Best western boots on a budget

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m trying to put together gear for a late October Colorado rifle hunt next year. I’m trying to narrow down my choice of boot.

I saw camofire had some Crispi boots less than 300 but I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the Idaho GTx because of the cordura. Not sure how well that would hold up in case of snow.

My question is, in general what’s the best all purpose boot on a tight budget, trying to stay under 300. Did I miss an opportunity with the Idaho’s? I have no experience out west mostly hunt white tails. So I use muck boots all year long. Any suggestions on a boot that would be a good Colorado late October boot? Any help is appreciated.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have some Rocky insulated boots that work for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Don't skimp on boots. There are 2 places you need to get it right IMO. Boots and a sleep system. Crispi, kennetrek, act are all good (if they fit your feet well). I had a lighter pair from cabelas and once they got wet and dried they hurt my feet so bad I was almost brought to tears with every step. Not fun 5 miles in. They were literally the most comfortable boots I had ever worn....in the store.

jfs82

WKR
Plenty of people get lots and lots of quality hunting miles on the step below the Crispis with Salomon and Lowa's. I recognize there are better boots, but that level, to me, is the best bang for buck level.

RyanCmns

WKR
Salomon, crispi, hanwag budget wise I'd probably try the Salomon 4d's would be worth a try. Personally I prefer a full leather boot for the cold blackovis you get 10% off that's always a plus better than nothin!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Go spend a couple hundred bucks on some Danners and break them in well before your hunt. If you get cold feet easily I would recommend trying them on with a thick heavy pair of wool socks so they are not too tight.
I've also used the little stick em hot hands feet warmers that you can put on the outside of your socks with good results when it's cold. If your feet are miserable it will be a bad time, been there, done that. Your boots dont necessarily need to cost a fortune, they just need to be comfortable on your feet and waterproof in my opinion.
Good luck.

Used a pair of danners for years and they served me well I bought them a long time ago so i don’t know if there reputable now though, other brands mentioned above would be a good choice to.

RyanCmns

WKR
Might be worth a shot worst case send them back
01dbc425f4e96ddf5a915a5c2c9abd98.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Big thing for me is terrain. Lots of steep Rocky miles with a heavy pack? You'll want a boot with a stiffer sole. Crispi Thor's are a great early season elk boot (mainly what I hunt)

Beam92

FNG
I used Salomans my first couple seasons and they worked great. Although I only hunted in them in September. I use Kenetrek now and really like them but they aren’t made for every foot. I have the non-insulated and they were toasty during 4th season with a good pair of wool socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input so far! So is all leather necessary if there ends up being snow? Or will a nylon or cordial upper still perform with Gore-Tex liner? Any particular models of the Crispis or Danners recommended for western hunting? I don’t really know what I’m getting into as far as terrain or weather. This will be my first trip.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I used Danner Pronghorns (all leather and leather cordial) for many years and loved them both. 2 years back I purchased a new pair and they were clearly of lesser quality than my previous ones. Soon after the Pronghorn purchase while in Colorado I stopped in a Scheels store and they had Crispi Wild Rock in my size marked down due to a blemish on the rubber. I struggled with the price but bit the bullet and bought them. I would have never paid full price for them, but they are more than worth the money. I love the stiffness which allows me to put my toe into a steep side hill and go straight up without feeling unsteady from a less stiff sole. It did take me a week or more of wearing them to get used to the stiffness but I absolutely love them now. Lots of Crispi boots on sale now and you can great boots for a great price. Best of luck with your research.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
IMO danner is not what they used to be. My latest pair of pronghorns are a huge disappointment all the way around. I thought they would be a good middle ground boot for hunting here in PA, not so. If you look at Danner, they have an American made line that are supposed to be much better, but of corse, more expensive. I wish I would have paid just a little more and got an American made boot by them. Difference was maybe $150.

tstowater

WKR
Don't skimp on footwear. Find a pair of boots that fit and will be appropriate for the conditions. I had a hard time finding boots that would fit. I have a wide toebox and a narrow heel. Through trial and error and some help from the right people, I ended up with a pair of Crispis and a pair of Zamberlan. The Crispis are uninsulated and so comfortable that I will mow the lawn in them. I'm pretty sure that I wore the Crispis on a mountain lion hunt and it was cold (sub zero) and feet were fine. Good socks are just as important.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. It seems there’s concerns about the quality of Danner. So if I go with soem Crispi boots, Blackovis has a few options which would be available in my price range. The Idaho would still be an option as well as Thor and Dakota and Lapponia. Anyone have input on a choice between these. I see Thor is stiffer , and lapponia is not as stiff as the Idaho and Dakota. Any input on this? Thanks again for all your help.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've never found the need to spend hundreds of dollars on boots. For years I'd hunt into November with all leather merrells. Now I use Solomon 4ds. I have an insulated pair for later that I'll keep around if we get early bad weather.

I've tried on the heavy, substantial boots that are supposed to be a necessity for western hunting, but just don't like the fit. I like boots I can move fast and stalk in.