Bear protection

I know this has been covered before but I’m having trouble finding it. What is a good round for a stock Glock 20? I’ve read you shouldn’t use certain ammo with stock spring etc.

I don’t have a lot of first hand experience but there are a bunch of threads rolling around on this.

Buffalo Bore hard cast lead seems to be a popular choice. Lead ammo is considered a no no in stock glock barrels because of fouling in the polygonal rifling causing build up and potential failure. I have also read several threads about people tuning recoil springs for bear ammo but am not sure what is needed.

Tod osier

WKR
Mine shoots doubletap 200s well, they are not the hottest, but they feed perfectly and are very accurate with my unmodified Glock.

I do not shoot a steady diet if them, but shoot cheap fmj 180s for 90-95 percent and shoot 5 or 10 hard cast every session to confirm function.

robtattoo

WKR
Underwood hard cast (I think it's the 200gn) will run just fine for occasional shooting. I believe they give you about the best velocity-weight of anything out there.
They're a damn handful in a G29 though.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I alternate Hornady XTP with Wadcutter bullets in the mag. Penetration with the wadcutters for tough muscle bone and hide and expansion with the XTP for energy delivery.

Last edited:
If you research what is important in bullet design for bear protection it is without a doubt Hardcast with an optimum meplat (front flat part) diameter with sharp edges. Out of the bullets I have seen and researched alot in 2011 and 2012, Double Tap is by far the best choice and is THE optimum bullet with the Beartooth which it was designed after. I've shot countless boxes of the 200 gr WFNGC Hardcast ammo through my G20 without issue. Mine functioned just fine with the stock spring and the Gen 4 should be a little better than Gen 3 stock spring. I chose to go with a 22# spring and Stainless guide rod because the plastic Glock guide rod seemed like a problem waiting to happen even though they must not break because we all know the Glock reputation is they just shoot no matter what. Glock put the no lead statement out there because people were shooting soft lead for practice in mass and that will build up in the barrel and ultimately cause it to go kaboom. Hardcast lead is different but the majority of people are uneducated on the difference so the blanket statement was cast. If you shoot Hardcast lead a mag or 2 at a time and then either clean or shoot some jacketed ammo to knock any lead out of the barrel you will be fine. I will get very minimal lead and it could be more lube than anything in my barrel after a few mags of 15. I have not messed with the underwood hardcast because the original bullet when I was trying stuff was not ideal in shape at all and was more of a truncated 220 that did lead some and was not gas checked.

Let the old-wives tales die without propagating them on this forum please.

Hmmm. I recall the lead fouling barrels / cracking thing being real enough for Glock to issue a notice against firing them some time ago. While I have know lots of people that shot lots of lead from glocks they also made a point of cleaning their barrels every 300-400 rounds specifically to remove lead fouling.

While I agree firing a reasonable amount of hard cast, properly lubed lead allow bullets probably won’t be an issue, I understood that firing a bunch of the wrong kind of lead in any barrel probably causes some fouling and could be an issue. I understood the polygonal rifling May have exacerbated that process.

I think the folks at Buffalo Bore are directionally aligned with that notion per their website:

“... If I did that same amount of shooting with cheap pure lead swaged bullets of unknown origin, I could have severely lead fouled my barrels, to the point of creating a bore obstruction and possible cracking or bursting a barrel. However, in my experience, quality hard cast bullets won't foul a Glock polygonal barrel or any other type of barrel but lead bullets normally will.”

Hart6065

FNG
I plan on loading some Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators. They're only 140 gr, but solid copper monolithic rnds with some awesome penetration. I'm in CA, so I can't have lead bullets in my primary or sidearm while hunting.