Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is still confused as to the maneuverability of a vessel on the water by either inexperience or drifting without the ability to course correct, just go down to the local marina in your area and watch all the dweebs (landlubbers) on a busy weekend and then multiply it by 85 fold.

It's hilariously spooky to watch people try and "drive" a boat the way they do a car...

Yoder

WKR
I doubt it was a terrorist attack. Either accidental or our own government was involved.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I heard that the ship dropped its anchor, which is what caused the sharp turn into the bridge.

Don't know if that's true or not, but I could see the crew panicking and doing that if they were not competent.

Competence is hard to come by these days, apparently.
It's SOP to drop anchors during a loss of power event, at least that's what the experts are saying on TV. Sounds like it happens more frequently than we think, unfortunately this one happened in the worst possible location

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
T

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I just read the Port of Baltimore is losing $100mil a day.

SWOHTR

WKR
It's SOP to drop anchors during a loss of power event, at least that's what the experts are saying on TV. Sounds like it happens more frequently than we think, unfortunately this one happened in the worst possible location

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yes, it is routine to have the windlasses and brakes manned during a restricted waters transit. It's also common to walk the anchor out to "at the dip" prior to getting underway, that way it's already "dangling" there and simply needs a few turns of the brake to be let go.

Not sure if they did this, I'm just telling you it's a common practice.

Reactions: TVW

crich

WKR
1- AI videos exist now.
2- who'd have thought that something slow and heavy could cause so much damage. I was under the impression that only light and fast can do such things. :p
This has inspired my new tikka build. Plan to run a 450g 50cal death pill. Going to run an 18" barrel hopefully. Should run less than 2000fps to buck the wind that way whatever it runs into will shatter the legs off instantly. Paint job you ask? Going to run the new kyrlon matte camo paint... once she is underway her name will be shipwreck.

MattB

WKR
An article from USA Today titled "Baltimore bridge collapse was tragic enough. Then came the right-wing conspiracy theorists." came across my news feed. Frankly, the article is crap, but the title made me think of some of you guys.

OP
T

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
An article from USA Today titled "Baltimore bridge collapse was tragic enough. Then came the right-wing conspiracy theorists." came across my news feed. Frankly, the article is crap, but the title made me think of some of you guys.

Left wing media trying to paint people crazy who are questioning the narrative only makes me think even more that something nefarious happened.

How many "conspiracy theories" have we seen turn out to be true in the last few years? :ROFLMAO:

OP
T

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
How fragile is your supply chain system over there? Is it causing chaos yet?

We always seem to be 3 days away from crisis here in Australia.

Can't really say as I'm about as far from Balitmore as you can get, but our supply chain system is just as fragile as anyone else's.

That's why I don't think you can rule out terrorism just because a bunch of people didn't die....you don't have to instantly kill a bunch of people to put the hurt on a country.

What if another port is knocked outta commission next week? How many can we survive without?

For the record, I'm not fully on board that this was an attack, but I do think it's kinda weird how within minutes of this happening the government and news agencies were all over making sure everyone knew it was an accident. How did they know so quickly that nothing nefarious happened?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Patrick Doran @lunch_enjoyer after just 30 minutes of extensive research, I have become an expert on cargo ships and I know exactly how I could have stopped that boat from hitting that bridge • 10:29 AM Mar 26, 2024 13.3K Views •

Status
Not open for further replies.