Rain gear Southeast Alaska

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I am weighing in on this thread again because high end rain gear has been one of my favorite hunting clothes purchases. So much so I have kinda became a proselyte for it.

I used to have 'impermeable' rain gear. Sure it would stop the rain, but you would get soaked from ANY body moisture at all. Perhaps if you wore several breathable layers below it and stayed completely still or darn close to it, it would be ok. I hate the stuff. If it is warm enough to rain and not snow you will wet it out from the inside asap. If it is snowing about any DWR will keep you dry.

I live and hunt in North Idaho and its pretty wet here during hunting season. I have been on two Alaska hunting trips and three fishing trips. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that I would choose KUIU/First Lite/Sitka premium rain gear for my trip. PVC and impermeable raingear is awful. Cheap breathable raingear is just as bad.

YMMV and let us know how happy you were with what you chose.
I agree I would rather be wet than wear ‘impermeable’ rain gear. That instant heat suffocation i feel in my crotch area is the most uncomfortable thing in the world.

I agree I would rather be wet than wear ‘impermeable’ rain gear. That instant heat suffocation i feel in my crotch area is the most uncomfortable thing in the world.
I guess that depends your hunting style. I hate rain gear. I would sooner set up a sill tarp and sit under it all day and glass, than try to cover ground when it’s raining. So I rarely actually wear my rain gear. I rarely even carry it. But if I do have to break it out, I want 100% waterproof. Nothing with “tiny little holes that breathe” so that the heat gets out, but the water can’t get in. I always kinda laughed at that concept. Notice how they don’t make boats like that? Ha ha.

For me, the other factor is dry time. Impermeable rain gear like Hell Hansen Impertech dries fast. Turn it inside out and it airs out quickly and easily. Breathable rain gear typically has an outer layer and a waterproof liner. By the way, I still sweat like hell in that stuff. But the outer layer absorbs water. Often times lots of it. It needs thoroughly dried every night, usually with a heat source. And worse yet it needs dried out on the inside AND the outside. Those are two dealbreakers for me.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I guess that depends your hunting style. I hate rain gear. I would sooner set up a sill tarp and sit under it all day and glass, than try to cover ground when it’s raining. So I rarely actually wear my rain gear. I rarely even carry it. But if I do have to break it out, I want 100% waterproof. Nothing with “tiny little holes that breathe” so that the heat gets out, but the water can’t get in. I always kinda laughed at that concept. Notice how they don’t make boats like that? Ha ha.

For me, the other factor is dry time. Impermeable rain gear like Hell Hansen Impertech dries fast. Turn it inside out and it airs out quickly and easily. Breathable rain gear typically has an outer layer and a waterproof liner. By the way, I still sweat like hell in that stuff. But the outer layer absorbs water. Often times lots of it. It needs thoroughly dried every night, usually with a heat source. And worse yet it needs dried out on the inside AND the outside. Those are two dealbreakers for me.
I do 70 days of backpack hunting in one of the wettest climates on earth and I’m taking water proof breathable rain gear 10 out of 10 times. If you want to have swamp ass, and Jock itch, more power to you.

I do 70 days of backpack hunting in one of the wettest climates on earth and I’m taking water proof breathable rain gear 10 out of 10 times. If you want to have swamp ass, and Jock itch, more power to you.
IF those were a problem, wet wipes would solve it. But it’s not. Like I said, I bet there’s not a person on here that hasn’t sweated profusely in breathable rain gear. If it’s waterproof, it’s holding heat. Period.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
IF those were a problem, wet wipes would solve it. But it’s not. Like I said, I bet there’s not a person on here that hasn’t sweated profusely in breathable rain gear. If it’s waterproof, it’s holding heat. Period.

Every snow/winter expedition ive done I was in my shell both top and bottom the entire time. I have done 40 miles days with my shell on and have spent 20 days straight in it. No sweating problems. Rain in alaska isn't just a 30 minute downpour then it stops. The sky can be misting and spitting non stop for weeks on end. You will be hiking in your rain jacket, you will be living in it. Water proof breathable rain gear will never fail 100% its still blocking 80-90% of the rain in a worst case scenario. When the rain slows or you’re under a tarp, or you start hiking your body heat will force that moisture out and you will be dry and if you experience strong winds the face fabric will dry in minutes. You sound like someone who has spent very little time actually wearing rain gear. I just got done from 3 day Backpacking trip and for the one entire day I had my shell on.