Bear pistol carry with a pack - what I did this year and liked...

Tod osier

WKR
Like many are, I was unhappy with my options for carry for my G20 with and without a pack. I came up with a combo that I really liked this year and I wanted to share it. It worked seamlessly for archery elk and I have no plans to try anything new in the future, I'm pretty much 100% happy with it.

Holster on pack belt - this is pretty easy, but the problem is - what happens when you take your pack off?
YF2BRrl.jpg

I used this bianchi holster on my belt. It lays flat with no pistol under the pack belt, yet easily accepts a pistol and holds it plenty securely for the backcountry. I would not use this holster for EDC, but it worked great for this purpose. When breaking down an elk and packing it out (gun in and out a lot), it worked fantastic. Like any holster, extra care needs to be taken when putting the pistol in, but it was very secure once in.
ZADWgpL.jpg

Bianchi Model 101, Foldaway Belt Slide Gun Holster, Size 16.
k7uLO81.jpg

dla

WKR
Back before 10mm was worth a dog poop, I carried a S&W329pd while backpacking. I carried it in a top-flap holster connected to my pack using Vietnam-era military pouch clips. When I dropped my pack for the night, I unclipped my 44mag and carried it on my hip if fishing, or just kept it with me while sleeping.

Hootybob

FNG
Back before 10mm was worth a dog poop, I carried a S&W329pd while backpacking. I carried it in a top-flap holster connected to my pack using Vietnam-era military pouch clips. When I dropped my pack for the night, I unclipped my 44mag and carried it on my hip if fishing, or just kept it with me while sleeping.

Have been mean-mugging the 329pd....worth the money?

dla

WKR
Have been mean-mugging the 329pd....worth the money?
Knowing what I do now - no. If you buy a 4+" barrel 10mm and don't put little kiddie stuff like optics and aftermarket barrels, etc., You'll have a heavier but adequate bear zapper for less money.

Last I checked the 329pd was $1200, and you can get a G20 for $650. The fully loaded G20 is 40oz versus 31oz for a loaded 329pd.

I have been working with the same dilemma.
Hip belt holster for a SW 386 6" (357 7-shot relative of the 329).
I added heavy duty snaps to the belt loop of a Uncle Mikes nylon holster and snapped it into place.
It never failed but I never completely trusted that, either (I had an Uncle Mikes rip the plastic belt loop off one time) so next was to take stiff Scuba webbing and sew a loop on to the holster that would fit entirely over the hip belt of my pack.
Much more secure but the holster does flop a bit.
I might add a plastic stiffener to reduce the flop but still seeking the perfect solution.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I just use a paddle holster. When using the pack, I slip it in the pack webbing. When I take the pack off, I slip it in my belt or waist band if not using a belt.

I know a lot of people like paddle holsters, this is another option. I've transferred a holster between pack belt and pants belt and that works fine. The main thing that set me on the path to end up with his option is that a bulky holster, like a holster with paddle, is really uncomfortable for me in a helinox chair. This combo works great for me, the holster is securely clipped to the pack and doesn't come off when I swing the pack on and off and I can slip the pistol in the belt holster without adjusting my belt AND comfortably sit in a helinox chair.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR

How did you know the IWB clips would fit that holster?

ETA: And what pack belt?

How did you know the IWB clips would fit that holster?

ETA: And what pack belt?
Look again, I wrote they both are OWB. I bought em and hoped for the best...it worked out (on all pack belts). Just be sure to Superglue the screws in otherwise they come loose over time when you hike. I'm a big boy and have not have any issues sitting in my Helinox with a sidearm. Even a big .44 wheel gun.

IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Look again, I wrote they both are OWB. I bought em and hoped for the best...it worked out. Just be sure to Superglue the screws in otherwise they come loose over time when you hike. I'm a big boy and have not have any issues sitting in my Helinox with a sidearm. Even a big .44 wheel gun.

View attachment 511617

It almost seems like you are challenged by there being another option out there than what you decided on. It is common knowledge that a paddle holster works for many. I'm glad you found what works great for you, I have different needs.

I'm carrying at 3-4-5 o'clock on my belt, which is where I always carry - not cross draw, which I have never done and don't plan to. The holster is inside the chair and with the bulk of a holster that stands off from the belt like a paddle holster is flat out unworkable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dla

Fatcamp

WKR
Look again, I wrote they both are OWB. I bought em and hoped for the best...it worked out. Just be sure to Superglue the screws in otherwise they come loose over time when you hike. I'm a big boy and have not have any issues sitting in my Helinox with a sidearm. Even a big .44 wheel gun.

View attachment 511617

I meant the IWB portion of the paddle. I've never used a paddle so nomenclature is a bit foreign to me. I have a variety of IWB snd OWB holsters but this year want to find an option for moving back and forth from belt to pack.

Up to now I just suffer with an IWB under my pack belt.

It almost seems like you are challenged by there being another option out there than what you decided on. It is common knowledge that a paddle holster works for many. I'm glad you found what works great for you, I have different needs.

I'm carrying at 3-4-5 o'clock on my belt, which is where I always carry - not cross draw, which I have never done and don't plan to. The holster is inside the chair and with the bulk of a holster that stands off from the belt like a paddle holster is flat out unworkable.
I wasn't replying to you, I was answering fatcamp's question. Whatever works for the hunter works. It's not a competition.

Beendare

WKR
Back before 10mm was worth a dog poop, I carried a S&W329pd
I ‘ve always wondered about the durability and longevity on hose Scandium frame revolvers.

Whats been your experience?

Any blowby between the frame and barrel after awhile?

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I wasn't replying to you, I was answering fatcamp's question. Whatever works for the hunter works. It's not a competition.

I'm gonna order one of the paddles you mentioned and try it with my competition Bladetech.

I was gonna mount a G-code setup this year but it's about $200. 😐

Fatcamp

WKR
I ‘ve always wondered about the durability and longevity on hose Scandium frame revolvers.

LOL. I have spent a little time with them. I like recoil and would be hard pressed to put many rounds through that thing. 😁

Been wanting to try the Razco mounted on the bino harness but now I'm leaning towards the new holster mount on the Exo K4

dla

WKR

Durability is fine - and S&W Customer Service has been first rate when something needed work.

Since I already own it, I shoot it well, and the 44mag is big step up from the 10mm - I've no intention of swapping it for a heavier, wimpier, 10mm.
But if a guy has no revolver experience, doesn't reload, then the current crop of 10mm pistols is a cheaper bear zapper solution.

Btw, I like the 357mag too, but I actually like a diameter that starts with "4" :) better.

MattB

WKR
I have used a holster that mounts to the Molle webbing on my Kifaru belt and a paddle holster that rides in my lid until I drop my pack. Pretty quick switch when needed.

I do like the OP’s strategy, similar to what Nick Muche does.