Bergkomfort Wanderstiefel 2.0 Review

Willyb43

FNG
This site has helped me solve some long standing gear issues that plagued me over the last handful of years regarding rifle/optics expectations and reliability. I feel I should exercise some level of reciprocity for all the money and time I saved by not continuing that trial and error testing on my own. This is my attempt at giving back, there’s going to be some personal rambling and backstory here to start so I’ll start my actual review in a second post for those that don’t care and want to move strait into the actual product. Sorry if this sucks, if I’m glancing over relevant details, or if you have specific questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

As a backstory, I have wide-ish feet and most shoes/boots don’t fit them well. I have a wide forefoot, wide ish midfoot, a narrow heel, and narrow ankles relative to my boot size. Around 2010ish I tried on a pair of merrell trailglove’s while shoe shopping. I had no interest in barefoot shoes and found it’s minimalist design somewhat off putting, but it was the best fitting shoe I’d ever tried on and I couldn’t un-know that, so I bought them anyways. I still own them, they are pretty impractical; they are basically hygroscopic, your feet could get wet in them during a drought. They are super low cut, and get filled with debris if you are hiking off trail or in seeded grasses. They stink pretty much 24/7, worst smelling shoes I’ve ever owned and I don’t tend to have smelly feet. And the tread is only ok, it works but nothing great. They wear like iron, but are best suited to hard pack grippy surfaces like the hard packed trails. Since buying them and wearing them I gained some appreciation for minimalist footwear, and I wear some form of it a lot a decade later. The pro list for me would be: The fit, generous toe box, and lack of a raised heel or “zero drop” in the designs. Some will disagree, but I don’t always want a super thin flexible sole of a minimalist shoe. My work life on industrial construction sites requires robust safety toe work boots, which generally lack all of the features of minimalist footwear. So I’m far from being a born again zealot when it comes to the barefoot boot types, I see pros and cons to both.

I’ve tried, owned, returned or sold most traditional brands of boots due to a bad fit. In the last 10 years have bought and used lowa renegades, crispi summits, crispi nevadas, and Meindl comfort fits. I’ve warrantied 3 pairs of boots due to goretex failures in the last 5 years alone, and am no longer interested in goretex lined boots for early dry season use. Once the membrane fails, I have perfectly serviceable boots that don’t breathe well and don’t keep my feet dry if needed.

The Meindl comfort fit’s are hands down the best fitting traditional boot for my feet I’ve used, however they have a huge tall heel, very rampy feeling. And the shaft height and goretex lining make them too hot for the vast majority of my hunting season. My feet run hot and unless it’s below freezing with snow on the ground I don’t like to use them.

I wear Vivo tracker esc’s quite a bit, I really like them actually. No membrane lining, thin and flexible, I feel more agile in them, or maybe just less clumsy. I am far less noisy hunting in them than traditional boots, but the outsole is too thin for me in some applications.

I’ve been looking for something to bridge the gap between the Vivo and the Meindl. I bought some lems boulder summits recently to try, and found them kind of narrow, and the WP membrane and fabric padding makes them to hot.

My want list was:

-all leather construction, preferably leather lined and no waterproof membrane

-zero drop

-generous toebox

-thinner outsole with heel in tread

-rubber rand of some sort

So I rolled the dice and ordered some boots from a German company called Baer shoes, the model I ordered are BÄR Bergkomfort Wandersteifel 2.0. They tick every box from my want list. I wore them around my house for a few days to make sure the fit was ok. And I’ve been wearing them out on my daily hikes with my pointer for over a week. And so far I’m elated. I’ve been doing creek crossings on every outing, so far no wet feet. Breathability is excellent, fully leather lined with no membrane. Zero drop, with a small integrated heel in outsole. Total thickness of the footbed and outsole is around 16mm from what I can measure.

As I have the most use on my tracker ESC’s I figure I’ll do my best to compare them sizing wise for anyone who is interested in these. As so far those are the best, non lined, leather boots I’ve found that fit my feet.

However here is my current lineup of comparable footwear that you might own if you want a comparison to any of them for sizing, absent are my meindls as it’s no longer winter and they are stashed away. But I could dig them out if someone wants a size comparison.

