Best way to carry bow in backcountry?

RELIANT

FNG
Funny, I really like the Jakt Gear My-Sling-A-Ling. I typically put the sling on my left shoulder, with the string pointing down and quiver away from my body, and I can control the bow with my left hand while hiking. It definitely rides the best on my left side and is ready for quick deployment since the riser is already in my left hand. If I need to keep the bow a little more secure I clip the sling under my sternum strap which helps keep the sling from sliding off my should should I need to go hands free.

For steeper terrain and side-hilling when I need one trekking pole, I typically keep a trekking pole in the down hill hand and I put the sling on the uphill shoulder and typically try to keep the uphill hand on the bow handle so if I need to control fall into the hill I can raise the bow up to save it from damage as I control fall into the hill and try to roll/fall onto my pack.

I don't really like strapping the bow to the pack, but I have occasionally for initial pack-ins before season and have just strapped it to the back of the pack using the two rear compression straps on the EXO pack and tucking the upper cam under the lid.

I've thought about getting neoprene covers for the string/cams and sight to add some protection to them, but I don't like the idea of having more stuff to take off the bow in preparation for a shot. So I'd probably only use them for the packing in or out or perhaps when when hiking in the dark. I'm just not sure that the protection is worth the extra stuff to carry around and keep track of.

D S 319

WKR
Funny, I really like the Jakt Gear My-Sling-A-Ling. I typically put the sling on my left shoulder, with the string pointing down and quiver away from my body, and I can control the bow with my left hand while hiking. It definitely rides the best on my left side and is ready for quick deployment since the riser is already in my left hand. If I need to keep the bow a little more secure I clip the sling under my sternum strap which helps keep the sling from sliding off my should should I need to go hands free.

For steeper terrain and side-hilling when I need one trekking pole, I typically keep a trekking pole in the down hill hand and I put the sling on the uphill shoulder and typically try to keep the uphill hand on the bow handle so if I need to control fall into the hill I can raise the bow up to save it from damage as I control fall into the hill and try to roll/fall onto my pack.

I don't really like strapping the bow to the pack, but I have occasionally for initial pack-ins before season and have just strapped it to the back of the pack using the two rear compression straps on the EXO pack and tucking the upper cam under the lid.

I've thought about getting neoprene covers for the string/cams and sight to add some protection to them, but I don't like the idea of having more stuff to take off the bow in preparation for a shot. So I'd probably only use them for the packing in or out or perhaps when when hiking in the dark. I'm just not sure that the protection is worth the extra stuff to carry around and keep track of.
It’s definitely a sweet concept I gave it a 3 day trial run and just couldnt get it to ride well. I want to say my load straps we’re getting into the way of a secure fit. I found myself carrying it the majority of the time. My buddy who got one loved it, but he was using more of a day pack and didn’t have any issues with it. My plan now is to just throw on the Sitka bow sling to protect the strings/cams and let er buck.

I've never truly found something I like. I do have the KUIU setup on my bow, but with parallel limbs the bottom cam likes to pop out, especially when the pack is full. It does have a quick release so it is reasonably easy to pull the bow off the pack. I was going to try the Jakt gear thing this year, but sounds like mixed reviews. Might just stick with what I got.... That said, I really dont use it that often and mostly just carry the bow. I do have the string/cam cover as well so that offers some protection and it pulls right off.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
While hunting I carry it. While packing in a strap it to the back of my pack. If I’m beating brush or when walking in whitetail hunting (and when it’s on the pack) I have an alpine bow slicker that covers the strings and a alpine sight slicker (bow sight cover). I used to end up with junk stuck in my slider beating brush in some public i whitetail hunted and the sight cover helped a lot protecting the pin.
Also if you’re worried about bumping the sight/dovetail itself or loosening something, i index all the moving parts and bolts on my bow with a silver sharpie. If I need to slide the dovetail in I can easily find where is was, and you can quickly check if anything has moved after a spill or a particularly hellish stretch.

Edit: I’ll echo the sentiment in some above posts, If it’s shooting light and there’s a chance of you stumbling into an animal, don’t keep the slickers on the bow. I’ve been burned by that.
WT hunting a doe stood up from bedding in the long grass within view of my truck in the WMA parking lot, 15 yds from me broadside.

I carry my bow in my hand with a bow string protector over the string and cams. I'll strap it to my pack for the meat packout, or if hiking in the dark.

