Best camouflage and clothing for hunting in mountains

Spitfire

FNG
Hi guys, I’m a Norwegian and new to this forums. I’m looking to upgrade my hunting gear and amongst other clothing. I would really appreciate help and recommendations when it comes to what gear to buy. Most of the popular gear in US isn’t available in Norway so I can’t see it in a store or see how it really is before I order it.

I’m hunting reindeer in the mountains of Norway, with rifle and typical shooting range is about 100 yards. It’s mostly harsh conditions with rain, strong wind, snow, sometimes foggy but also sunny so you have all specters. I’m an active hunter that walks a lot but I also stop and try to spot reindeers with my binoculars.

I have a Norrøna Recon Gore-Tex Pro now which is awesome at keeping me dry but I miss more comferable walking cloths rather have a light packable breathable raingear in my backpack. I have some concerns though to durability and if they’ll keep me dry to these light packable raingear.

I would also like a warm jacket with primaloft or down (I guess down is ruled out as it basically gets ruined and does not warm if it gets wet) which I can pull on over my other jacket when I need to stay warm while spotting.

To give you an idea of how the terrain and what camouflage you think would work, he'res a picture of me with a reindeer I shot and here's a few other pictures [1](to tight together and too far for me to comfertably take a shot) [2](about 2000 reindeers ahead of me there but sadly don't see them all and bad mobile camera)

I’ve been looking at some camouflage and I can’t really decide between these:
- Sitka OptiFade Open Country – I like the camo not because they claim it’s fooling the preys sight (which I think is a sales gimic) but it has nice colors and quite large flats which is nice for longer ranges
- Kuiu Vias – I like this camo too. My only concern is that it’s I find it to be quite contrast between the light and dark. It probably breaks up the outline very good though.
- Veil camo Fusion/Cumbre/Widelands – I like all of these camos! (I’m considering buy Kifaru pack and they offer Fusion as on of their camouflage)
- Kryptek Highlander – I like this too but I’m afraid it’s maybe too detailed so it works better on shorter distances and does not break the outline that well. (Kifaru offers also this camouflage)

I'm interested in known what your guys take is on which camouflage do you think would work great for "my neck of the woods"?

Which of these brands should I rule out because of like poor quality/bad service ect and which are good ones which I should really consider? Something "must haves" I should really consider?

A must have to all mountain hunters would I say is bag like this which is water proof, got insulation and you can even sleep inside if you get lost

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
Can't go wrong with kuiu,sitka or first lite. I have pieces I like from all 3 companies.

I love First Lite clothing. The Uncompaghre puffy is unbeatable and I can't wait to try out their new, lighter puffy called the Cirrus. They are also discontinuing their rain jacket and replacing it with the Vapor and Seak which are lighter and heavier versions. I also love the Corrugate Guide pants and their Merino is awesome. The last piece that I think perfectly rounds out my system is the Halstead Tech Fleece.

Fusion and Highlander are my favorite patterns. I have a Kifaru Woobie in Highlander which I believe is comparable to your last link. Just a warning that if you are picky the Cordura Fusion fabrics like the ones AGC and Kifaru use don't match First Lite perfectly and the dark brown comes out a little purple and the light color is no longer a light tan and is almost pure white. See image below:

ExsEK0uUMagPb3amXNnz3opRm7BcIMc6KK9NNtAfXAuWIoIRETTTfzacphQw6Bd-WcQe9QnWpd-thQ=w975-h701-no

Last edited:
OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Ah too bad the picture won't show for me. I'm not that picky and as long as it doesn't break out then it should be just fine. Edit: Picture shows now thanks :)

Thanks for great replies! I didn't even know about First Lite, and they seem to have some very interesting products. How does their Cocona membrane hold up? That Cirrus looks really nice and packable! Indeed something I should consider. I'm in the process of lightening my hunting gear as indeed you start to feel the weight when you've been walking the whole day.

My concern is mostly about the camouflage (though it probably does not play that much difference as I'd like to think but ignorance is bliss and if it makes me think I'll become a better hunter then I'm sure in some sense I will be). How does the Fusion, OptiFade Open Country and Highlander do on longer ranges? Do you end up showing like a "dark" outline walking?

