Best bang for your buck hunts at every budget?

Inspired by the post "What's the most fun a guy can have with $20,000?" which got me thinking what the highest value "bang for your buck" hunts would be for every reasonable price point.

These can be domestic or international, DIY or Guided etc. Curious to hear some ideas for what you guys think provide the best value within each of the following budgets. I'll spitball a few.

$1,000 - DIY hunts in your own state/province with OTC tags.

$5,000? - Outfitted Black bear hunt in Northern Ontario or Chamois/Mouflon in Europe.

$10,000? Mid-Asian Ibex in Kyrgyzstan or single Spanish Ibex.

$20,000? - Mountain Goat/ Moose Combo hunt in British Columbia or Cape Buffalo in the Caprivi Strip.

$30,000? - Alaskan Brown Bear.

$40,000? - Marco Polo/Mid Asian Ibex combi in Tajikistan

$50,000 and above? One of the sheep? Elephant?

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
Deer/elk hunting in Montana costs me about $500/season. Could be had for less I suppose if you don't camp and hunt from your house. One week of wall tent hunting with food, fuel, and misc expenses probably cost around $500 +/-. I use to hunt a few other states when I was younger but am content hunting deer, elk and antelope close to home. The $500 assumes you have all your gear too.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I think kids have it made. Whitetail youth tag with a gun borrowed from dad might set them back $20-$25 bucks.

Then he could shoot one off the front deck or walk out in the field to get one.

Minus poaching, thats about as cheap as they get.

Decker9

WKR
My last moose cost a total of about $40 in the freezer, tag/gas/bullet included. Hunted stone sheep for a $50 tag a couple weeks ago, $3000 all in including travel. Hunting goats in a few weeks, $30 tag, $500 in travel tops.

I’d have to bank any leftover $$.

Rich M

WKR
It all depends on what you want and can afford.

I did OTC antelope (shot 2) and didn't like the orange army, it was a turn-off. Went guided a few years later and shot 1 - was much more enjoyable but cost 2x what OTC did. Both hunts were over in 1 day. Then it turned into a sight seeing vacation. This last trip was really fun.

Wife and I are in process of buying land and deer use it. So, might be able to hunt my own land - that's best bang for buck to me.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
$1000 - coyote hunt in New Mexico or Arizona
5000ish - black bear
$10,000 coues deer in Mexico
$25,000 Alaska Moose or African plains game
$30000 Brown Bear
After that I guess it whatever trips your trigger. I’ve always thought it would be a great adventure to Brown Bear or Moose in Russia.

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
Inspired by the post "What's the most fun a guy can have with $20,000?" which got me thinking what the highest value "bang for your buck" hunts would be for every reasonable price point.

These can be domestic or international, DIY or Guided etc. Curious to hear some ideas for what you guys think provide the best value within each of the following budgets. I'll spitball a few.

$1,000 - DIY hunts in your own state/province with OTC tags.

$5,000? - Outfitted Black bear hunt in Northern Ontario or Chamois/Mouflon in Europe.

$10,000? Mid-Asian Ibex in Kyrgyzstan or single Spanish Ibex.

$20,000? - Mountain Goat/ Moose Combo hunt in British Columbia or Cape Buffalo in the Caprivi Strip.

$30,000? - Alaskan Brown Bear.

$40,000? - Marco Polo/Mid Asian Ibex combi in Tajikistan

$50,000 and above? One of the sheep? Elephant?
That's pretty much the current hunt costs. There are deals on some of those hunts for considerably less, but sometimes you get what you paid for, and they don't turn out that good of a deal.

I was lucky enough to have DIY hunted multiple Bighorn sheep, moose, and mountain goats here in my home state of Montana for a tank of gas and a resident permit...basically less than $100 each.

I can still hunt deer and elk for that, antelope cost about 2 tanks of gas.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
You could have a very good time in Africa for $20k. I just got back from there and had a wonderful time for way less than that. You could hunt a buffalo and a BUNCH of plains game for that.