Barrel threading….again.

z987k

WKR
I went a similar route to thread a tikka t3x sporter barrel to 5/8x24. My barrel started as a 7 rem mag but was bored out to 338 win mag. I shipped it to ADCO Firearms for them to chop, thread, and install their tapered shoulder. Total cost was about $175 with shipping from Anchorage and had it back in less than two weeks.

The tapered shoulder came loose while fiddling with it when I got it but I retightened it with some blue loctite. It's been super solid, and accuracy and repeatability has been great.

It'll be nice when sporter barrels all come with belled and threaded muzzles.
Is that just a thread on fitting over the other threads?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
So Shaen rifles can put a permanent flare/shoulder/thread thing on a barrel making the threads 5/8x24.

At this point, this seems like the perfect option and sort of a one stop solution. I’m not sure if I’ll have him do it to both rifles or just one but I’m leaning towards getting both done this way. If it’s all good, then I suppose I’ll send him a few more to do the same on.
I am not familiar with Shaen so no offense is intended, but based on my prior bad experience with another company, I would send Shaen the exact threading specs recommended for your suppressor and get Shaen to confirm that’s what they are going to do.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went a similar route to thread a tikka t3x sporter barrel to 5/8x24. My barrel started as a 7 rem mag but was bored out to 338 win mag. I shipped it to ADCO Firearms for them to chop, thread, and install their tapered shoulder. Total cost was about $175 with shipping from Anchorage and had it back in less than two weeks.

The tapered shoulder came loose while fiddling with it when I got it but I retightened it with some blue loctite. It's been super solid, and accuracy and repeatability has been great.

It'll be nice when sporter barrels all come with belled and threaded muzzles.
I am not familiar with Shaen so no offense is intended, but based on my prior bad experience with another company, I would send Shaen the exact threading specs recommended for your suppressor and get Shaen to confirm that’s what they are going to do.
Shaen comes highly recommended, he posts here on rokslide too. From all the reviews I’ve read I’ve never seen a bad one. He dosent advertise or have a flashy website because he dosent need one, his reputation does his advertising. That being said, I will send that thread spec sheet from TBAC to him when I get stuff boxed up and shipped.

6.5x284

WKR
I need to do this on a Fieldcraft for a TBAC Ultra 5. Anyone know the way to contact Shaen to maybe get a picture of this tapered shoulder fitting? Like the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I need to do this on a Fieldcraft for a TBAC Ultra 5. Anyone know the way to contact Shaen to maybe get a picture of this tapered shoulder fitting? Like the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Email him through the contact link on his Shaen rifles website.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Every barrel I’ve had threaded I print out and send this document with the rifle and I discuss with the smith my expectations that the job meet these specs.
I haven’t been disappointed yet, and have had a few smiths express pleasure that I provided my exact desires in a way they could easily understand.
I don’t own a thunderbeast product.

For sure, I am sure Shaen knows what he’s doing but I’ll print it out as well as email it to him when I get my stuff packed up for shipping (maybe today or tomorrow). I’m ready to get this done.

For sure, I am sure Shaen knows what he’s doing but I’ll print it out as well as email it to him when I get my stuff packed up for shipping (maybe today or tomorrow). I’m ready to get this done.
I've not had him do work for me personally, but some of the folks I conversate with hold his work in very high regard. I expect you're good hands.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've not had him do work for me personally, but some of the folks I conversate with hold his work in very high regard. I expect you're good hands.

Yeah for sure, I'm actually kicking myself for not getting a hold of him sooner, he should probably have been the first place I looked.

Wrench

WKR
If you need to quiz your smith on threading, ask if he can provide you with the wire size and measured diameter with the finished job.

If he can....you're probably in good hands.

BBob

WKR
If you need to quiz your smith on threading, ask if he can provide you with the wire size and measured diameter with the finished job.

If he can....you're probably in good hands.
What if I/he/she uses a thread mike instead of wires and provides pitch dia upon request? Would that be acceptable? ;)

Kidding aside I'd agree that your chosen gunsmith should be able to easily hit the manufacturers thread specs, it's not that hard with proper tooling.

It may have already been posted before but in your situation there a a couple of issues with a .308 bore and 1/2-28 threads.

1). The bore diameter of .308 vs the .500 OD (less to the bottom of the threads) is dangerously thin.

2). The lightweight contour of your barrel leaves very little shoulder for the suppressor to face up against. This increases the risk of concentricity variations and potential baffle strikes. This is why light weight barrels are an issue for adding threaded accessories. Obviously issue #1 would be compounded is going to larger diameter threading. You are really in a catch 22 situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It may have already been posted before but in your situation there a a couple of issues with a .308 bore and 1/2-28 threads.

1). The bore diameter of .308 vs the .500 OD (less to the bottom of the threads) is dangerously thin.

2). The lightweight contour of your barrel leaves very little shoulder for the suppressor to face up against. This increases the risk of concentricity variations and potential baffle strikes. This is why light weight barrels are an issue for adding threaded accessories. Obviously issue #1 would be compounded is going to larger diameter threading. You are really in a catch 22 situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Shaen can make it work, no worries!

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to bore size, thread diameter and barrel diameter? For instance, I have a 450 Bushmaster, would like to thread 5/8x24 and where I'd like to cut it the barrel OD is .720". I had a local gunsmith tell me no way and a gunsmith down in Texas that says no problem. I need to send it off to him but just haven't found the time and with not getting my cans out of jail for this hunting season, it'll likely become a spring project.