IMG_1919.jpeg

From L to R:

birks size 43, merrell trail glove US10, Vivo’s US10, Lems summit US10, BÄR 2.0 US10/43

Last edited:
OP
W

Willyb43

FNG
The review:

Boots were bought and paid for personally, ordered direct from their website(link below) I used the sizing chart on their website. Aside from order confirmation emails, I have never even been in contact with anyone who works for the company. I paid €308.07, inclusive of shipping. And I had to pay import fees because some aspects of being a Canadian suck.

https://www.baer-shoes.com/bergkomfort-wanderstiefel-2.0-1095-112-06-0/

IMG_1916.jpegIMG_1915.jpegIMG_1909.jpeg

Fit:

I’m a size US10/43 all day every day. My larger foot, my left is 27cm long and 10cm wide. Right is about 26.7cm and also around 10cm wide. I wear a size 10 in vivo, size 43 Birkenstock sandal, size 10 merrell, size 10 redwing work boot(widest width available), size 10 crispi summit and Nevada, size 10 lowa renegade. The only exception to this is I’m a 9.5 Meindl, but they are pretty transparent that their sizing is large by half a size(stupid). I ordered these boots in a US10/UK9/43Eur and the fit is as expected.

The insole length is 28.5cm, and 10.2cm at its widest point.

IMG_1922.jpeg

These boots fit me very well, very similar fit to my vivos. I have ample room for my toes to splay out, I have a fairly large big toe and I find the height of the toe box is shorter than average, but roomy enough. The insole is thicker than average and could be replaced with a thinner option if you need more volume. The insole and boot have no arch support. They fit the width of my mid foot a bit snugger than vivo’s, for me it’s a positive. They are zero drop and feel like it, you feel close to the ground in them, no platform feel like traditional boots.

Insole of the BÄR over the Vivo tracker. Length is identical, profile and width difference can be seen in photo.

IMG_1925.jpeg

Flexibility and ankle mobility:

The boots have a stiffer sole from the heel to half way up the boot, approximately the length of the ugly yellow part of the sole, the front is more flexible that a traditional hiker like my meindl. It is thinner, but lacks the barefoot flexibility and feel of the vivo’s. They are more flexible than my lems boulder summits, you can still roll up the front of the boots to the heel area but they don’t roll up like the vivo’s do. It’s a pretty ideal middle ground for me, and what I’m looking for. The sole is quite low profile and you don’t feel like you’re standing in a platform. I don’t like stiff ankles in boots, if it wasn’t for debris and water resistance I actually prefer a low cut shoe or mid height. However for a boot of this style I have decent ankle mobility. Almost as good as my vivo trackers, there is more resistance to ankle movement but it’s way better than my crispi’s or meindls, which pretty much only have ankle mobility because of all the fabric and padding around your ankle. As these are barely broken in, I anticipate improvement over time of this.

IMG_1910.jpeg

They are this flexible from around this point forward. They don’t hinge at this point, it’s just a reflection of my one hand hold for the photo.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Construction:

They seem to be well constructed. The Rand appears to be rubberized leather and is double stitched. All the leather is good quality, double stitched and the leather liner is supple and soft, The lower laces are fabric loops, I was hesitant about this but based on how pliable they are I believe it’s a better system than metal hardware that would torque on the leather and push in on your foot. The lacing system works very good for my foot, the heel has a good pocket and heel slip/movement is almost non existent for me without having the laces very tight. The whole inside of the boot is leather lined except the inside heel counter, it’s a soft fabric cover. The tongue is gusseted and all the leather on the inside of it is perforated. The outsole is vibram and is soft enough and has plenty of traction. As mentioned they have some level of a defined heel on the outsole while still being zero drop. I anticipate they will play well with gaiters, microspikes and snowshoes when the season comes around. Waterproofing so far has been great out of the box. I’m going to run them untreated as long as possible for testing. But, I anticipate needing at least some leather conditioning to retain waterproofing without a waterproof membrane liner.

IMG_1914.jpegIMG_1912.jpeg

They are very light. Both boots are under 1lb 6oz. They probably weighed less out of the box, as they were used in multiple creek crossings the morning of weighing them, and there is some dirt in the tread. Right boot was lighter, 1lb 5.6oz.

IMG_1923.jpeg

As stated before I’m going to use these a lot, and see how they perform. I’ll update this review as my experience with them evolves. I’m pretty happy with them so far, I bounce back and forth between 8” safety toe work boots, meindl 9” hikers, and barefoot boots/shoes a lot, and sometimes I wish I could blend the two ends of the spectrum a bit better. I’ve been wearing thin soled barefoot type shoes for over 10 years, but the transition into them when I started wasn’t super easy. I think a boot like this might be a better gateway to the barefoot, wide toe box, zero drop boot world than anything else I’ve tried yet. For some it might be as close as they want or need to get to wearing a minimalist boot.

Let me know if this review sucked, if you have any questions, need clarification on anything I’ve stated, or if I can help compare fit or function to any of the other footwear I have on hand as mentioned previously in this post.

Last edited:
This is an awesome review and thanks a ton for doing it! If the construction is solid and durable, I will absolutely have to get a pair sometime

OP
W

Willyb43

FNG
Thanks, so far they look to be built as well or better than any other major brand of boot I’ve purchased or used. I have pretty high expectations of their durability.

Last edited: