Best Credit Card Rewards

treillw

WKR
Time to give the Cabela's Card the boot. What credit card gives the best rewards? What do you use and what rewards are you given? I've been getting 1% back from Cabela's but I believe some cards will give 2% in one form or another.

(I made a thread on this about two years ago, but I surmise things have changed a bit since then. No longer need to worry about house mortgage credit score nonsense associated with opening and closing cards - ready to pull the trigger.)

Thanks!

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon Rewards CC for all amazon purchases (5% - all amazon/wholefood purchases, 2% - limited, 1% - everything else] - We dedicate this card for amazon purchases only.

Citi Double Cash card - 2% on ALL purchases
Pretty much use this card for everything else, it is convenient.

There are cards that offer selectively offer better percentage but you have to remember those, sometimes they roll over monthly or very selective categories. I neither have patience nor can ever remember those.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I signed up for this car a couple months ago if you can meeting the spending requirement (rather high but was doable for me), it is a fantastic deal. The promo points are worth $1,000 cash money.

I do not have time to worry about category's and the like, but, IIRC, my recent search did find a card that offered a bonus cash offer of $200 (with a low spending requirement) and 1.5% on all purchases. There is a 2% card but it's 1% when purchased and 1% when paid.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. If you decide to do this, visit your local Chase branch as they can often get the $95 fee waived for the first year and offer a $50 grocery store credit.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
Amazon Chase.......great support and rewards......took the place of my Cabelas which I had for over 15 years!

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
The Amazon card is nice for 5% back On Those purchases. Problem is that you then have the incentive to buy a lot of your crap through there instead of other retailers. There is something to be said for trying to support the companies that add value to and align with the hunting/outdoors community.

The Amex Blue cash preferred is good for gas, groceries, and everything else.

What do you actually want, just cash back or to dive into the actual credit card game? Citi double cash is decent, I don't have it since I would rather have the points for airline travel. I have both ecosystems of American Express Plantium/Gold and Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred/Freedom Flex among other credit cards. With all that being said I can't recall the last time I've paid for airline travel outside of mandatory taxes/9/11 bs fees.

Antares

WKR
I don't think you're allowed to live in Alaska without at least one Alaska Airlines Visa card.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What do you actually want, just cash back or to dive into the actual credit card game? Citi double cash is decent, I don't have it since I would rather have the points for airline travel. I have both ecosystems of American Express Plantium/Gold and Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred/Freedom Flex among other credit cards. With all that being said I can't recall the last time I've paid for airline travel outside of mandatory taxes/9/11 bs fees.

What do you mean by credit card game?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Credit card game involves opening and closing cards to get the bonuses. It never hurt my credit. You can do great if you are disciplined. The banks count on people screwing up and paying interest/annual fees

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Fidelity Visa. I don't remember the details, but if you put the earned cash into a qualifying Fidelity account you get more cash. I put everything the card earns into a Roth IRA...free retirement savings.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I like my Fidelity Visa. I don't remember the details, but if you put the earned cash into a qualifying Fidelity account you get more cash. I put everything the card earns into a Roth IRA...free retirement savings.
That is wise, but no fun! 😂

If you can stomach the high fees and can take advantage of the significant travel perks, I would get the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Amex Platinum. I have both and we get lots of free rooms, flights, travel lounges, free food, free streaming, etc. But, they're expensive annual fees that don't make sense for everyone.

What do you mean by credit card game?
Maximizing your spend in each category per credit card along with referrals. Going out to eat, who doesn't, use the gold amex vs platnium. I have also opened/closed cards like the Chase Ink to grab the sign up bonuses. Literally hasn't touched my credit score, to be fair I personally think the credit bureaus rigged the deck years ago and it's all a joke like suprime mortgages circa 2008.

I max out my referrals yearly, that's an easy free 1-2 flights internationally utilizing non American airlines. Spending your points on international travel is the sweet spot, not on gift cards, paying your balance off. Alaska airlines offers free stops when you book, think going to Australia but stopover to Fiji along the way. Alaska airlines points are also some of the hardest to obtain.

Lots of different strategies, one thing I don't do is manufacture spending, my buddy does and has millions of points.

My ius bank card gives 5% cash back at sporting goods stores including Cabelas, bps, sportsman’s, academy etc. and lots of online gunshots too

TxxAgg

WKR
Fidelity 2% cashback on everything is what we use for everything, including all my work expenses.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
The credit card that provides the biggest reward is the one you cancel.
I know what you are trying to say, but too general a statement.

As long as a credit card is your slave and not your master (can I even use those terms now?), they are an excellent way to use other people's money at zero cost, and maybe even make a profit.

Eddie

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34