Best Credit Card Rewards 2.0

treillw

WKR
I made a thread about this awhile back and never got around to making the change. There might be some new fish in the waters. Pretty sure I'm going to ditch the ole Cabela's card in favor of something more lucrative.

What offers the best rewards?

The idea of having a card to a store I like to shop at doesn't matter to me - I'd rather get $500 cash back that I can do whatever I want with than $385 to spend at Cabela's.

Thanks!

Not sure what the best is. Depends on what a person does.

I can't justify not having an Alaska Airlines card. My wife and I each have a card and here's our savings so far with 2023 bookings:

3x tickets to Bethel in March booked with miles = $750 savings
1x ticket to wolf hunt booked with miles = $250 savings
1x Companion fair to visit wife's family = $600 savings
1x Companion fair for family reunion = $600 savings
1x Moose hunting booked with miles = $400 savings
1x Wife work trip booked with miles = $700

Subtract a couple hundred for service fees and we will save approximately $3,000 on airfare this year. Never paid a penny of interest in 8 years of having the cards. I know I have cash back deals and benefits too and I've honestly never even looked at them.

CorbLand

WKR
Feel like there is one of two ways to look at it.

1. The get cash back on everything you spend.

2. Get a card that gives you points as an excuse to buy things.

I am more in camp 2, so I have a Cabelas card(looking at getting an airline card though). The only reason I keep it is I get points, which gives me a reason to buy things I don’t really need but want. Got a muzzleloader the first go around for 8 bucks and paid 12 bucks for a .410.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
While likely not the best, I use the Citi double cash rewards card and started to apply my reward to my bill every month or so. I had my reward built up for a few years and it covered my moose mount and half of my next bow.

Now that I have a desk job and have to pay for my own flights to visit family I have been thinking about switching cards to something else.

Paradox

FNG
Abound CU card gives me 5% on gas all the time.
also have a discover that has rotating 5% categories.
since I run 1500 fuel bill a month I wanted a dedicated gas card. No fees.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
My wife switched to Hilton rewards and canceled the Chase Freedom rewards we had. We still have an Alaska card but don't use it much. We much rather fly Delta now.

I have either a healthy or unhealthy addiction to credit cards depending on how you look at it. I open approximately 4-5 cards a year for the bonuses, never carry a balance outside of a SxS at 0% because I could. I do not pay for most flights and my hotels have been free for years with 2-3 vacations per year with the family.

There's two camps in credit cards, team cash back or team rewards. By that I mean you get x% back in gas, groceries etc or you earn ~1-17x (worth various amounts) per $1 spent in regards you redeem for flights, hotels, gift cards, etc.

As a rule of thumb store credit cards are garbage along with most airline cards. There are significantly better cards available, even in the no annual fee tier. However, cards with annual fees generally will offer more value.

With that being said, there is no perfect card that covers every base. Which cards do you have, Cashback/rewards and how many are you willing to open?

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I’ve had the Alaska Airlines card for years. But I see now they are raising the annual fee to $100 - up from $75.
Pondering if it’s worth getting something different

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you fly Delta a lot we love the AmEx Delta sky miles cards. Free bags including guns, half our flights we buy with miles. Granted we’re more east than most of y’all but we flew into JAC for a vacation a couple summers ago mostly because the cost of the Flights we paid for with miles. We charge All we can on it including health care costs so the miles pile up pretty quickly. The platinum is $250/year but you get a companion flight once a year that pays for that. Our baggage savings last year was $450 alone. Just seems to make vacations easier with the flights/baggage discounts.

N.ID7803

WKR
I have a Chase Freedom 1% on all purchases and then 5% on diff categories per quarter. I also have a Chase Freedom Unlimited, offers 1.5% on all purchases 5% on gas for a year and 3% on restaurants. Seems to be the best I have found.

N.ID7803

WKR
Abound CU card gives me 5% on gas all the time.
also have a discover that has rotating 5% categories.
since I run 1500 fuel bill a month I wanted a dedicated gas card. No fees.
You need to get the Conoco/76/Phillips 66 app and get CB on fuel as well. Doesn’t cost a thing. Check it out.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
You can make a decent amount of money if you constantly open and close new cards and chase the bonus. When you do that you can earn roughly a 17% rebate on evertything you buy. This is assuming you get $500 for a 3k spend on a new card and do not pay an annual fee.

If you do not want to chase the newest bonus it comes down to basic math. Each "point" has a value. A Southwest airline point is worth 1.6 cents, a Delta point a little less. I have had all the cards multiple times over many years. If you do not want to play the game and learn the systems just get a 2% back cash card. This gives you 2% on everything you buy and cash works everywhere. You can buy that same Southwest airlines ticket and have .4% more cash in your pocket.

There are other perks that may or not be a value to you. Airlines lounges, free bags and others. Some cards have a bonus spend category on dining like the Chase Freedom unlimited. Of course you only get 1.5% on other spend so it is a wash. This subject is a big rabbit hole to go down. if you do not want to go down the hole just get a 2% card.