How do you carry your pistol?

I have an ivory holster on my pack belt & when i get back to camp at night i move the holster to my pants belt.

11boo

WKR
IMG_4275.jpeg
HPG. Rifle hunting, so no pistol needed. I put odds and ends in the gun pouch.
During archery, the bigger bino pouch gets swapped for smaller and a 365xl goes along.

chest area mounting. Either under arm(think cross draw or 80's detective) or direct front of my chest.. hiking involves enough bending and twisting that a gun will get in the way. Having hip carried a gun with a shit ton of patrol gear, i'll tell you that it gets in the way

Bearsears

WKR
I was using an HPG chest rig with a bino pouch on the front Molle webbing. That combo got real heavy with binoculars and a pistol on the same harness and wound up giving me a neck pain and a tension headache every day.

I switched to a holster on my hip belt, and a conventional bino harness, knowing that set up was temporary because I hadn't yet bought a 10mm and was carrying a 9mm at the time.

This year I will be using a chest rig for my 10mm underneath my bino harness. My philosophy there is that it's two independent harness for the weight of binos and the pistol. Not sure if it works in the real world but I guess I'll find out.

I really wanted to love the HPG chest rig for hunting, but it was just to heavy. It is a great product and I use it for carrying my pistol when running in town now.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Im curious if you were using the strap kit with your HPG chest rig to take the weight off of your shoulders while wearing your backpack? Ive been doing something similar with my AGC bino harness for a long time and its worked great for me to aleviate neck pain from a heavy bino harness. I decided to start carrying my pistol this year after a close call with a bull moose and Im heavily considering the HPG setup because of the ability to transfer the weight to my pack with the strap kit.

Bearsears

WKR
View attachment 553139
HPG. Rifle hunting, so no pistol needed. I put odds and ends in the gun pouch.
During archery, the bigger bino pouch gets swapped for smaller and a 365xl goes along.
What else do you have attached on the front in this pic other than the bino pouch? Which pack are you running and how do you like the fit? Im considering either the full size or recon medium

Would you mind sharing which one you're using?

Thanks!
BC Guide gear, it's called the Raptor. I believe the manufacturer is from Washington state, it is well made with extra pockets on each side for your range finder also. Works for me very well.

TheHammer

WKR
Depends on the pistol I feel like carrying. I have an Alaskan guide holster rigged up for shoulder bag strap. Or I typically have a cross draw setup on my waistband.

I carry a Sigg P3 65 XL. It fits real nice in the large slide pocket on the back of my Binocular case. I don’t really notice the extra weight.

11boo

WKR
What else do you have attached on the front in this pic other than the bino pouch? Which pack are you running and how do you like the fit? Im considering either the full size or recon medium
TQ, which now resides on my pack, an older Kuiu ultra 3k. I like that pack so much I’m hesitant to try anything else. It’ll wear out someday .
it’s a full size HPG bag.

IMG_3423.jpeg

grfox92

WKR
I was using an HPG chest rig with a bino pouch on the front Molle webbing. That combo got real heavy with binoculars and a pistol on the same harness and wound up giving me a neck pain and a tension headache every day.

I switched to a holster on my hip belt, and a conventional bino harness, knowing that set up was temporary because I hadn't yet bought a 10mm and was carrying a 9mm at the time.

This year I will be using a chest rig for my 10mm underneath my bino harness. My philosophy there is that it's two independent harness for the weight of binos and the pistol. Not sure if it works in the real world but I guess I'll find out.

I really wanted to love the HPG chest rig for hunting, but it was just to heavy. It is a great product and I use it for carrying my pistol when running in town now.

Update. I used the HPG chest rig with my pistol in it, underneath my AGC Binoharnes.

This carried like a dream, the 2 independent harnesses distributed the weight much better then having everything on one.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
How dumb I was!
Back in the 70's when I was physically and fiscally able to hunt out west, I bravely (?) stuck everything I thought I might need in a pants or coat pocket! 😖
But in my defense, backpacks had just begun to shrink somewhat and only (Ahnold dialect!) "girlie men" used fanny packs!