Backpack Stoves

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i also use 2 set ups, msr windburner i got for a extended hunt this year, have had the pocket rocket for the past 6 years works great, just cause of how light and cheap the brs stove is i bought it and have been loving how small it is. Super light with a Ti cup.

rayporter

WKR
aluminum foil will work for a wind screen. i have carried one i made years ago out of a triple
layer of foil. it has many trips on it. if you want one a little stronger get a turkey baking pan and cut it to shape.

t_carlson

WKR
If you’re just going to use it for coffee or a hot lunch every once in a while, a Jetboil is my favorite because it’s easy.

Backpacking in cold temps I take an MSR that I can invert the fuel can on.

ODB

WKR
I have several. Thge pocket rocket is easy to use. A little sensitive to wind. I use a small fold-out stand to hold the canister. If it's really cold, toss the canister in the bottom of your sleeping bag to warm it up. I used one a few weeks ago at 22 degrees. No worries.

I also have a Kovea Spider which allows the canister to flip. I do like the remote canister on that since you can use a standard windscreen.

Just of course do not use a windscreen around the canister on a sit-on type stove.

My go-to is an MSR Reactor, but just to add something more "exotic": did you consider a liquid fuel stove like the MSR Whisperlite? I love the idea that these things run on pretty much anything. I've got 6 ft of a small diameter hose wrapped up with my Primus Omnifuel so that I can help myself from the trucks fuel tank. It's not the most light-weight option, not the most user friendly and I therefore wouldn't want to have it in my backpack on every occasion, but it definitely has it's uses.

kelly1

FNG
Well it had a lot of stove to the years in backpacking since the mid 70s.
I’ve used this svea 123 and the box style one too.
My favourite actual cooking is a Coleman Peak one ,not the lightest but flame control.
so if a person wanted to do that kind of cooking I would say compromise on the stove whether it’s more expensive or a little less efficient and go for the flame control.
Yamasar‘s I’ve used through the years are great for boiling water but they don’t compare to the jet boil flash and the new MSR that’s similar.
So if you’re doing coffee and dehydration food and tea with less of the actual frying style of cooking that’s what I go for.
I have a no-name stove out of China with incredible flame control huge burner on it it’s a little heavy but you could definitely cook on it not very efficient though ,same with those little tiny stoves that are being talked about in the thread ,nowhere near the efficiency of the MSR or the jet boil while so you just gotta keep in mind how much fuel you might be going through if you’re out there for say five days.

I went with the jet boil with a coffee kit ,as well as you can put a pot support on it (which comes with it )and use it as a conventional stove it’s just a little hot ,but I’ve never seen anything boil water as fast as nothing so easy with the insulated pot with the handle the side of the thing lights up orange when it’s boiling you don’t even have to really look at it.,kelly

Spiblin

FNG
I've had great luck with my pocket rocket, much prefer it to the jetboil system. Like others have pointed out there are similar systems that work great for less money as well. I'm of the opinion the water boiling systems like the jetboil or msr reactor while very good, just aren't worth the money when comparing the performance and versatility of other systems. But ymmv

For years I have used a Snow Peak GigaPower and a 700ml titanium mug. I have been very happy with this combo.

croben

WKR
I’ve been running the MSR windburner the last few years and love it. I’ve run the Jetboil and also loved it. Can’t go wrong with either one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you’re out when it’s cold, rhe pocket rocket deluxe is nice, it base some sort of valve or equalizer thing built in that helps burn fuel as the cans get cold or empty.

EdP

WKR
I've used several stoves over the years and recently bought a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe and love it. Piezo igniter and regulated are great conveniences. Being canister fueled it will simmer. If I was going in severe low temp conditions (west or north late season) I would take my Primus Omnifuel but the weight and bulk penalty is significant.

Personally I would stick with a brand name product and stay away from Chinese knock-offs. The brand name product may still be made in China but they have a reputation to protect.

Mosby

WKR
While I use canister stoves most of the time...I am revisiting using alcohol stoves this year. They work surprisingly well most of the year and save some weight in the process. I can bring 2 cups of water to a boil with about 1 oz of Heet and having both types of stoves in my truck gives me some flexibility and another option when I'm on a scouting/hunting trip and things change or I'm running low on fuel.