Best Fixed Blade Broadheads for Elk

Hey guys,

I’m looking for the best broadheads for elk that won’t break the bank and that fly accurate to my field points. Last year I used the Grim Reaper Hades 100grain and was really disappointed in how different they flew from my field points, even with a well tuned bow. I startedusing Swackers for Deer and LOVE them. They fly just like my FP’s. But they wouldn’t be ideal for a big elk.
Yes, I’d love some Ironwill’s, but I can’t swing the sticker price. Also, can’t be mechanical for the state I’m hunting in. I’ve shot slick tricks for deer as well. What are your go to fixed blade broadheads for elk that fly the same as field points? Thanks!!

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
Slick tricks here, 125s. They fly great, killed a few animals with them and they fly with my field points. Wife shoots montecs and has had all pass throughs on her animals pulling 58 lbs and 251 FPS. Impressive in my eyes.
I nearly went with the kudus, they fly great. but I decided I wanted 3 blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
The Micro Hades is one of the best shooting fixed blades on the market. I could shoot them on a bare shaft and smack carbon with my field points. What process are you using to tune?

KHNC

WKR
I have used Ramcat 100's for years. I got irritated and changed heads after they sold the company to a large group. Didnt find anything better so i am back to ramcat for this season. I have killed hogs, turkeys , deer and elk with them and they are great. Iron Will is a great head as well, but no better than a Ramcat in my opinion at almost triple the cost.

nphunter

WKR
Kudu 100’s fly very well, maybe not quite as well as Solid or IW 100’s but very close and are much less expensive. If you are shooting much over 280fps a fixed head will get very difficult to tune, I’m taking constantly hitting the mark at 60+. When I use to shoot over 300fps with my elk arrows the only heads I could get to fly acceptable for me were Solid Legends and Kudu 100’s. That was before IW existed. To me acceptable is keeping a 7” group at 70 yards, most heads flew decent out to about 50, after that things significantly opened up with most fixed heads.

You will get better results staying with 1 1/8” or smaller COC style heads if accuracy is your number one goal. If your having issues getting the grim reapers to fly you won’t like the exodus or similar heads.

Ucsdryder

WKR
So many good choices. I think in the reasonably priced heads I would probably go magnus black hornet or qad exodus if I was starting over.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t understand how guys spend thousands on optics, $1k plus on a bow, hundreds on a sight and release, hundreds on arrows, then bitch about spending $30 for a broadhead vs $10. Like that’s the deal breaker when you wait all year and prepare all year for elk season? Yep, Iron Will are expensive, but they are exceptional. No one who is hunting elk is going broke over $20.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I was shooting Exodus out to 60 with great results, never shot further. This year I shot the Magnus Stinger 4 blade at 60,70, and 80 and each shot was a 10 ring. Will probably have both of them in my quiver this year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can’t understand how guys spend thousands on optics, $1k plus on a bow, hundreds on a sight and release, hundreds on arrows, then bitch about spending $30 for a broadhead vs $10.

I do a cost benefit analysis on pretty much everything I buy and use. If that $10 item works just as well as the $30 item, then why not save $20? But in the case of BH's, most guys probably don't just buy one head.........so the savings is $20 times whatever quantity they buy.

But you also have to look at the characteristics of one head versus the other as well. Some guys prefer 3 blades to 2 or 4 so there's more to it than just price as well.

Beendare

WKR
I can’t understand how guys spend thousands on optics, $1k plus on a bow, hundreds on a sight and release, hundreds on arrows, then bitch about spending $30 for a broadhead vs $10. .....

Simple; 20 hunts a year, many lost heads, buried in the soft ground, etc....which happens when you shoot through a bunch of animals with COC heads. I lost 3 heads just on hog hunts this year with my recurve- 2 through hogs...and one miss [it happens]

Plus I shoot a lot in the woods to stay sharp.......which accounts for some heads lost in stumps. I don't want to not shoot because my BH is too expensive- where's the fun in that?

Then there is the main reason I shoot less expensive heavy blade cow heads; with that design, you don't need to shoot super steel heads for them to be sharp all the way through the animal. And you can reuse them by touching up.

Nothing against super steel heads like Iron Will- they are no doubt the cream of the crop [though small].

My guess is we are from different generations. Yeah, I am somewhat frugal even though now I'm a member of the one percent....but that frugality is partially why I'm where I am.

A lesson for the millennial generation? grin

_____

TX_Diver

WKR
I like Magnus for the non $30/piece heads.

I'm trying the IWs this year and just posted some Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts for sale. Mike is a great guy and stands behind his product. The one elk I took didn't make it 100 yards. Pass-through from 50 yards with a 62lb bow shooting around 250 something fps.