Best 223 copper mono lead free bullets for deer

Trackselk

WKR
About to order a new. 223 barrel for my contender, and can't find much outside of the 140 page thread on .223 hunting, which I don't have time for. So, from the guys that have seen the on-game performance; what is the best #1 and #2 lead free bullets for the .223?
I greatly appreciate the your advice!

*16" barrel
*for black bears, and would be a big bonus if cheap bulk 223 ammo would match the twist rate for range practice

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
What twist barrel? I have shot a few deer with the barnes in 223. (20 years or so ago) They work, but you don't get the wound channel you would with a cup and core bullet. Never recovered a bullet, all were through the rib cage, exit wound about 1" in diameter. The Hammer's open up and a few petals break off, but I haven't seen any used in a 223. They do shoot quite a bit better than the barnes in my experience. If you don't have to shoot copper, the 80 grain class if tipped C&C bullets will do more damage in the chest cavity.

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
What twist barrel? I have shot a few deer with the barnes in 223. (20 years or so ago) They work, but you don't get the wound channel you would with a cup and core bullet. Never recovered a bullet, all were through the rib cage, exit wound about 1" in diameter. The Hammer's open up and a few petals break off, but I haven't seen any used in a 223. They do shoot quite a bit better than the barnes in my experience. If you don't have to shoot copper, the 80 grain class if tipped C&C bullets will do more damage in the chest cavity.
Thanks! Yeah, I've had great luck with barnes ttsx out of my 308 on deer and elk. I found the penetration with coppers so much better through bone that I've stuck with it. Especially makes sense to me if I'm shooting big animals with a little 223. This gun will only occasionally kill a blackbear, and is mostly there to protect my pack goats from bears on my spring trips where I can carry a 4lb contender. The fall trips I'll have the new 6.5CM for deer. I titled this thread with deer in mind to keep it simple.
I guess the main reason I'm in a hurry to figure out the bullet size is so I can order it in the correct twist.
Thanks for the Barnes vote! I'll have to try and get through that "Great Work" of a thread on the 223. Did they say 223 hammers are good also? I know they look to be great for the 6.5's.
Sorry for the TMI, I get a rambling...

bootstrap

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Barnes. Don’t recall bullet weight right off, 55 grain I think could look if you like. Recovered one bullet from a buck shot at 115 yards bullet was just under the hide on opposite side.

Especially makes sense to me if I'm shooting big animals with a little 223

Why does it make sense to deliberately shoot a bullet that will make a long, narrow wound channel at a bear? That's literally the exact opposite of the lessons contained in the 223 thread.

h2so4

WKR
Black Hills 62gr Dual Performance would be worth checking out. It’s the controlled chaos bullet from Lehigh defense.

h2so4

WKR
Here are some ballistic gel tests of TSX vs Dual Performance for your view enjoyment.

Attachments

• 5.56 62gr_Dual Performance Black Hills.jpg
    5.56 62gr_Dual Performance Black Hills.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.56-62-Gr.-TSX-16-in-barrel-12-5-12-a.jpg
    5.56-62-Gr.-TSX-16-in-barrel-12-5-12-a.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 84
OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
Especially makes sense to me if I'm shooting big animals with a little 223

Why does it make sense to deliberately shoot a bullet that will make a long, narrow wound channel at a bear? That's literally the exact opposite of the lessons contained in the 223 thread.
I haven't seen anything but lung soup on the 7ish elk, and 5ish deer that I've killed with the ttsx's. I will keep the range short to keep the speed up. Barnes expand like clockwork in my experience.
I agree that there are lead bullets that are more devastating, but then I have to consider the birds and my kids that are eating the meat.

*all killed with 150 grain ttsx 308

Last edited:
OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
And, when you hit a major bone with the barnes, the petals like to shear off and go cause more destruction. For the record, I've hit zero deer or elk shoulders on the way in with a barnes. But, if I do, you can guarantee the bullet won't go splat.

OP
Trackselk

Trackselk

WKR
I should add, that I won't be shooting anything but small tasty bears, unless they attack my goats...
Not sitting in a tree shooting the big alpha male, not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my style, and I'd use my 308 or 6.5 for big bears.
I actually don't have cargo space for hauling a massive bear hide and head attached (IDFG regs) out from my 14 mile camp/ hunting area. I even have to mostly flesh out the small ones to fit them on a packgoat.

BAKPAKR

WKR
My daughter and I have shot a few deer with 62 gr TTSXs out of an 14.5” barrel. All have been one shot kills. The farthest was a little over 100 yards.

I have been more impressed with the performance of the TTSX than I have with the 77 gr TMK; however, I acknowledge that TMK kills have generally been at longer ranges.

TheGDog

WKR
Black Hills 62gr Dual Performance would be worth checking out. It’s the controlled chaos bullet from Lehigh defense.
I would stay away from the Controlled Chaos rounds in .223rem. My experience with them is limited, but... A shot on a coyote... and I believe it deflected off a thin Juniper branch on the way in. Anyway... it deflected significantly from shoulder, down to just a big splash wound at the lumbar/saccral region of the coyote.

Since Bears could be on the menu, I'd figure you'd want to at least pick 62gr or higher, and I'd probably go for the Barnes TTSX. Depending on your twist rate you might be able to support an even higher grain .224 bullet. Barnes used to have 70gr TTSX's avail. Last time I looked they weren't listed anymore now.

But I'd definitely not do the Controlled Chaos because as I recall that's a fragmenting kind of round.