You have your bow put up too much during daylight hours and it's going to cost you an opportunity. Ask me how I know.

tntrker

WKR
I have a Sling from Jakt Gear, a Bow Spider, and a Sitka bow sling. Right now, just trecking through the woods prepping, I like the Bow Spider..

When navigating (moving around) in the field, it's my hand at all times, whether I'm backpacking to a camp location or away from a camp, actively engaged with trying to find an animal to slay. And I always keep it within arm's reach at camp. Never know when a shot will present itself.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Yea the OP (me) was asking best way to pack my bow in the backcountry on a pack, or maybe a sling. I was kinda frustrated with all the- “bow is always in my hand, always, period” responses. That doesn’t really help me. It’s my fault for not being more clear about my hunting situation. I’m in Arizona packing up giant ridges to glass. Might be out all day long, and the bow is coming with.
I’m hiking some steep stuff and the treking poles are a life saver. I’m not stalking around the deep woods cow calling with the bow strapped to my back. I’m packing, I’m hoofin it on the heel toe express, cookin miles. Where I’m hunting you can see for thousands of yards. Literally thousands. Yes maybe I’ll bump a bedded deer and it’ll stop to give me the look and I’ll be cursing myself for not having bow in hand. But the odds of that happening are not very high. If I don’t glass up the deer and play the wind, and let them bed down, and work in on it the right way, there is zero, and I do mean ZERO chance I’ll be within bow range before the deer see me and are moving out. You cannot walk up to these deer, it won’t happen. I carry a bow for miles just to glass a new valley with hopes of coming up with a game plan once deer are spotted. I am hunting, but i am not on a stalk.

That should clarify why I’m looking for a bow carry system. I strap it to my pack but often need access to pack for additional layers of clothing, food, toilet paper… it’s a hassle strapping the bow down to my pack snug so it doesn’t shift around, and then taking it off next draw over to get my big glass, or glassing pad (another lifesaver) out of pack, only to reattach bow minutes later to move up another ridge.
I was thinking that maybe someone has come up with a bow scabbard that would hold bow between pack and frame. Or maybe that Montana bow sling is perfect idk.. looks like it would rub on legs, trekking poles, hip belt. Maybe the bow spyder thing? Looks like it would clank around. That is the wisdom I seek.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I am climbing around in Arizona with my bow, like in the Mazatzals or Galiuros, it's always in my hands. Ditto for sheep country in Alaska. I never strap my bow to my pack, nor sling it, because might have to nock an arrow and shoot it without a moment's notice.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Yea the OP (me) was asking best way to pack my bow in the backcountry on a pack, or maybe a sling. I was kinda frustrated with all the- “bow is always in my hand, always, period” responses. That doesn’t really help me. It’s my fault for not being more clear about my hunting situation. I’m in Arizona packing up giant ridges to glass. Might be out all day long, and the bow is coming with.
I’m hiking some steep stuff and the treking poles are a life saver. I’m not stalking around the deep woods cow calling with the bow strapped to my back. I’m packing, I’m hoofin it on the heel toe express, cookin miles. Where I’m hunting you can see for thousands of yards. Literally thousands. Yes maybe I’ll bump a bedded deer and it’ll stop to give me the look and I’ll be cursing myself for not having bow in hand. But the odds of that happening are not very high. If I don’t glass up the deer and play the wind, and let them bed down, and work in on it the right way, there is zero, and I do mean ZERO chance I’ll be within bow range before the deer see me and are moving out. You cannot walk up to these deer, it won’t happen. I carry a bow for miles just to glass a new valley with hopes of coming up with a game plan once deer are spotted. I am hunting, but i am not on a stalk.

That should clarify why I’m looking for a bow carry system. I strap it to my pack but often need access to pack for additional layers of clothing, food, toilet paper… it’s a hassle strapping the bow down to my pack snug so it doesn’t shift around, and then taking it off next draw over to get my big glass, or glassing pad (another lifesaver) out of pack, only to reattach bow minutes later to move up another ridge.
I was thinking that maybe someone has come up with a bow scabbard that would hold bow between pack and frame. Or maybe that Montana bow sling is perfect idk.. looks like it would rub on legs, trekking poles, hip belt. Maybe the bow spyder thing? Looks like it would clank around. That is the wisdom I seek.
Im not telling you you need a new pack or anything, but a pack with a full length side zip is a great solution to this. Mine doesn’t come off the pack if it’s strapped in and I need to stop and grab lunch or a layer or whatever

