Rain gear Southeast Alaska

OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG
I honestly think I would melt in the impertech. It’s such a hardcore climb. My body is basically a furnace. I used to work in Ferndale Washington in that stuff in the fuel industry. If I was doing any sort of physical activity I was drenched. I’ll be running synthetic base layers for certain. I’ll be using the Sitka Kelvin 30 synthetic bag. No way I’m having a science experiment with down up there!

OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG
I can't help much here. I crawled through most of se Ak in 1976. Like Logger Dan I spent most of my time in Filson tin pants. What rain gear I brought from Montana was shredded by the the jungle and rocks. As they shredded I repaired them with grey duct tape. By August my bibs looked like silver leiderhozen. I gave up on bug dopes and applied mud.

I bitched about rain until we got to POW and had 14 days of sunshine with the worst bugs with humidity that I had ever seen. After that the rain was quite pleasant. Once you got soaked, you just kept moving and you stayed warm.

I think I was home for a month before the last devils club spine came out of my arm. Everything in life is indexed by your worst experience. Southeast was my index.

OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG
So, I decided on the Kuiu Yukon Jacket. Liked the M5 pants. Going to also take the impertech from helly Hansen. For boots, I’m going to take both Schnee’s granite uninsulated and a pair of xtra tuff boots. I’ll be running either Katoola xts crampons or the petzel instep 6. Jury’s still out on the spikes.

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
So, I decided on the Kuiu Yukon Jacket. Liked the M5 pants. Going to also take the impertech from helly Hansen. For boots, I’m going to take both Schnee’s granite uninsulated and a pair of xtra tuff boots. I’ll be running either Katoola xts crampons or the petzel instep 6. Jury’s still out on the spikes.

Good choice! I use the Yukon stuff most times. If it’s going to be downright nasty, I leave it at home and bust out the rubbers.

Everybody is different. But I live here in SE. I hated the insteps. I opt to just carry full on crampons now. If I need spikes, I want all the spikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG
Good advice! So if you are going to take all the spikes…..does that mean the katoola k-10 or the katoola xts?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Good advice! So if you are going to take all the spikes…..does that mean the katoola k-10 or the katoola xts?

I have these and I’ve used them for four years now without any breakage..I like the ski boot clips much better than the plastic clips of the k10. Just my .02

OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG

I have these and I’ve used them for four years now without any breakage..I like the ski boot clips much better than the plastic clips of the k10. Just my .02

Looks Interesting! Would they work with X-tra Tuff’s? Better yet, am I insane for taking X-tra tuffs up there? I know it’s crazy steep. I just can’t see leather holding up to two weeks of that well at all.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Looks Interesting! Would they work with X-tra Tuff’s? Better yet, am I insane for taking X-tra tuffs up there? I know it’s crazy steep. I just can’t see leather holding up to two weeks of that well at all.

If you have quality boots, treat them and have at er. I wear scarps kinesis. On my third pair. They last a few seasons.

Tuffs may be nice for camp days down on the salt though. I’d fly in with them on, and then leave them on the boat or in camp depending how you’re hunt style is going to be.

I would take HH and a set of light weight gear. No matter how expensive light weight rain gear is eventually it gets wet in AK and nearly impossible to dry out. Keep the HH at base camp until you need it. Are you flying in?

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
YMMV, but tuffs and spikes is a poor combo in my opinion. There's no real ankle support, so if the spikes catch or stick you can tweak an ankle. A stiff sole and spikes is four wheel drive. I've known lots of people to spend all day running up and down hill just in tuffs, but we were young and dumb and used to it. Unless you're weight-limited I'd take boots and tuffs, you can see which work for you, and if nothing else it's nice having a dry pair at camp.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be scrambling around admiralty mid September for blacktail/possibly brown bear, bringing both tuffs and leather boots, tuffs for down by the boat/ base camp (have one of the cabins reserved)/backup, leather/goretex boots with gaiters for hiking up into the alpine. My brother that lives there wears tuffs for almost everything, but he even got some leather boots for this hike/trip.

Hh impertech for still hunting/ glassing, Yukon for the hike up/down. All I have at the moment is the hh jacket, waiting for the solid color Yukon's to go on sale (or the rumored new version to come out this summer?) And for the green/brown hh bibs to come back in stock in my size.

Are spikes really needed in September? My flatlander brain thinks they are more of a later season thing/wasn't planning on bringing any. Please educate me if I'm being dumb @as.ks.ak

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Please send pics if you run crampons on X-tra tuffs. I would want to see those before any other photos! You could look at plastic or synthetic boots to deal with the wet. I've used Zamberlan 2092. They have a high rand and with gaiters the little bit of leather wasn't that exposed. They are also crampon compatible.

I recommend merino wool underlayers. Synthetics will stink fairly quickly. I grew up elk hunting in rain forests. This was pre-Gore-Tex. It was HH or all wool. We typically went all wool , but we were able to dry out every evening. We always had HH and used it during downpours, but I found if I was moving, I would be soaked. Bring the HH if you have it as backup.

Don't forget gloves that can withstand devils club and to help with climbing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
WyoArk

WyoArk

FNG
So, I thought I would update what I decided on, gear wise for boots. I am taking two pair of the scarps/kuiu rebel K’s. I will be running the Katoola kts spikes. Idea being that I will rotate boots every other day.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be scrambling around admiralty mid September for blacktail/possibly brown bear, bringing both tuffs and leather boots, tuffs for down by the boat/ base camp (have one of the cabins reserved)/backup, leather/goretex boots with gaiters for hiking up into the alpine. My brother that lives there wears tuffs for almost everything, but he even got some leather boots for this hike/trip.

Hh impertech for still hunting/ glassing, Yukon for the hike up/down. All I have at the moment is the hh jacket, waiting for the solid color Yukon's to go on sale (or the rumored new version to come out this summer?) And for the green/brown hh bibs to come back in stock in my size.

Are spikes really needed in September? My flatlander brain thinks they are more of a later season thing/wasn't planning on bringing any. Please educate me if I'm being dumb @as.ks.ak
Well I guess I missed the boat on that color, the green/brown impertech has been discontinued according to HH customer service. Looks like I'm getting some black bibs. No big deal.

as.ks.ak

WKR

Spikes are nice on the steep grassy slopes when it rains. If you lose you’re footing, you’re going for a serious ride. They don’t weigh shit so I always have some form of spikes. Whether that be micro spikes, hillsound ratcheting crampons or full on crampons.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted SE AK several years ago and wore the impetech. Climbing in it is not fun, but it keeps the rain out.

I would check out these pants from Mantle. They are designed for pretty hard use. They make a jacket but it only comes in black for now and the hood is made to cover ear pro so it maybe a little bulky. The guy that runs it does some pretty physical training courses and his clothing made to match.