Backpack Stoves

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Okay guys so I'm planning on buying a new stove soon and I'm pretty torn on what to get. I live in the southeast and it's not like I'll be relying on this thing for 6 days straight every meal but I do want to have it for a meal while hunting and even when fishing now and then. Are you guys liking Jetboils or something like the Pocket Rockets? This will be my first stove so I'm honestly unsure what to even expect out of it or how versatile they are.

Tbh I bought the cheap knockoff on Amazon of the pocket rocket and rely on it for multiple day hunts in the backcountry and spent my money on more important things. Just read the reviews to make sure it isn’t junk.

If your just boiling water then just about anything will work. If quality is important, then I like the MSR Reactor. I like MSR products in general. I also like the MSR Windburner. If you want a small quality stove that will work well in all conditions, then a Soto stove is tough to beat. If your going to be out in freezing temps and want a canister stove that will work down to 0 degrees, then I would recommend a Kovea Spyder. I couple my stoves with the MSR Titan kettle.

If you want something cheap and light weight, look at one of those BRS stoves. I've never bought a Jet Boil but a million other people have and they work as well as anything else.

Someone else mentioned cheap Amazon stoves.

This stove pictured is sold on Amazon under several different brand names. The ones with the orange case are all the exact same stove.

I bought 2 in 2017. One for me and one for my uncle. I have used mine every single year for 5 years. Gone through dozens of fuel canisters. The igniter stopped working, but I just ignite it with a lighter. It has never failed me. It boils water in the extreme Wyoming wind. In my opinion, for me, $12 I wouldn't really think about buying anything else.
2beb04a33b64e4e85d5b822d1d98e288.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I like my soto windmaster, have not had a single issue all the way down to -20 degrees with winds. Boils water, is able to simmer slightly.

If wind and fuel efficiency are important, the reactor type cannot be beat. If you can get fuel easy and it's not windy.... any of the simple burners work.

The key regardless of what model you get is the windscreen. Amazon also. Cheap, and makes the difference.

Pocket rocket,i like jet boil but not as functional,can use a skillet if you want.Thats a must if i kill something,im taking a little olive oil and eating something fresh.

Pocket Rocket.
Got to where I keep mine in my daypack for lunch.
Make a cup of coffee, Ramen, or just heat up beanie weenies
on a cold day.

I really like my pocket rocket unless temps drop too much below freezing, then it's not great since it's a canister stove. If it's windy it really needs a windscreen too. I also keep one in my daypack along with a GSI halulite minimalist to make coffee or ramen.

My brother uses the kovea spider and I think that one is really neat. I like his setup. Nice that you can invert the canister when it gets cold, and use a windscreen as well. Not as simple as the pocket rocket but some nice additional features.

Jetboil micromo, but its the only stove I've owned so I guess I don' know what I'm missing.

Planning on getting a toaks pot for when I have my woodstove, and then will carry one of those cheap amazon burners in case I need it.

Pocket rocket,i like jet boil but not as functional,can use a skillet if you want.Thats a must if i kill something,im taking a little olive oil and eating something fresh.
It's far better to make a real fire for those slices of backstrap at that point😁.
I guess all I have experience with is a pocket rocket I bought in 2006. Still works perfectly. Looking a lil rough. Uses a bit much fuel.

Back