Best Buy Once, Cry Once Muzzleloader Legal in Every State?

JWL

FNG
So what I’m gathering is, “no one rifle option” and still just preference on ML?

eltaco

WKR
I had this same debacle last year, as I had a perfectly good muzzleloader passed down to me. What I quickly learned was the bore of that rifle was oversized and not consistent diameter for pushing full bore conicals down. Since I couldn’t use sabots, I determined my money saving efforts were bust and had to come up with a new rifle stat.

I ended up with a Knight mountaineer that I found used, because lead times on new Knights were nuts last year. That rifle was absolutely outstanding down range and I used it to put down my 6pt bull, but it was also a boat anchor during my backpack hunt.

I ended up ordering a Knight UL this spring and figure this is the rifle I’ll use for any tag I can legally hunt with it on for the rest of my life. Great muzzleloader, just checks all of the boxes for me.

WKR
Fine looking rigs there Elk Packer. Who made that one pictured with the buck and the brownish stock? Also, what caliber are both?

Guy I bought that one from has or had 3 others that I continually lust after. But that one being 58 caliber pretty much covers all my bases.

Fine looking rigs there Elk Packer. Who made that one pictured with the buck and the brownish stock? Also, what caliber are both?

Guy I bought that one from has or had 3 others that I continually lust after. But that one being 58 caliber pretty much covers all my bases.
I built both rifles. The parts came from Track of the Wolf and the Wood came from 4" x 14" x 10' fiddleback maple the my older brother got from Pennsylvnia years ago. The darker one is a 54 and the other is a 50 with a fast twist for conicals.
The full stock Hawken below was the first rifle built from that wood. It's the rifle that I hunted with for many years. Its a 53 cal.

IMG_E0939.JPG

WRM

WKR
That regulation sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't know what the heck they're describing.

Course not. That would make too much sense. And it leaves a lot to the discretion of the officer who will write you a nice fat ticket.

WRM

WKR
I don't get it. Everyone is trying to push the limits like it's NASCAR. Any historically correct Black powder rifle of the right caliber will pass.

Some people like to shoot modern rifles at game animals at 1,000+ yards, too.

I use a smokeless ML because it's legal in my home state. I have two traditionals and like them, but they likely won't get used again until the smokeless smokepole gets banned. And I'm sure it will.

Scoutfarm

FNG
I love my White Rifles Model 98 Elite Hunter, but they’re no longer made. If you look around you can find them used sometimes.
Talley QD rings for scope states and Lyman 57 side mount for open sight states. I have 209 and percussion breech plugs and bolts for mine.

I’ll also say I’m building a smokeless now for states where it is legal.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Knights UL is on the way! Looking forward to developing loads for this ML and seeing what it can do.

Any bullet recommendations? Obviously going to go with Blackhorn 209 powder.

JWL

FNG
Is there a way to make the knights close to legal in all states? Also interested in loads that work best.

JWL

FNG
Sorry legal in the most states. Long night. I guess I was trying to say legal in close to all states

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I've been shooting my new Knight UL A LOT and it is unbelievable what this thing can do. 84gr by weight of Blackhorn 209, CCI primers (all I could find), and Thor 300gr Hammers have been shooting ragged holes.

The Williams Western Precision sights are an absolute must if you can't use a scope.

HNTR918

WKR
Traditions Pursuit XT VAPR LDR Northwestern with a 209 Breech Plug kit will do them all. That was my choice earlier this year after doing alot of research.

Why are you saying Montana requires a flintlock. It clearly state that percussion or musket caps are legal

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Pennsylvania has a season that requires it to be a flintlock. Other than that im not aware of any statewide.