Best way to carry bow in backcountry?

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty close. You can adjust the strap lengths easily and on the fly. I keep mine pretty tight and I hook the hooks in a a manner that can’t the string away from my legs. It doesn’t bounce but I do pay attention to my legs rubbing on the cables or the strings going through bushes.
Perfect. Thanks. I’ve been looking at one but don’t want to invest in another bow spider 😂

KneeDeep

FNG
Kifaru Gun Bearer allows you to use hiking poles and have instant bow access. Might have to sew a longer top tether (nylon strap) as the latest ones were short for how I like the bow to tip forward away from my face.

If you are packing the bow in thick alders or willows I’d get a cover for the string, cables and cams. My old Cabelas neoprene cover works good but does render the bow slow to get ready for a shot. I typically use it when backpacking into an area combined with the Gun Bearer but not when hunting.

I have the Gun Bearer on all three of my Kifaru packs and have used them for bow carrying for over 20 years. Haven’t found anything better.
I also use the Kifaru Gun Bearer , but replaced the bucket with a large swivel hook (wrapped once with athletic tape to quiet it down).

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The AKEK pack has a quick release system that attaches your bow or rifle directly to your pack and makes it's super quick to grab. See the brief video below:

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
The AKEK pack has a quick release system that attaches your bow or rifle directly to your pack and makes it's super quick to grab. See the brief video below:

These look great, but you have to buy the whole bag.

Venom One

WKR
besides just carrying it, the kifaru gun bearer is the only way i pack my bow, it's extremely handy, and as fast to get ready as carrying by hand.

if i want to ride a bike, strapped to my pack, besides that, i don't trust it strapped to my pack

It seems like this would be a good option, and it would be nice to have one piece of gear that would carry both rifle and bow, but I have a few questions:

1. For your bow, does the lower cam fit (and stay) in the bucket?
2. I assume you're carrying it with the string UP (riser DOWN), and the upper Gun Bearer strap goes through one of the cam spokes?
3, Is this method hands-free to where you could use trekking poles without the bow flopping around?

It seems like this would be a good option, and it would be nice to have one piece of gear that would carry both rifle and bow, but I have a few questions:

1. For your bow, does the lower cam fit (and stay) in the bucket?
2. I assume you're carrying it with the string UP (riser DOWN), and the upper Gun Bearer strap goes through one of the cam spokes?
3, Is this method hands-free to where you could use trekking poles without the bow flopping around?
I have the bottom cam in the bucket, riser facing UP, and top strap through the riser wherever it’s the most intuitive, and yes, hands free, trekking poles would be no problem, it’s been very steady with the bows I’ve tried in mine

Venom One

WKR
I have the bottom cam in the bucket, riser facing UP, and top strap through the riser wherever it’s the most intuitive, and yes, hands free, trekking poles would be no problem, it’s been very steady with the bows I’ve tried in mine
Thanks, Mike. Sounds like it'll fit my needs.

Any chance you could post a photo of your set up?

Dejhavu

FNG
I use the Primos bow sling. Makes carrying the bow much easier during the first few miles of the hike, until we reach the area we are planning to hunt. If we do happen to encounter a critter before reaching our hunting area, the sling is very easy to remove and throw across the shoulders to enable a shot.

Rosie bull, I got your PM and really appreciate you taking the time to help out. I tried to reply but I don’t have enough posts to PM yet. Just wanted to make sure I was able to thank you for all the time and effort.
Dave

dwhicker

FNG
The bow hitch has been very good for me. Straps onto the pack strap and saves my shoulder a lot of pain and fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosie bull, I got your PM and really appreciate you taking the time to help out. I tried to reply but I don’t have enough posts to PM yet. Just wanted to make sure I was able to thank you for all the time and effort.
Dave
Excellent, it’s been great for me, and the only way I carry my bow if not in hand, if you have any more questions let me know, and I’ll try to help

I never carry my bow in a way that it is not very accessible. Even if there is minimal chance of seeing your target game you should be ready. the only thing other than my hip belt hook I would maybe think about using is the bow spider. But even that requires quite a bit of odd movement to get your bow off your back.

I never carry my bow in a way that it is not very accessible. Even if there is minimal chance of seeing your target game you should be ready. the only thing other than my hip belt hook I would maybe think about using is the bow spider. But even that requires quite a bit of odd movement to get your bow off your back.
That’s the beauty of the gun bearer, I would say it’s a tiny bit faster than carrying your bow in hand by the string, with no additional movement (maybe less, but not measurably in practical terms) I carry mine on my left side, and I can grab the grip with my left hand, pull the tab and it’s ready to rock… it’s as fast as in hand

I know it bugs some people to have the bow sit there but I got used to it quick, especially when I started seeing the benefits of carrying my bow that way.

I still generally have it in hand, but if I’m walking in several miles on trail or closed road, or walking out packing meat, it’s nice to have both hands free. I like it busting through a big salmonberry patch too, I can use both hands to push brush out of the way so I’m not getting whipped in the face by thorny branches the whole way

BKhunter

WKR
besides just carrying it, the kifaru gun bearer is the only way i pack my bow, it's extremely handy, and as fast to get ready as carrying by hand.

if i want to ride a bike, strapped to my pack, besides that, i don't trust it strapped to my pack
Any photos of this set up? I have a gun bearer and think this may be my ticket.