Barrel threading….again.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What are my actual choices when it comes to using silencers on my rifles. I talked to TBAC today and they said that 1/2x28 should. Ever be used for a 30 caliber rifle of any sort. I’ve been doing it with my Kimber Montana 308 with no issues (adapter).

I talked to them about their face mount but I’d be permanently attaching something to the rifles I send them and I’d lose the direct thread option on the TBAC 7 and also not be able to use anything else other than TBAC cans that have that setup….that does not appeal to me at all, furthermore I’d need to send the silencer to them (but I don’t have it yet) which would mean that I couldn’t even get this project started until I get the can.

I see I can rebarrel but that takes a long time and I have been reading lots of complaints about companies like McGowan here on rokslide.

Should I just be selling guns and buying ones that come threaded with 3/8x24 and move on from my other guns?

For a bit I was just thinking of shortening the barrels to the length I wanted and threading them 1/2x28 since they aren’t heavy barrels and using an adapter but TBAC seems to strongly advise against this, I talked to silencer central who sent me an adapter with my banish 30 and they told me that it was for AR15s but wouldn’t comment on their use for a 30 caliber hunting rifle.

I’m getting sort of frustrated with this whole situation, getting rebarreled seems like a major pain in the ass and the thought of waiting months to get something that won’t chamber a round would be total BS.

I’m honestly wondering if it’s time for me to get with the times, sell these rifles and buy something that can take a supressor with no weird shit right off the shelf. Proof elevation, Christensen ridgeline, sig cross etc etc, I mean honestly getting a Kimber re barreled with a lilja costs a lot. Preferred barrels will do the job for like ~650.00, etc.

What have you all done??? Just ran the adapter? Re barrel??? I really don’t like the idea of losing the direct thread option and I don’t want some shitty thing welded to my barrel either.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
There is another thread I posted about my saga with 2 Coopers when they threaded one of them incorrectly. I had been leaning towards the Area 419 for all of my cans but ended up deciding on the TBAC CB and I had TBAC re-thread the barrel. The CB isn’t permanent - just red Loctite. Even I was able to mount and time the second one.

Initially I hated the thought of having the CB on the end of my two rifles for aesthetic reasons, but I got over it. If you want, I can post or send pictures. Just shot it today btw.

The TBAC customer service was awesome. They even agreed to test fire my full setup to make sure everything worked. (I supplied the ammo.) They we’re Johnny on the Spot in communication.

z987k

WKR
I run 1/2x28 threads on my 3006 tikka and the SiCo Harvester suppressor. It's had hundreds of rounds through it like that.

Christensen has 1/2x28 threads on their mesa rifles from the factory in 300wm. Suppressor threads on and runs just fine on that to.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I run 1/2x28 threads on my 3006 tikka and the SiCo Harvester suppressor. It's had hundreds of rounds through it like that.

Christensen has 1/2x28 threads on their mesa rifles from the factory in 300wm. Suppressor threads on and runs just fine on that to.
Why are some companies so against the use of using 1/2x28 but other companies don’t seem to care at all? I have a few hundred rounds through my rifle using the adapter and no problems but the TBAC guys have me scared now.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There is another thread I posted about my saga with 2 Coopers when they threaded one of them incorrectly. I had been leaning towards the Area 419 for all of my cans but ended up deciding on the TBAC CB and I had TBAC re-thread the barrel. The CB isn’t permanent - just red Loctite. Even I was able to mount and time the second one.

Initially I hated the thought of having the CB on the end of my two rifles for aesthetic reasons, but I got over it. If you want, I can post or send pictures. Just shot it today btw.

The TBAC customer service was awesome. They even agreed to test fire my full setup to make sure everything worked. (I supplied the ammo.) They we’re Johnny on the Spot in communication.
I guess what bothers me more than the face mount is that they also have to change the interface on the supressor when I specifically ordered direct thread.

If I bought a new gun and wanted to suppress it, I’d have to send it to get a face mount installed.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I guess what bothers me more than the face mount is that they also have to change the interface on the supressor when I specifically ordered direct thread.
Not sure of your specific situation, but I learned that the exact thread dimensions (not just 1/2 vs 5/8) need to be taken into consideration when matching the suppressor to the barrel. And I couldn’t rely on the rifle manufacturer following the specs, so I went with the suppressor manufacturer.

