Becca's Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt 2016

I can tell you from first hand experience, Kodiak brown bear meat is terrible. I was given a roast from a native subsistence bear, the wife made stroganoff and it was very strong and close to inedible. I never tried it again.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!! Nice looking bear. Rubbed at all,How old, how big of skull? What you having your taxi do with it? What taxi?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Congrats!! Nice looking bear. Rubbed at all,How old, how big of skull? What you having your taxi do with it? What taxi?

As a good rule of thumb, so long as my taxidermist has enough work....I don't reveal how I use to keep the lead times to a minimum ;)

We are going to rug it. No rubs at all....great hide complete with frosted tips. We did see an honest 10'er that was rubbed up pretty good the first day in that we couldn't shoot due to same day though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Don't rip me for not knowing but what is lukes pack? I am in the market.

No rips at all man. Its a Kifaru Duplex frame with an EMR II packbag. The 3 horizontal compression straps on the bag make it really easy to attach and secure big awkward loads like packrafts, duffle bags, and bear hides. And the center zip makes it nice to access all the gear in your pack in a hurry.

Some people don't like all the clips required to get into your pack, but when not hauling heavy loads one can just use the center horizontal strap and remove the top and bottom ones which makes it quite a bit handier to get into your pack. Overall it found any time I lose by a couple seconds of an extra buckle here or there over say my Mountain Warrior, Highcamp, or Timberline or DT1 style bags is made up for when I load up something I killed. Much easier and quicker to strap bear hides and quarters of game or even bone out quarters on the outside of the bag compressed tight ot the frame than wrestling it in and out of the a big bag. Personal prefference but this is what I have found works for me.

The great thing about Kifaru packbags is they offer and lot of different styles so there has bound to be one that works for you, just a matter of using them enough to find out what your style is. Most here aren't regularly packing grizzly hides every year or packrafts and such, but for me the EMR 2 is by for the best hunting packbag I have used and will continue to use.

Hope that helps.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Except other Brownies L.B.! Becca well done. Despite the brevity of this post I know you exerted a super effort and tested yourself. That skin should always stand as a testiment of a time you persevered and excelled. Luke buddy, you put together sweet adventures. Get your stuff together and dog leg a little further south someday!
Lily wants a Kodiak permit and should the ADFG drawing produce we'll do a hunt fall of 17 for her senior year project.

I really hope she draw!!! And she is going to a SENIOR?!?!? What the heck happened there?!?! She was so young when Kyle and I came down to deer hunt with you!

Honestly Becca and I are as much or more excited about the adventure and route we took to access this hunt area and extract the bear than even getting the bear itself...always fun to do trips that require outside the box thinking even if it means much more work and logistics....

As a good rule of thumb, so long as my taxidermist has enough work....I don't reveal how I use to keep the lead times to a minimum ;)

We are going to rug it. No rubs at all....great hide complete with frosted tips. We did see an honest 10'er that was rubbed up pretty good the first day in that we couldn't shoot due to same day though.

Thanks for saving him for me Luke!! His hide should be filled in by this fall !!!

Bob

No rips at all man. Its a Kifaru Duplex frame with an EMR II packbag. The 3 horizontal compression straps on the bag make it really easy to attach and secure big awkward loads like packrafts, duffle bags, and bear hides. And the center zip makes it nice to access all the gear in your pack in a hurry.

Some people don't like all the clips required to get into your pack, but when not hauling heavy loads one can just use the center horizontal strap and remove the top and bottom ones which makes it quite a bit handier to get into your pack. Overall it found any time I lose by a couple seconds of an extra buckle here or there over say my Mountain Warrior, Highcamp, or Timberline or DT1 style bags is made up for when I load up something I killed. Much easier and quicker to strap bear hides and quarters of game or even bone out quarters on the outside of the bag compressed tight ot the frame than wrestling it in and out of the a big bag. Personal prefference but this is what I have found works for me.

The great thing about Kifaru packbags is they offer and lot of different styles so there has bound to be one that works for you, just a matter of using them enough to find out what your style is. Most here aren't regularly packing grizzly hides every year or packrafts and such, but for me the EMR 2 is by for the best hunting packbag I have used and will continue to use.

Hope that helps.

Good deal thanks, I was in between kifaru and stone g. Leaning to kifaru for sure. Like you say I just need to pick a bag.
Oh and this pushed my plans ahead , I am ordering a raft ASAP.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good deal thanks, I was in between kifaru and stone g. Leaning to kifaru for sure. Like you say I just need to pick a bag.
Oh and this pushed my plans ahead , I am ordering a raft ASAP.

HAHA tell Larry I said "Hello"!

Rafts are pretty darn cool for opening a lot of country. Maybe not quite has handy or as needed in lower 48 with roads everywhere and rarely more than 10 miles from a driveable surface of some sort, but with the limited road access in Alaska they sure open up some options up here and save $$$ on flyouts and pay for themselves but not requiring heavier planes or extra flights on fly outs. ;)

elkguide

WKR
AWESOME hunt. That "Alaskan wallpaper" is going to be incredible.
Thanks for sharing. Hope you guys have another adventure planned to share with us soon!

Broomd

WKR
Wow, great hunt, what an adventure!

I wondered about this.... looked for it more than once in the "bear" thread where I suspected it would be...

Thanks for bringing this back up, I can't stop day dreaming about this coming fall and big Kodiak bears. Nice work Becca and Luke!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys, it was really an incredible adventure! Headed back to Kodiak a week from today to chase deer around...it's a special place that gets under your skin.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys, it was really an incredible adventure! Headed back to Kodiak a week from today to chase deer around...it's a special place that gets under your skin.

Weather was really nice earlier this week. Had a few does stop in the middle of the road and stare at us. Unfortunately I was down there for work and not play.

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I missed it but what bullets and powder did you use.

Had intended to work up some loads, but kind of ran out of time. Ended up using Federal Fusions...they worked so well, no real reason to switch.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats as always Becca! You guys are truly living the dream and making the most of it!