Bad experiences with stone glacier packs

sr80

WKR
ill also ad, along with their great service, they have great gear. Everything ive ordered from them has been top notch, well designed and thought out. They aren't masking mediocre gear with their great CS

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
That's definitely a good experience you had with them! Sucks to hear you don't like the evo because it's the one I got 😣 Thanks for sharing!
I'm going to post the bag on here for sell because to be honest I didn't like the pocket either I got this as a gift. Im going to order their sky bag hehe 😅

nobody

WKR
That's definitely a good experience you had with them! Sucks to hear you don't like the evo because it's the one I got 😣 Thanks for sharing!
Honestly the bag is a great size for 3 and 4 day trips and shorter, I love everything about it. The only reason I’m selling it is because I discovered I NEVER carry my full sized spotter, so the spotting scope pocket did me no good. I just wanted that cubic inch-age somewhere else.

Funny enough, the EVO 40/56 is Kurt Racicot’s (SG Founder and lead designer) favorite pack for all his hunts. It’s super nichey, and if you want Uber lightweight and a spotting scope pocket it can’t be beat.

Don’t sell ANYTHING until you’ve put some weight in it and confirmed it fits you. Then go from there. It’s easier to sell a bag on a frame that doesn’t fit you than a bag without a frame

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m definitely the exception to the rule when it comes to peoples experiences with the customer service…
Ordered my gf at the time a 5900 for Christmas. Pack showed up pretty much the Christmas Eve so it got wrapped. Kids and whatnot, didn’t get the look at it that I should have, so it got strung onto her Krux frame and got used a few times over the winter before I realized it wasn’t the pack I actually paid for. Was about a significant price difference between what I ordered and what I got.

All of that was my fault for not checking it out closer when it showed up, but the customer service after the fact wasn’t what I would have expected.

peterk123

WKR
I think I have had my SG for almost three years. It gets used a lot. I use it for backcountry fishing, day hikes, overnighters, hunting and hauling big rocks from all over the place for our garden. It helped haul out eight animals so far. I think the pack is used every week of the year for something. Given what I do with the thing, I could be the poster child for that company :)

It is holding up great. I am not seeing any signs of it breaking down, and I'm not exactly gentle with it.

BrodieBC

FNG
Ive had nothing but good experiences with SG packs. The frame just plain works for me and doesnt even feel like Im wearing a pack. Ive run my Solo more than anything and love it for day trips. I also have a 5900, 6900, and 7900 that Im running through the paces this season. I love how well the larger packs compress down to be used as a day pack. All their "Sky" model packs are awesome day packs in bivy mode with or without the lid and having the extra space when you need it is awesome.

Goshawk

FNG
So which SG pack would you guys recommend for 4-5 days at a time muzzleloader Elk hunts in CO?

nobody

WKR
So which SG pack would you guys recommend for 4-5 days at a time muzzleloader Elk hunts in CO?
COL 4800 or Sky 5900 with a lid. I use a Sky 5900 for everything, and it even packs down tight into a great day pack if I tidy up the straps. Rule of thumb: if you think you only need 4000 cubic inches, buy 5000. There's lots of gear that's not necessarily heavy, but takes up space. It's nice to not be stressing the zippers and fighting to dig through your pack with things falling out left and right. If it's underfilled by a bit at all times, it makes digging through and putting things in and pulling things out throughout the day easy. And then if you ever decide you want to do a couple extra days, you've got the space.

EDIT: When I go into daypack mode I also remove the lid, further shrinking the pack's size on my back. There's lots of ways to make a bigger pack work as a smaller pack, but no way to make a smaller pack work as a bigger pack.

Last edited:
Stone Glacier is a damn good outfit. My SG gear has worked great for me on numerous hunts and scouting trips. I highly recommend checking out their line of products if you're in the market for new gear.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Stone Glacier is a damn good outfit. My SG gear has worked great for me on numerous hunts and scouting trips. I highly recommend checking out their line of products if you're in the market for new gear.
I ended up with the evo 40/56. I took it hunting but didn't get to pack an animal in it. It was super comfortable. I have since bought a few pieces of clothing and they are second to none with many of their pieces even though their lineup is not very extensive.

wapitibob

WKR
I had half an Elk lashed to their frame and managed to get it off the ground by only one shoulder strap. Thought it would pop but it didn't. The stays did get shoved up thru the top of the frame fabric on the haul out but they fixed it and had it back to me in short order.
no complaints

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They recently upgraded the belt on my 5 year old xcurve frame for free, no questions, no hassle, didn’t even make me pay shipping. I have the 7900 bag/lid.

Oh, I have a HUGE SG gripe. They haven’t released a 2023 Black Label product and I’m convinced it’s because they hate me and want me to go off the deep end.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Oh, I have a HUGE SG gripe. They haven’t released a 2023 Black Label product and I’m convinced it’s because they hate me and want me to go off the deep end.
😂. Did you not get their catalog? It's gonna be a black cirque jacket. Looks bad ass lol I'm getting one even though I already have the gray one lol

😂. Did you not get their catalog? It's gonna be a black cirque jacket. Looks bad ass lol I'm getting one even though I already have the gray one lol
Oh I got it. But I’m pretty sure they are just taunting me cause there’s an empty hanger next to my BLGrumman