Last edited:

Solo86

FNG
The pictures helped to see what type of terrain you are hunting - good idea. As far as camo up in that area, don't let that be the determining factor for you. That type of hunting terrain that is open with rocks and no trees, movement and scent is going to get you busted long before the wrong type of camo, as with most hunting scenarios. Many of the sheep guides don't even wear camo. Now, I understand that a lot of clothing that is made for that type of hunting is made by hunting manufactures so the clothing does come in camo. But I believe a skilled hunter with no camo is better than a newbie with head to toe camo.

As far as the brand, I have clothing from all three of the top manufactures KUIU, Sitka, First Lite. For outer coat and pants, Sitka will probably be your best bet with a shell coat that does have insulation. But it would probably be too warm while walking up the mountain. Most of my gear is KUIU and their big thing is layers. Their outer coats and pants have little if any insulation and is mainly for blocking the wind, rain and snow. You have to buy other layers such as a down coat or vest to go underneath for warmth. But perhaps that is what you are looking for? Something light to walk up the mountains with and then add layers while you sit and glass.

KUIU probably has the best down items, it is treated with water repellent. Although I have not actually sat in a rain with just down to try it out. Based on their testing and video I believe it is the best quality out of the top hunting manufactures.

I also like the pit zips on coats which both Sitka and KUIU have. KUIU has vented zips on their pants which is very nice and wish Sitka did. But KUIU pants are probably going to be too light for you in my opinion especially if your on, near, or brushing up on rocks.

I really like the Sitka Timberline Pants with the breathable and waterproof knees and pants. I have them and really love them, they are made to take abuse. They are made of thicker material than KUIU so will be a little warmer. However the pants themselves are not waterproof. But they do make similar pants that are waterproof.

For base layers don't forget to wear merino, I believe First Lite has the best merino that is 100%, KUIU says theirs is the best but it's not 100%, although merino isn't as durable as synthetic so KUIU's might technically hold up longer, I have had a First Lite long sleeve shirt that I wear pretty much every time I hunt and it is still looking great.

In a nutshell, I think you might want to go with Sitka outer layers, I think the durability is probably the best and their camo is really nice and is great for the terrain you are hunting. However it will be the most expensive. Like I said earlier, it wouldn't have to be camo but its made for hunting and so happens to be camo. If you want down, I would go with KUIU, if you want merino, I would go with First Lite or even many non hunting manufactures since it will never be seen. example - camo undies.

I am not sure if this helps any but I am in a hurry, if you would like to talk more about some of the stuff I have or would like me to take different pictures of some items in stores I would be glad to help. I don't have everything since $ is an object but I have researched and constantly look at the clothing and try to get the best I can afford. Send me a private message if you want and I can give you my email.

Try the picture above now.

Personally I think all 3 do well at distance, but would take Optifade last as military tests of ACU which is similar found that it didn't perform well at distance.

This page has sample pictures of all 3: https://remotepursuits.wordpress.com/2014/10/29/camo-shootout-10-pattern-overview/

Optifade Open Country:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK5-YzrJZFs
https://huntingfit.com/2015/08/07/camouflage-part-ii-pattern-test/ (and Fusion)
http://www.montana-wild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/stalkin.jpg
http://www.montana-wild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/optifade.jpg
Fusion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWg5-IZbHE
Kryptek Highlander:
http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/AronSnyder/media/DSC02062.jpg.html

OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
@COlineman78 Thanks for those links! Especially from huntingfit which did try somewhat to show how Ungulate sees the world. It would be nice to see how these cloths absorbs UV. It's been proven that reindeer and caribou sees into the ultraviolet spectrum (interesting documentary).

It would be nice to see photos of these cloths and camouflages in UV to see how they absorbs ultraviolet and how they'd compare against rocks, plants, snow and ground as these absorbs and reflects UV. Maybe you'd also get more aware if for example your face would lighten up as it absorbs more UV then your cloths, so you'd get more aware to cover it up.

@bcgraves8 Thanks for alot of great tips there! You are completly right, reindeer can smell you up to 1000 yards if the wind is right so always have to keep that in mind and that you never move in a silhouette. They also have poor field of depth on their side vision so I've managed to get into shooting range (which is 150-100 yards for me) just by walking straight at them. I just stand completely still when they notice me and looks at me, then they think it was nothing (like part of the terrain) and continues to graze then move in again. However this is where I'm curious if camouflage will help me.