I do get your frustration. If (?) I do another rifle, I will be in the same quandary.

Wrench

WKR
Why are some companies so against the use of using 1/2x28 but other companies don’t seem to care at all? I have a few hundred rounds through my rifle using the adapter and no problems but the TBAC guys have me scared now.
Several potential headaches. Over tighten and pinch the bore. Drop the rifle and pinch the bore. What's your muzzle diameter? 9/16 an option?

z987k

WKR
Not sure of your specific situation, but I learned that the exact thread dimensions (not just 1/2 vs 5/8) need to be taken into consideration when matching the suppressor to the barrel. And I couldn’t rely on the rifle manufacturer following the specs, so I went with the suppressor manufacturer.

I do get your frustration. If (?) I do another rifle, I will be in the same quandary.
If a smith can't put 3A threads in any dimension on a barrel, they need to never put anything in a lathe again. Those threads are a set standard for a reason.

Wrench

WKR

Threads have 3 "sizes" or class fits within each size.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Several potential headaches. Over tighten and pinch the bore. Drop the rifle and pinch the bore. What's your muzzle diameter? 9/16 an option?
Whatever a tikka lite contour is, the other one I want fixed up is a Kimber Montana so that’s a really thin barrel.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve sold two rifles because of similar issues. There are just too many great factory options now that are good to go without the headaches.

z987k

WKR
I’ve sold two rifles because of similar issues. There are just too many great factory options now that are good to go without the headaches.
I wish there actually were. It's pretty rare to see 5/8 threads on an actual light contour barrel. I can think of only 1 rifle that has it.
That and the barrels tend to be 22-24in, which, imo is too long for a hunting rifle if it's going to be suppressed.

There's good factory options for brakes. Very few made with suppressors in mind.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I wish there actually were. It's pretty rare to see 5/8 threads on an actual light contour barrel. I can think of only 1 rifle that has it.
That and the barrels tend to be 22-24in, which, imo is too long for a hunting rifle if it's going to be suppressed.

There's good factory options for brakes. Very few made with suppressors in mind.
I assumed that he was moving away from light contour since he mentioned Proof/Ridgeline. More options are coming out steadily every year though, just look at the suppressor ready options now compared to 5 years ago. Maybe not light but Mesa FFT looks pretty attractive, SA are 20” and advertised at 5.5lbs.

z987k

WKR
I assumed that he was moving away from light contour since he mentioned Proof/Ridgeline. More options are coming out steadily every year though, just look at the suppressor ready options now compared to 5 years ago. Maybe not light but Mesa FFT looks pretty attractive, SA are 20” and advertised at 5.5lbs.
That mesa FFT has 1/2x28 threads in it's 30 cal options, including the magnums.

I called both them and my suppressor manufacturer about using my 30 cal can on there and both said it's fine. As did my smith and SiCo on using the 1/2x28 on my tikka.

That said, I still prefer 5/8, and don't really consider a 30 cal meant for a suppressor from the factory if they put 1/2 threads on it.

The manufacturer of my other suppressor recommends using a simple 1/2 to 5/8 adapter and semi-permanently mounting it for 1/2x28 30 cals. That way you can use any mounting system you want.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If a smith can't put 3A threads in any dimension on a barrel, they need to never put anything in a lathe again. Those threads are a set standard for a reason.
Agreed. In my case they varied from the standard.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Whatever a tikka lite contour is, the other one I want fixed up is a Kimber Montana so that’s a really thin barrel.
Keep me posted. The Tikka Lite shortened and suppressed for my TBAC is on the top of my list.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Keep me posted. The Tikka Lite shortened and suppressed for my TBAC is on the top of my list.
That is/was my plan, just trying to figure out how to go about it. Re barrel? Chop/thread/adapter? Sell and get that lite veil threaded model?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

TBAC makes a good can. However, they are so far into the scared of everything side it is silly. Your barrel nor can is going to blow up using 1/2x28 threads, nor will it do so with a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter. There are rifles all over the world using just that, and I would wager I have more rounds alone doing so myself than all the “it won’t work” people combined.

z987k

WKR
That is/was my plan, just trying to figure out how to go about it. Re barrel? Chop/thread/adapter? Sell and get that lite veil threaded model?
The veil models are heavier than the lites.

If you want to see my 3006 tikka with 1/2 threads on it, I'm sure we live not too far from each other.