

The Perfect Backcountry Ski Setup for Upland Hunting

(photos of "brushy terrain" not shown because photos in tight thickets suck)

View attachment 489872

View attachment 489873v

View attachment 489874

View attachment 489875
Great article, looks like fun. Could be a great way to run dogs in the off season as well!

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted this past weekend in North central SD. I brought Hoks and MSR Denalis. Conditions varied wildly, from ice crusted CRP to tree rows with 12 foot drifts. I've never seen this much snow, and my dog stayed in the truck mostly.

The Hoks wanted to punch through the crust and tunnel under. Straps were too short for my Hoffman Mountaineers. After less than 100 yards, I fell, flopped around like a beached whale, took them off, and postholed back to the road.

The snowshoes worked better in the tree rows we hunted. We weren't sneaking up on much, luckily road hunting is legal. This was the most snow I've seen in 13 years of hunting up there.
Snowshoes worked better in this...
Road grouse
Justin's first pheasant

I've got the larger sized Altai Hoks and they certainly make covering ground in the open easier than with my 30" MSR snowshoes but i frequently end up in thick enough woods that I prefer the snowshoes in many situations.

Its nice to use stiffer mountain boots than softer pac boots with the Hoks to get the extra ankle support for side hills. I'm sure plastic boots with the right bindings would be quite a bit more solid but I can't justify the new boots.

This is all going to be dependent on a person's specific use and terrain they're moving through.

Moose biathlon!!!!!

...but I can't see skis being more effective through terrain with obstacles than snowshoes. How does it compare?

I'm talking creek crossings, trees, blowdown, brush, bluffs and rock. Is it more around than over, or more distance put on but "glided" distance?
Snowshoes excel in one area …. for people who can’t ski. Otherwise, skis are far more capable in essentially all terrain. There’s a reason people traveling in big mountain terrain aren’t on snowshoes. Using a set of ski crampons in icy conditions, will increase their capability even more. I’ve done a significant amount of bushwhacking in Alder jungles and creek crossings, on big mountain traverses in AK and Canada…..I’ve never once wished that I was on snowshoes instead of skis. Skis are faster on flat and rolling terrain. When it comes to climbing in steep terrain, snowshoes shouldn’t even be considered. If a person needs to climb directly…..it’s time to boot pack in firm snow, or use Verts or Ascent plates in softer snows.

When we bring out new skiers they often need one or two poles, but that goes away pretty quickly. One of the benefits of the ski setups we use is no poles are needed.
Looking at your pictures, it appears you’re bird hunting in South central AK. Which happens to be where I also hunt birds on skis. I’m surprised to hear you don’t ski with poles. From my perspective, the decreased efficiency of skiing without poles is almost as bad as wallowing around with snowshoes. How are you rationalizing not skiing with poles?

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at your pictures, it appears you’re bird hunting in South central AK. Which happens to be where I also hunt birds on skis. I’m surprised to hear you don’t ski with poles. From my perspective, the decreased efficiency of skiing without poles is almost as bad as wallowing around with snowshoes. How are you rationalizing not skiing with poles?
It might help that Holmes is slightly superhuman on bare ground, and extremely so in the white stuff

BBob

WKR
I found a few universal bindings:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man. My hunting dreams come true. Boot packing up to my knees with my cow this year made me wonder why the hell I left my skis at home. I need to get a dedicated setup for hunting. I might have missed it, what boot type do you prefer?

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for throwing this out there. I chased pheasants with snowshoes....only for one day....but we had a blast. Such a different hunt swishing around the cover flushing birds. I'll have to look into the used ski market and do a little testing. I do know some friends that skied to elk hunt an area after a big fresh snow where know body was getting anywhere chained up for days. They saw some big bulls held up higher at elevation then anyone was looking and killed a big guy.