Best footwear

bayou0509

FNG
Classified Approved
Kenetrek mountain extreme worked well for me. Insulated vs un-insulated is strictly preference IMO. Good merino wool socks are a game changer also.

SonnyDay

WKR
Another vote for Crispi. I have the Thor II GTXs as well, and wear them (with gaiters as needed) in everything from hot and dry to pouring rain to three feet of snow. They are uninsulated but my feet tend to run warm.

But the key is finding a brand that fits your feet, and then dialing in on specific models and features…

IMO danner boots are junk, and that comes after years of wearing them in uniform and in some rough mountainous terrain both hunting and as a Marine. You can find some of the best mountain boots on sale for not much more that you would pay for Danner and get a lot better ankle and foot platform support. The key to keeping feet dry in snow, IMO, is gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn uninsulated Danner vitals for the last few years and haven't had any sort of problem with moisture, but I also don't traipse around in very deep snow often. I do step in streams though.

Last edited:

JK47

FNG
Kenetrek Mountain Guides. I basically live in mine. Work and play. They fit my feet like a glove right out of the box. I keep a pair of gaiters at all times.

I may pick up some Asolo’s to try. I have some buddies that like them.

rancher71

FNG
I went on my first elk hunt last year in Colorado during third rifle season. Learned a lot from that hunt, especially having appropriate footwear.

I wore my Danner combat boots. Of all of the water I have been through in them, my feet have never gotten wet. Well while hiking through up to 3 feet of snow, my feet got soaked. This ended hunts early and made it miserable while still out hunting.

What footwear do you use while hiking through snow that keep your feet dry and are also comfortable?
New to this site. Hello everyone

Mark.c

FNG
In the military I used Danner boots in very snowy cold winter weather with good results. Danner’s are much better than issued military boots. That being said, a set of high-end hunting boots are even better. I would suggest pairing them with knee-high gaiters.

Whatever quality brand that fit YOUR feet best. Just because brand “A” worked great for someone doesn’t mean it will for you. Get good quality gaiters. A lot of time wet feet is from snow or dew that travels down your socks and not your boots leaking.

Wireman07

WKR
Find whatever fits your feet good, whether it be kennetrek, crispi, schnees, lowa or any other reputable boot company. I bought my first "good" pair of boots last year. I bought the Schnee Beartooth 0g, and I wish I would have bought a good pair of boots years ago instead of being a tight wad and keep buying sub par boots. Definatley worth the investment. I would also say invest in some leg gaiters as well.

I’d say test a few brands out. If my crispi Nevadas weren’t so expensive I woulda thrown them in the trash by now. Tried to love them but they don’t fit me well at all. Exploring some options, I tried oboz ended up returning them. Next up to try is the Schnee beartooths.