Best Bone Saw

I am looking for recommendations on what people use in the field to cut bone...and also what people use at home.

I love deer shanks cut into disks...but it is a royal pain to do with a hand saw and takes me like 30 minutes to do one quarter.

Maybe my tool just sucks - enlighten me.

Id also in general just like to do more bone in cuts - and also want a good saw to take off ribs in the field.

Hunting a bear this year but looking towards elk coming next year.

Thanks!

Interested in this also. Like to know if the Wyoming saw is still preferred for in the field use or is there something newer and/or better?

ozyclint

WKR
I thought a Wyoming saw was good until I bought a Silky BigBoy with fine tooth blade. WOW! I have have the medium and large tooth blades also. Most effective and versatile saw I own now. Silky make lots of different sizes if the BigBoy was too big for your needs. Or if bigger is what you need check out the KatanaBoy 650 or 1000. Redefines cordless chainsaw!

A folding Japanese pull saw is so much better than a western bow style saw. No limit on depth or width of cut, more reach for cutting high branches and cuts more efficiently.

I’ve used everything from leatherman saw to hand saw with straight blade out the end to sawzall to breaking bones instead of cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K
I’ve used everything from leatherman saw to hand saw with straight blade out the end to sawzall to breaking bones instead of cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be pretty hard to break a shank.

Ribs you can pop through.

At the end of the day we put a lot of effort into this and I'm just hoping theres an easier way. I went through 12 or more shanks last year and I'm pretty over the freeze/hacksaw method.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I have used that Gerber saw and it has zipped through loads of deer and antelope with no problem. Have no doubt it could handle an elk with no issue.

I like the compact size for the little space it takes up in a pack. And the blunt/hooked end is nice for not poking anything you don’t want to poke while sawing.

OP
K
Sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Once you add one to your butchering arsenal you will wonder how you operated without it.
Cutting off shanks, antlers, skull, etc. I use a battery operated Dewalt model.

Do you know which blade?

Im looking into this now, something food grade and unpainted is my next goal.

Thank you

WoodBow

WKR
One of those smaller single hand use cordless reciprocating saws seems like it would be ideal. I recently built a light weight saw for skull capping animals in the backcountry. It uses a fine tooth (metal cutting) blade and it blows right through bone.

muddydogs

WKR
Do you know which blade?

Im looking into this now, something food grade and unpainted is my next goal.

Thank you
Amazon has a few options for food grade blades, another option is to wire wheel the paint off of any blade and just use it after a good cleaning.

Elkbelch

FNG
Lennox PVC pipe saw, looks like a giant Sawzall blade with an aluminum handle. I wouldn't tote it in my pack but I keep one in camp

Shawn

TN VOL

FNG
Sawzall with 8 or 10 inch fine tooth blade (which ever one is on sale at the box store) at home for cutting shanks. In the field I use a small Fiskars hatchet. It's my do-all field tool.

axeforce6

WKR
Sawzall with a fine tooth blade. Once you add one to your butchering arsenal you will wonder how you operated without it.
Cutting off shanks, antlers, skull, etc. I use a battery operated Dewalt model.
M12 Milwaukee with a 6” bimetal blade is where it’s at.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been given and have bought ALL the bone/wilderness/survival saws on the market in the past 25 years.

NOTHING beats elcheapo Stanley wood saw like Papaw had hangin on his garage wall peg board. Flat, light, cheap, effective...what more needs said to try it. Just sayin! Doubt you'll go back.

have cut all types of critter's bones, felled trees, leaning branches, log jam debris, hell even cut my way into an old trapper cabin in the middle of wind/rain storm. Nothin pretentious about it, just old school works ever time kind of tool.

packer58

WKR
With the blade on your Sawzall, put it in a plastic bag and push the blade through the bottom. put a couple wraps of tape around the bag / saw and it will keep it a lot cleaner.

Sawzall's work great........

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I've been given and have bought ALL the bone/wilderness/survival saws on the market in the past 25 years.

NOTHING beats elcheapo Stanley wood saw like Papaw had hangin on his garage wall peg board. Flat, light, cheap, effective...what more needs said to try it. Just sayin! Doubt you'll go back.

have cut all types of critter's bones, felled trees, leaning branches, log jam debris, hell even cut my way into an old trapper cabin in the middle of wind/rain storm. Nothin pretentious about it, just old school works ever time kind of tool.
I agree. I removed ribs from a 51 inch bull moose this weekend solo and it worked great.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider

Your correct for wilderness hunts. It is my go-to saw as well when in the woods. But for home use the Sawzall and bone blade rocks.
Our last few moose hunting trips we took a battery-operated saw and it was worth its weight in gold. Recharged the battery back in camp as we had a small generator.