Best Fixed Blade Broadheads for Elk

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t understand how guys spend thousands on optics, $1k plus on a bow, hundreds on a sight and release, hundreds on arrows, then bitch about spending $30 for a broadhead vs $10. Like that’s the deal breaker when you wait all year and prepare all year for elk season? Yep, Iron Will are expensive, but they are exceptional. No one who is hunting elk is going broke over $20.
I bought a pack of ST's 100 standard, QAD swept & full blade, Muzzys, Montecs and the 100 gr vented Iron Will's. The Exodus swept shot best out of my bow and that's what I'm taking to Wyoming. I wanted to love on the Wills, but they were the least accurate for me.
Good luck to everyone

jmez

WKR
I can’t understand how guys spend thousands on optics, $1k plus on a bow, hundreds on a sight and release, hundreds on arrows, then bitch about spending $30 for a broadhead vs $10. Like that’s the deal breaker when you wait all year and prepare all year for elk season? Yep, Iron Will are expensive, but they are exceptional. No one who is hunting elk is going broke over $20.
Need vs want. Plenty of elk killed prior to Iron Will being available. There's ample evidence you don't need a $30 BH or a 1k bow.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

seiowabow

FNG
Hey guys,

I’m looking for the best broadheads for elk that won’t break the bank and that fly accurate to my field points. Last year I used the Grim Reaper Hades 100grain and was really disappointed in how different they flew from my field points, even with a well tuned bow. I startedusing Swackers for Deer and LOVE them. They fly just like my FP’s. But they wouldn’t be ideal for a big elk.
Yes, I’d love some Ironwill’s, but I can’t swing the sticker price. Also, can’t be mechanical for the state I’m hunting in. I’ve shot slick tricks for deer as well. What are your go to fixed blade broadheads for elk that fly the same as field points? Thanks!!
How are you tuning? I can shoot any head I want from my bow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lots of good choices. I currently really like slick trick standards 100 grain. Have had good luck with cheap muzzys and mixed results with wac’em. Actually started calling the track’ems.

Typically something not made in China. QAD exodus, WASP, Musacchia (actually muzzys made by the same family), etc.

Just better quality than what ferdyne or whatever big outdoor company that uses production overseas can produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatanka17

FNG
Iron Will, Cutthroat, and Slick Trick standards are my go to. Shoot what flys best out of your setup. Shot placement and accuracy are key.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
For elk I personally want a cut on contact head. I spend a fair amount of time getting my bow, myself and my arrows in tune. The bow is easy, as are my arrows with nock tuning etc, but getting me tuned up is probably the hardest part. Easy to get sloppy or develop bad habits.

But as far as broadheads, I spent a good bit of time trying to get my G5 Strikers to fly perfect with my setup, and although they did fairly well, I found two other heads that just fly perfect. The Strickland Helix single bevels and one of my old favorites, the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. I remember the first year I tried Buzzcuts. I had the best year of my life. I shot everything under the sun that year and enjoyed doing it. Excellent blood trails, heads flew incredible, and the warranty is second to none. The Buzzcuts are popping hair sharp right out of the package which is very important as well. Seems like the Buzzcuts gave me better blood trails than the regular Stingers, but tat is hard to say one is better than the other, they both work well.

Keedman

FNG
Haven't tired much personally but I think my magnus buzzcuts fly better than the mechanicals I'm trying out. Super strong to imo. My back stop is a retaining wall. The stinger that hit it was slighlt bent. Could have used the warranty but that was all on me.

LostArra

WKR
If some version of Slick Trick, Exodus or Stinger won't work killing anything including elk then there are other bow or shooting issues causing a problem.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
QAD Exodus shoots with field points for me out to at least 50 yards

It's amazing that VPA's never get brought up in this conversation anymore. They were a hot head for like 2 years, then everyone got bored with them because they work too damn well, at just a little more money than the Magnus types. Seriously, check out the 3 blade VPA's. They spin true, are machined out of solid steel, get nice and sharp with nothing but a file, and they cost 45-50 bucks per 3 pack.

Look at Magnus Stingers, I've shot them since they came out almost 20 years ago and they have always got the job done. When you hit bone or pass through and hit rock or a tree and damage the head, send them to Mike and he'll send you new broadheads for free for life! How can you beat that? I shoot the 125 grain 2 blades in both my compound and my trad bows. A 4 blade might be better for elk to create a larger hole, but the 2 blades have worked and fly just like field points, plus they are made right here in Kansas. Why would I shoot anything else?

JLowry

FNG
I've shot several with Montec 125's and have only caved a blade on one. Went to the VPA solid blade configuration and won't shoot anything else. I use the 125s, 175s and 200s. Sharpen easily with a mill bastard file in less than 2 minutes from the package.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Im very happy with my Strickland Helix 200gr. I have taken 2 bull elk with them now and had clean pass throughs on both.

Hey guys,

I’m looking for the best broadheads for elk that won’t break the bank and that fly accurate to my field points. Last year I used the Grim Reaper Hades 100grain and was really disappointed in how different they flew from my field points, even with a well tuned bow.
this part gets kind of difficult to make any recommendations..... your bow was not well tuned... if it was, then your arrows were not spinning true. any relatively small profile fixed head shoots fine if the arrow spins true, and most won't if your bow isn't tuned.

if i tune my bow, shoot broadheads and get a different POI, that's a clue something isn't right.... an obvious clue. life will be much easier if you just take the extra steps and get your setup dialed in.

if you are in a rush right now/don't believe me, or don't care, just get some broadheads of your choice and sight in with them, i used to do that back in the day and killed plenty of elk that way, but it's not the best option, especially if you are shooting at any range.

could be a lot of things, a bare shaft at 20-30yds will tell you how bad it is.... or if it's close, just broadhead tune and don't worry about bare shaft tuning until post season.