Best western boots on a budget

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I've never found the need to spend hundreds of dollars on boots. For years I'd hunt into November with all leather merrells. Now I use Solomon 4ds. I have an insulated pair for later that I'll keep around if we get early bad weather.

I've tried on the heavy, substantial boots that are supposed to be a necessity for western hunting, but just don't like the fit. I like boots I can move fast and stalk in.
How do they hold up if there’s snow or constant rain? I get the sentiment. When I don’t wear muck boots I wear soem Columbia giving shoes and never complained. My concern is the guys I’ll be accompanying in this trip said one year they had mild weather with no snow or rain and he next year at the same time and place there could be 2 feet of snow. So I wanna make sure I can cover all the possibilities with the pair of boots I buy. I don’t wanna be out 9 days with boots that get soaked on the first day and miserable for the rest of the trip.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
With a 10% off at blackovis the summit GTX are also in my price range. So I’m kinda floating between the Idaho, summit, and Dakota. If you had to pick one that could handle it all, which would it be and why?

Any thoughts or experiences on the Lowa Renegade GTX Mid? Those are on sale at REI, too.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have the good fortune of living close to where I hunt mostly, but on any multi day trip, most particularly if you are coming from hundreds of miles, always bring a spare boot!

The best boots in my experience are all leather, gortex, light, and flexible. I don't like a super stiff clunky sole, but everyone has different feet and different preferences. I like to feel the ground.

The 4ds are good but do have limitations as most boots do. Some of the crispis look good but I haven't tried them.

Don’t skimp on boots or socks. Blisters will ruin a hunt. Take a look at the Meindls, Crispis or Hanwags.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone wanna weigh in on their pick between the Crispi Summit, Idaho, or Dakota? Which would you pick? Looking for a boot that can handle 50 degrees and sunny but also handle 2 foot of snow if necessary.

sargent

WKR
How do they hold up if there’s snow or constant rain? I get the sentiment. When I don’t wear muck boots I wear soem Columbia giving shoes and never complained. My concern is the guys I’ll be accompanying in this trip said one year they had mild weather with no snow or rain and he next year at the same time and place there could be 2 feet of snow. So I wanna make sure I can cover all the possibilities with the pair of boots I buy. I don’t wanna be out 9 days with boots that get soaked on the first day and miserable for the rest of the trip.
I only have the Lapponias, but I would be confident with anything from Crispi being waterproof. Take gaiters as well to keep snow from entering the top of your boots and/or soaking your pant legs and running into your boots. Also, if you are hunting from a horse or truck camp, take extra boots, even if it is your east coast mucks. I got stuck wearing wet boots for a week once and it was not fun. Good luck.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I only have the Lapponias, but I would be confident with anything from Crispi being waterproof. Take gaiters as well to keep snow from entering the top of your boots and/or soaking your pant legs and running into your boots. Also, if you are hunting from a horse or truck camp, take extra boots, even if it is your east coast mucks. I got stuck wearing wet boots for a week once and it was not fun. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. I reached out to Crispi customer service and they were helpful. They suggested I go with Nevada’s if possible though they are out of my price range, but if I had to go down in price the Dakota would be the next best option. I think your spot on with the gaiters. I’ll keep an eye out for the weather. Right now I’m leaning toward waiting for a sale on Black Ovis or somehere and trying to grab a pair of Dakotas. Take gaiters and hopefully that would cover it all. I’ll take extra boots as well, just not gonna be the most comfortable hiking mountains in muck boots. But I’ll take them along just in case.