Best Credit Card? What an oxymoron.

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best card for the outdoorsman in terms of rewards, cash back and interest charged. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
This one depends. If you can keep a tight rein on spending they can be quite rewarding. I think we all know the downsides, so I won't belabor them.

I have Chase Freedom Flex and Sapphire Preferred personally, and an Ink Unlimited business card. On some of Chase's cards you can transfer points to airline or hotel loyalty programs, and get quite a bit more value than just 1:1.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I use Scheels. Costs me nothing as I certainly don't put anything on it I can't afford to pay off immediately.

My plan is to save the rewards to spend towards a spotting scope.

It also give me another emergency way of paying for things if there is a problem with my accounts. Been there, done that.

What woods wrote. We put everything on our chase credit cards. Rewards points pays for most of our airfare and vacations. You used to be able to get gift cards back to bass pro/Cabela's but I haven't seen them in a while.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Oregonboy

WKR
I’m a big fan of capitol one, quicksilver. 1.5% cash back, no annual fee, great website and easy to get customer service on the phone.

The best everyday card is probably something like the Fidelity that always gives 2% back on everything. No annual fee. You can get different cards that will increase the cash back depending on the category. (Grocery’s, Cabela’s, Scheels, travel, fuel, etc)

I mostly use the Fidelity card.

Our last family vacation was paid for with points from credit cards. So essentially free. I can’t even imagine swiping a card and getting absolutely nothing back. (Debit card)

Fatcamp

WKR
$887,000,000,000
Only takes one month of things not going right and you can't pay it off in full.

That would be a really bad month.

It is for everyone to honestly judge their financial position and spending habits prior to any type of loan situation. It is not wise for many people.

Yoder

WKR
I always use my Chase tied to Marriott Bonvoy. I use it for absolutely everything and always have enough points for free hotels when we travel. After seeing what Chase did with Kanye I may stop using it.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I use Scheels. Costs me nothing as I certainly don't put anything on it I can't afford to pay off immediately.

My plan is to save the rewards to spend towards a spotting scope.

It also give me another emergency way of paying for things if there is a problem with my accounts. Been there, done that.

I have the same card. Treat it like a debit card

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a credit card like a debit card. Every purchase is covered with funds in the bank at the time of purchase. The additional consumer protections and $1500 in rewards every year makes it well worth it.

For me, I use a travel card that gives me 2% back. The card is no longer available for new applications though, so not an option to recommend.

Simple rewards structures are easier to use, I find rotating categories, or cards for a specific store to not be worth the effort.

Active Junky (an online shopping cashback platform) will get you way more cash back than a particular credit card. You can get anywhere from 2-10% (sometimes more) cashback by shopping online with Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sierra, Moosejaw, Steep & Cheap, Sportman's Warehouse, Kuiu, Brownell's.

If I don't want to wait for shipping and my local big-box store has it, I'll still order online (get that cashback) and go pick up in store.

activejunky.com

wyosteve

WKR
I use a Sam's Card for my fuel purchases. Gives me 5% cash back at any fuel station and 1% cash on other purchases.

Self discipline is key for credit cards like anything else. We use them exclusively. I don’t even have a debit card and rarely know how much cash is in my wallet. First, know what you need to spend to cover your bills (have a budget) and save every paycheck to meet your financial goals. That is first, no compromise. What you have left is what you have fun with. Second no compromise is never carry a balance. Card interest rate doesn’t even factor in because they are all abysmal and you cannot hardly make a worse financial decision than carrying credit card debt.

I went for a card that maximizes cash back on gas and groceries. Besides my mortgage, those are biggest monthly expenses. Amex Blue. Because I also have a company corporate card the yearly fee is half. The math works out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a Sam's Card for my fuel purchases. Gives me 5% cash back at any fuel station and 1% cash on other purchases.
Ya, we use the Sam's card only for fuel for the 5%. I use another card that gives me 2.5% for everything else. I never even look at the interest they charge, because I never pay interest.......nobody should. If you're paying interest, then use all cash for purchases and get rid of the cards.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Scheels card for the last 10ish years. Enjoyed the rewards - always paid it weekly. We started using the EveryDollar App to help keep track of our family budget and our card wouldn't work so we switched to a debit card. Its painfully obvious that you spend less money when you only use a debit card. If I could go back the 10 years of credit and change it to the debit card I would have saved way more money than I ever earned in rewards.

So +1 for the debit card here.