I'm not using any camouflage now. We're actually quite conservative when it comes to hunting in Norway despite we have a rich culture and a lot are hunting. Most does not wear camo and almost all swears to bolt action rifle and then preferably with wooden stock (hunting with bow is illegal).

I have vented zippers both in my jacket and pants now and this is something I use all the time. Though they are Gore-Tex and gets quite condense inside if I don't. I use merino wool net which is awsome at regulating the warmth when you're being active and is something I can highly recommend. I've also looked at this company x-bionic which has some interersting underwear but I'm afraid it's lot of sales gimmic and not performing as we as merino, and it's also expensive.

I've looked at those Timberline pants and I do like them alot. I guess it's always a compromise between durability vs lightness and breathability vs water proof. As I'm hunting in mid season at the mountains what would be most important is that it keeps the wind out and provides some insulation. I'm thinking of having some light weight rain gear to put on when it rains.

I'm interested in discussing more of gear with you if you don't mind so that would be great!

Last edited:
I did some black light tests on various different materials in Fusion. https://goo.gl/photos/yzWuSRYskY6BX7uP6 If I remember right the things tested, in order, were: Halstead (x2), 5 Panel Tech Hat, Kifaru 22 mag, Llano. As you can see, the Cordura is probably the brightest and the synthetic fabrics are brighter than Merino which has virtually no UV reflectivity.

I have some Sitka Mountain pants and they are very nice if you want some extra warmth and don't want to run a layered system like First Lite Allegheny + Corrugate. If you're in snow, nothing beats the FL North Branch pants. I wore them this year in 1.5 feet of snow and they were amazing.

Edit: Well I just clicked the shared link and it reversed the order, so who knows what order it will be in for you.

That Recon jacket looks sweet. I think the Sitka Cloudburst would be a similar camo option in quality and function.

Looking at your pic and watching the occasional hiking Norway vids I think our weather is similar. A constant slate grey sky. Sometimes the cealing is 1000 ft and it's downright pleasant. An hour later it's at 500 ft with a nice steady mist. And an hour after that your in the cloud in a heavy mist. Of course the wind can pick up and a squall blow thru at any time.

Layering is the key and what works for me is similar to above. I have to buy all new hunting clothes this year due to losing 50#'s. Here's my plan.

First Lite Marino base layers. Light and mid weight. I'll wear one at a time or both together depending on the day.

Sitka Timberline pants for early season and Columbia wool pants for below freezing. Still trying to figure out rain pants or a tweener pant.

I'll be sticking with my KUIU down vest for sitting or instant insulation. This I've already purchased as I'm cold all the damn time now. It has worked awesome on my spring steelhead trips this year. And has held up to getting wet well. It's awesome under my rain jacket.

The Sitka Coudburst rain jacket is the one piece of gear that still fits fairly well. Wich is awesome as it may be my favorite jacket ever. Going on its fifth year and still going strong.

I'd also highly recommend KUIU Gators and a First Lite Marino beanie to round out the system.

I don't want to hijack so hopefully this question is helpful for the OP too. So the Sitka Timberlines are perfect for hiking in Sept and into Oct. And the Columbia woolies are perfect in the late season when highs are at freezing. What would you all suggest for that snoty shoulder season. Say highs in the mid 40's, blustery wind and an all day light rain? I've used the Cabelas rain gear until now. MT-50 guide stuff I beleive it is?? It's done well at keeping me dry but there's several things I don't like mainly it's loud and the pockets suck. No place for my range finder and wind puffer. What pant can excell in an all day mist, blustery wind and will keep your butt dry when sitting on a wet stump or grass?

OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Thanks COlineman78, interesting to see how the material and colors reflects UV light. You havn't seen any tests of these camouflages where they use cameras taking UV pictures?

BroodBuster first of congrats with losing weight! Yup I'm very happy with that jacket and pants, though I've had to do a few repairs on my pants (they've had some rough treatment both brushing against rocks and I also managed to fall down a slope while carrying out meat. Which ended with twisted ankel and another week on a cabin before I was able to get down). I'm on the other side, I've gained some weight so that recon suit does not fit me that good anymore.

Sounds like we have very simlar weather. You get all elements from sun and pretty warm to rain, snow or so dense fog you have to spit in streams to be sure they're actuelly going the way you think and boulders looking like mountains.

