Backpack Stoves

Looks like I am in the minority here, but I use a Jetboil MiniMo. I have been using it for 5 years and love it.

sivart

WKR
The key regardless of what model you get is the windscreen. Amazon also. Cheap, and makes the difference.
Is there a universal windscreen? Do most companies offer a windscreen for their stove? I have a pocket rocket and a jet boil stash. They both suck in the wind

*zap*

WKR
There are very good aftermarket windscreens available, they may weigh a few ounces. I have a very good tall one.

Tails-Up

FNG
Tbh I bought the cheap knockoff on Amazon of the pocket rocket and rely on it for multiple day hunts in the backcountry and spent my money on more important things. Just read the reviews to make sure it isn’t junk.
Link?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I made a windscreen out of a metal coffee can.
Doubles as a backup twig burner in case I run out of fuel.
Drilled a few holes in the top and put a coat hanger
through them to make a holder for my pot.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Someone else mentioned cheap Amazon stoves.

This stove pictured is sold on Amazon under several different brand names. The ones with the orange case are all the exact same stove.

I bought 2 in 2017. One for me and one for my uncle. I have used mine every single year for 5 years. Gone through dozens of fuel canisters. The igniter stopped working, but I just ignite it with a lighter. It has never failed me. It boils water in the extreme Wyoming wind. In my opinion, for me, $12 I wouldn't really think about buying anything else.
2beb04a33b64e4e85d5b822d1d98e288.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Ended up ordering one of these to see how much I actually use it. We shall see how it goes

Matt5266

WKR
I'm using the Jetboil. Had it for years and no issues. As other said i also have some super cheap $15 ones in the orange container and they work to. To each their own.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I think I did the AOTU brand one someone else screen shoted. The only thing I don’t like is the pot supports have a hinge at the top that expands for larger pots. Those hinges are starting to seize on me. If I were to buy another one, I’d get one without hinges and just have permanent “feet”.

I also struggle with turning the heat up high at first and burning the center of whatever I’m cooking. Now I just start it really low and work my way up.

I've used two setups: Jetboil MicroMo and a PocketRocket with a Ti cup.

The latter is lighter, but more cumbersome and MUCH more of a fuel hog vs the JB.
If given the option to only have one, I'd probably choose the JB. The weight "expense" is another 4 oz, but I think you make that up in convenience and conservation of fuel (literally 2x the boils from a small 4 oz canister as the PocketRocket).

I like the simplicity and efficiency of a jetboil.

Got four days out of one small canister at 12k feet and cold this rifle season. That’s heating up a hot nalgene at bedtime too.

I use a Primus Eta Lite+. It's like a JetBoil, but it has a better 'simmer' feature (I no longer use my JetBoil). I like how the cup securely attaches to the stove. I don't think you can go wrong with a MSR tho. Good gear.