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a bow spider last year. Loved the concept (still do) and was mesmerized by the videos. I hunt big, steep and tight mountains, lots of miles, and want both hands free if I can. The bow spider was a bust. Attachment straps too short, loud plastic, difficult to blindly find the opening for the post... I emailed them a list of cost effective and simple improvements I thought they could make. They emailed back once and told me to apply the disc to my ($1000) pack with the rivets.
All that to say, and it pains me to say it, I’ve become the guy who carry’s my bow 95% of the time, tired arms and all, and will attach it to the back of my pack with straps in the rare occasion I’m going up something tricky.
I gave the bow spider to a friend who tree stand hunts and wish I hadn’t spent $80 on it or whatever they cost.

rclouse79

WKR
I bought a bow spider last year. Loved the concept (still do) and was mesmerized by the videos. I hunt big, steep and tight mountains, lots of miles, and want both hands free if I can. The bow spider was a bust. Attachment straps too short, loud plastic, difficult to blindly find the opening for the post... I emailed them a list of cost effective and simple improvements I thought they could make. They emailed back once and told me to apply the disc to my ($1000) pack with the rivets.
All that to say, and it pains me to say it, I’ve become the guy who carry’s my bow 95% of the time, tired arms and all, and will attach it to the back of my pack with straps in the rare occasion I’m going up something tricky.
I gave the bow spider to a friend who tree stand hunts and wish I hadn’t spent $80 on it or whatever they cost.
I wish there was a cleaner and more secure way to attack the puck to my pack as well, but I managed to make it work. My biggest complaint was the bow would actually pivot and smack me when contorting my body while going over deadfall or other obstacles. When hiking in the dark with a buddy I would have them clip the bottom of my bow to my pack with one of the lower straps which fixed that problem. When I put my arms behind my back I found I could feel the bottom of my bow behind the bottom of my pack. I plan to rig some sort of hook I can use to attach to the bottom of my bow by feel for next season. Although the bowspider does have its drawbacks, the pluses are too great for me to give up on it quite yet.

rclouse79

WKR
I also really enjoyed having a second puck mounted to my hip belt that I could hang my bow from when I needed to glass or have two hands for some other task.

If I'm scrambling or bushwacking I strap it to the back of the backpack with a cover over the sight. If hiking in a ways to get past unproductive elk country I'll just strap it down until I get to my destination.

Last edited:

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I wish there was a cleaner and more secure way to attack the puck to my pack as well, but I managed to make it work. My biggest complaint was the bow would actually pivot and smack me when contorting my body while going over deadfall or other obstacles. When hiking in the dark with a buddy I would have them clip the bottom of my bow to my pack with one of the lower straps which fixed that problem. When I put my arms behind my back I found I could feel the bottom of my bow behind the bottom of my pack. I plan to rig some sort of hook I can use to attach to the bottom of my bow by feel for next season. Although the bowspider does have its drawbacks, the pluses are too great for me to give up on it quite yet.
Great idea

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Guys, I bought a Montana bow sling and I really enjoy it. It isn’t the perfect fix all, but it helps. I don’t really like my bow in my pack and it’s a hassle to carry it everywhere too. I recommend trying the Montana bow sling

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I bought a Montana bow sling and I really enjoy it. It isn’t the perfect fix all, but it helps. I don’t really like my bow in my pack and it’s a hassle to carry it everywhere too. I recommend trying the Montana bow sling
Does it hold your bow pretty close and stable to your side or does it let the bow bounce a good bit?

Zaubr306

FNG
I strap mine to my pack for the most part and don’t use poles so my hands are free. I hunt in the mountains so I generally have a big hike in where it’s strapped back, then glass and when I find something, carry it in my hands.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Does it hold your bow pretty close and stable to your side or does it let the bow bounce a good bit?
Pretty close. You can adjust the strap lengths easily and on the fly. I keep mine pretty tight and I hook the hooks in a a manner that can’t the string away from my legs. It doesn’t bounce but I do pay attention to my legs rubbing on the cables or the strings going through bushes.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
The problem I had with bow on pack was
1,Cam too high caught in trees
2, Cam too low hitting rocks can’t sit down on steep hills.
3,Center of gravity all goofed up balance off
4, must remove bow to grab any little item out of pack (hat, snacks, 15s, jacket)

I still do sometimes put it on my pack but I also like having it accessible in the sling while still having hands available to climb or glass or use trekking poles or use two hands to do mapping apps