I've tried to taken in account all the replies and recommendations here. For the "outher shell" cloths then I'll think I want to go for Sitka. I do like their camo for the terrain I'm hunting and my general feeling from reading the posts here is that they offer the most durable clothing with their Gore-Tex membran (correct me if I'm wrong :))

For raingear I was actually thinking of going with the Dewpoint as packable raingear. I also considered Stormfront which is probably more durable but at the cost that it's heavier and then I'll end up with the system I have now where I'll wear it all the time. The dewpoint is 3 layered Gore-Tex so hopefully it should be durable enough. I'd like to go either for the 90% or Jetstream lite for jacket to wear all the time. I'm guessing they're pretty simlar though I'm afraid Jetstream lite maybe will be too light so I'm leaning more towards the 90%. Recommendations here would be appreciated.

For pants I'm looking at both the Timberline, the Mountain pants and the 90% pants. I find it's more comfortable walking in freeing and light pants. I'm afraid even though Timberline seems very durable it seems relatively heavy. I will brush my feets against rocks but that is mostly around my feets so getting a pair of gaithers I think will make a huge difference there on the wear and tear. I'm undecided between the 90% pant and the mountain pant though.

I'm still undecided about insulation. I see Kuiu is using down but they've got something called Quix Down which supposedly shouldn't collapse once it gets wet. Anyone got any experience with this? A winter jacket i had earlier supposedly was water proof down got ruined when it got soaked a day it was raining alot.

(Looking at the prices of this, it will be alot of overtime working ahead :D)

No, I haven't put mine in front of a UV camera yet nor have I seen any.

If you are going to go with Sitka, I suggest PMing grant@1shotgear (that's his screen name on here) and see if he'd be willing to skype you or something and talk to you about options. They sell a lot of Sitka and he's definitely the one to talk to. Hopefully they can also help you out a little on prices (looks like they already have 20% off all Sitka so probably not going to get any more than that, but its worth asking if you're buying a lot).

As far as Quix Down (or any hydrophobic down) goes, it retains some loft but not all. It will all help it dry faster. But if this is a concern, you should go synthetic. In Kuiu's own video you can see the limited volume retention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgH7HSvla9k (even though he says 100% retention it is noticeably less volume).

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
For Rain Gear, you absolutely cannot beat the Sitka Dew Point for packability and function. I'm also a huge fan of Sitka pants. Ascents for early, Timberlines for late and Mountain pants for everything in between.

As far as a "puffy" coat goes. My newest favorite is the Sitka Kelvin Down Ultralight jacket. This jacket uses a primaloft down blend giving you best of both worlds in a puffy. For a softshell jacket, the Sitka Jetstream is a tough one to beat. However, I am intriqued by the new '16 Timber line Jacket coming out in June.

Can't go wrong with Sitka Gear.

KHNC

WKR
Sitka and First Lite make great products. I have used FL for the last 3 years. This year I have place an advance order for the new Hell`s Canyon speed gear from Browning. It will be available in July. They are using the ATACS camo pattern. Its an open pattern that should work great in your area. Browning will offer lightweight up to heavyweight including Gore-Tex and Merino. This system should rival Sitka or First Lite in my opinion.

http://www.browning.com/products/outdoor-clothing/hells-canyon-speed.html

OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Alot of stuff to think about and consider here. Thanks for a lot of great tips!

When it comes to puffy jackets I do have some concerns to where they use some sort of "water resistant" down or mix between down and primaloft as fill. Also if these jackets get wet then they'll become heavy. So I guess when it's raining, close to freezing and windy then you probably want use the puff jacket under your rain jacket, even if it will take longer time then just to throw it on as a outer layer for the breaks when you're glassing.

That ASAT Patterns looks very interesting. I've seen it been used when I've watched hunting movies from the US, so I thought it was a pretty popular pattern no? I can see your point why it's not the best at selling itself to hunters.

Have a great easter guys!

sneaky

"DADDY"
That ATACS looks like a few trips through the washing machine and a little UV exposure and it'll be almost a solid white pattern. Not enough definition in it it looks like to break up the blobbing effect at distance. Just my thoughts.

KHNC

WKR
Well I'm hoping you are wrong about that. I'm all in on a full order! Lol