How do you carry your pistol?

GoDawgs48

FNG
As the title implies, how do y’all carry your pistol in the backcountry/while hunting? I was planning on using a light gunbelt/ CCW belt and attaching a True North Concepts MHA so the gun won’t be in the way of my pack’s hip belt and give me some clearance to draw.

On the flip side, anybody a fan of carrying it somewhere on your bino harness/with a shoulder holster? Why?

grfox92

WKR
I was using an HPG chest rig with a bino pouch on the front Molle webbing. That combo got real heavy with binoculars and a pistol on the same harness and wound up giving me a neck pain and a tension headache every day.

I switched to a holster on my hip belt, and a conventional bino harness, knowing that set up was temporary because I hadn't yet bought a 10mm and was carrying a 9mm at the time.

This year I will be using a chest rig for my 10mm underneath my bino harness. My philosophy there is that it's two independent harness for the weight of binos and the pistol. Not sure if it works in the real world but I guess I'll find out.

I really wanted to love the HPG chest rig for hunting, but it was just to heavy. It is a great product and I use it for carrying my pistol when running in town now.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I think weight matters here. I like my FHF Bino harness the way it is. I don’t want it heavier.

I also want to be able to have the pistol when I’m not wearing the Bino harness.

Last two years I ran a FHF bino harness with razco holster for my 10mm. Combo works great, easy to hike in, wear a pack and easy to draw.

It is heavy and I have considered trying a drop holster to get some weight off my bino harness.

AKDoc

WKR
I don't use a bino chest harness. Therefore, my backcountry pistol carry is a Kenai chest holster. It securely and safely holds my G-20. A very comfortable carry even under a PFD all day on remote floats, and always quick access regardless of what I'm doing.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried a similar set up with the sidearm on my pant belt with a bladetech adapter to get it away from the belt on my pack. I did not care for it. The sidearm not being up on my belt line and feeling it on my thigh as I walked felt awkward. Drawing was also a little awkward. I practiced and got used to it but also had a worry that I would struggle to get it out in a panic.

I went back to carrying a holster on the hip belt of my pack. I can move it over to the belt of my pants if I drop my pack.

MT-Native

FNG
Gunfighter chest holster W/ G20 or 40. Then strap badlands bino over and it works well. It all holds in place snug once sinched down some. I like it for mobility and much easier to run/jog/move fast w/o having loppy weight on the hips.

Rooggvc

WKR
I bought a chest holster from NW Retention. They really allow you to customize the pistol and light combo you use.

SwiftShot

WKR
Marsupial Gear Bino Harness with pistol attached under it. Moving to a Taurus Raging Hunter in 454 with 5 inch barrel. That will go in a Gunfighter.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve spent a lot of time with a drop leg holster in the mountains, both at work and recreationally while hunting/backpacking. In my opinion, it is a terrible way to carry a pistol while hunting. I found that my gun and holster were always extremely dirty, they would get wet if there was any moisture especially walking through brush, and it caused me being extra noisy because it was always rubbing on branches/leaves/etc. I prefer wearing as minimal a belt or no belt while wearing a pack. I found I had to have a thicker belt and would have to keep it cinched down pretty tight, which led to discomfort.

I’ve been using a Kenai chest rig for about 5 years and love it. It’s out of the way, but easily accessible if I need it. For what it’s worth, I tried the MHA and found it rubbed me weird on my right side. I wasn’t a fan.

I stick my pistol in between the inner and outer portions of the waist belt on my MR packs. Out of the way, but I am able to get to it if I need to.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't like much of anything on my chest while hunting, so no bino pack or chest holster. I carry my G20 like I do every day, on my hip on my pants belt. My day pack waist belt easily secures above and inside it. My hauling pack (SG Krux) has a more padded belt so puts some outward pressure on the gun, but I can easily move it to the pack belt as well. I wear my packs higher than most.......secured around my waist. When using my day pack, I barely even notice that I'm carrying.