Best State for Resident Hunting Opportunties

z987k

Well Known Rokslider
A vast number of urbanites in Alaska own planes. It's mind boggling. Freaking planes flying everywhere, all the time. Nowadays we spend more time watching out for idiot pilots who could, can and will smash into us, than we do looking for things on the ground beneath us. The days of relatively peaceful skies we knew back in the 1960's and 70's are gone forever.
You just have to get out of south central.

Mykolaivka887

Well Known Rokslider
Yeah, long way to take the PA-18 for a tour of the Lower-48. I do the commercial airline route when heading down there.

But back to the OP's initial question; Alaska definitely favors residents when it comes to consumptive uses of wild animals, not to mention all the social welfare programs up here.

frogman43

Have already made this decision for myself. When I retire, I'm buying a small house in Wyoming for just these reasons.....

Yoder

Well Known Rokslider
North central PA for white tail, elk, and bear, and plenty of birds and small game
I agree except for the elk part. They only give out like 150 tags/year. You might draw a tag every hundred years or so.

Hnthrdr

Well Known Rokslider
AK if you can handle it, Wyoming or Montana would be my next choice, why did my ancestors pick Co? Wyoming is kick ass and will take decades to get ruined like Co is, if I wasn’t tied to my FD career and my wife didn’t own a business here we would pack up and head north

Hnthrdr

Well Known Rokslider
Depends on how much variety and what you like to hunt most.

Wyoming has crap for bird hunting. If upland and waterfowl are important, Montana and Idaho absolutely crush Wyoming. We have a short sage grouse season, planted pheasants, and very average mountain grouse hunting.

Montana and Idaho have better bear hunting than Wyoming as well.

Montana has better whitetail hunting than Wyoming...and should have better elk and mule deer hunting if they would manage.

Mule deer at the top of your list, Colorado is a better bet than any other state.

Pronghorn a top priority, yeah, Wyoming by a landslide.

Throw fishing in the mix...that could change your choice as well.
Buzzy I cal Bs on the waterfowl ;) Wyoming has great goose and duck hunting, upland isn’t great but that is what the Dakotas are for and they are right next door

Mojave

Well Known Rokslider
There is no such thing as a hidden gem anymore.

Yukon and NWT maybe, Greenland, Northern Quebec.