Best rain gear for back packing in for elk

Chance of rain where I was for 2nd rifle last season was 0% for the entire week.

It rained every night, one night from sunset to about 30 minutes before sunrise.

My buddy bought a pair and tore the bottoms within the first few minutes on a branch. Not very durable. But if you are in easy terrain its an option.

My experience with Silnylon is it allows water to run off as long as it’s not contacting another surface,like your skin or other clothing layers.

That said I’d be interested to hear how this turns out if you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, that stuff wicks water

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kryptek Jupiter set is pretty reasonable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Anyone have any advice for rain gear that you can use as an outer shell? For instance to use in the later seasons or winter fishing over the top of a puffy? Trying to find something that is light enough for the archery season yet durable enough to hunt in use year round and possible wear more often than the occasional storm that rolls through. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any advice for rain gear that you can use as an outer shell? For instance to use in the later seasons or winter fishing over the top of a puffy? Trying to find something that is light enough for the archery season yet durable enough to hunt in use year round and possible wear more often than the occasional storm that rolls through. Thoughts?

That’s exactly why I bought this https://www.campsaver.com/mammut-masao-hs-hooded-jacket-men-s.html. Only downside is it’s a lefty zipper but I got used to it. My large is 13oz packs well but not as small as the cabelas space rain. It passed the down pour test several times.

Of all my years archery elk hunting in Sept, 2013 was the wettest - and I survived that year with less than expensive rain gear.

Most times, its just an afternoon monsoonal rain storm. More of an inconvenience than anything.

How was the sizing on this jacket. I’m 5’ 11”. 215. Usually wear a size large or xl.

Athletic cut. If you have the chance to try one s Sitka dewpoint the mammut will be longer with a little less girth.

Don’t underestimate military surplus. I have used a simple goretex shell I brought for $25. It has never let me down.

I would recommend putting gaiters in your pack. Most of the storms are in the afternoon. Walking around in wet knee high grass then getting back to camp at dark with wet pants is no fun.

Back