Best Bone Saw

mustang50

FNG
If I'm gutting in the field I'll use an old Gerber hand saw. When I'm butchering at home, I use a Makita Sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Good for cutting shanks and blade roasts.

If I'm gutting in the field I'll use an old Gerber hand saw. When I'm butchering at home, I use a Makita Sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Good for cutting shanks and blade roasts.
That is pretty much my goto also, the Sawmill is a game changer. Do you worry much about the blood? I typically rinse it "lightly" then set it in the sun to dry for a long time....haven't killed it yet.

mustang50

FNG
That is pretty much my goto also, the Sawmill is a game changer. Do you worry much about the blood? I typically rinse it "lightly" then set it in the sun to dry for a long time....haven't killed it yet.
I've never had an issue with blood on the saw messing anything up.

NoLa

FNG
Looking at a Silky 130 for home use since my conventional meat saw broke.

What are the pros/cons of the med, fine and extra fine for just cutting up bones? Thanks!

For cutting bones at home this is the best one I’ve found and I’ve been through a pile of them. They all looked like this one but don’t work nearly as well. I use this on hogs, deer, and elk when processing. For skull capping I use a reciprocating saw with a fine tooth blade.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
For cutting bones at home this is the best one I’ve found and I’ve been through a pile of them. They all looked like this one but don’t work nearly as well. I use this on hogs, deer, and elk when processing. For skull capping I use a reciprocating saw with a fine tooth blade.

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking at this style of saw but some are just junk.

Delayed reply to OP: shanks are outstanding even when they aren't cut into the visually appealing osso buco discs. I would only consider it on elk-size shanks. I guess if I ever shoot a really big deer I might cut them.