Backpack guys that set up camp in the middle of a basin.....

...drive me absolutely crazy! Especially when the 190" deer that called that basin home decides he doesn't want neighbors and relocates to areas unknown.

Seriously, I get the fact that "ultra lightweight" is the new fad but just getting away from the crowds doesn't mean you'll see more game, especially when you set up camp right in the middle of the best damn habitat.

Rant over, thanks.

Drummond

littlebuf

Banned
i like the guys that set up right in middle of a meadow full of wallows too.smart,smart,smart

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yup, it is frustrating. Especially when they make no attempt to conceal camp at all.

OP
D
Next time I hear some clown talking about hunting and bragging about how many marathons they've run and that "my pack is lighter than your pack" I will kindly ask them to hunt smarter, not harder.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stupid is as stupid does they say! We can only adapt and improvise.........why many would camp right in the heart of things is just beyond me.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My favorite spots to camp are places tucked in the trees, away and out of sight. I usually do my best to stay out of the basins I intend to hunt and work my way around them to favorable glassing spots. Jumping animals on the way in is a part of it, but do your best to take the same routes to glassing points etc.

G Posik

WKR
I like to camp right in the middle of the bedding area. If you set your camp up while the elk are sleeping, they wake up and wonder who came in last night. Invite them over for some elk corn the next morning. You know you have to gain their confidence first. I AM KIDDING. I try to set camp not to close to the elk but close enough to not walk 10 miles every day to get to them.

Glenn

TJ

WKR
...drive me absolutely crazy! Especially when the 190" deer that called that basin home decides he doesn't want neighbors and relocates to areas unknown.

Seriously, I get the fact that "ultra lightweight" is the new fad but just getting away from the crowds doesn't mean you'll see more game, especially when you set up camp right in the middle of the best damn habitat.

Rant over, thanks.

Drummond

Next time I hear some clown talking about hunting and bragging about how many marathons they've run and that "my pack is lighter than your pack" I will kindly ask them to hunt smarter, not harder.

I've seen horse packers do the same thing.

Stupid is as stupid does!!!

A light pack and being in shape is not a bad thing is it?

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A light pack and being in shape is not a bad thing is it?

Of course not. But I think the statement couldn't be more true. Seems like guys focus way too much on their physical condition, having the best gear, etc. and not nearly enough on becoming a good hunter. To be fair, I think that's the result of guys who don't live near the mountains doing everything they can given their situation.

Look at a guy like our very own Robby Denning, for instance, especially his pictures with deer. I've never seen him in any of the name-brand camo; he'll be the first to tell you he can't spend money on all the latest and greatest gear; and while he's probably in good shape I've never heard him talk about running marathons and insane workouts. His gear and physical conditioning is "good-enough" and he spends his time, money, energy, etc on being out in the mountains. As I've said before, his record speaks for itself.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is no replacement for boots on the ground, even with great things like Google Earth. Learning the proper places to put your camp, how much water to pack, etc. are things that often get forgotten in the desire to be able to keep up with the deer.

I workout on a regular basis, but my optics do far more walking than I will ever be able to. Learn to camp in places that give you the best vantage points, and conceal your camp and you will see more animals. Be in shape for the when the hard climb to the secluded spot where the deer lives and you have done whats necessary. Be in better shape for the 100lb pack out and you are even better off.

TJ

WKR
I will kindly ask them to hunt smarter, not harder.

The point I was trying to make (albeit poorly) was the "hunt harder" will not happen IF you're not in shape.
And it's SO much easier to get there if your lighter. Is this not, at least in part, the whole point of Rokslide?

I'm not concerned about name brands. I don't have the latest gear and do not run marathons.
I do the best I can to stay in shape and stay as light as possible.

The "hunting smart" thing is usually learned. Sometimes the hard way.

If you're going to camp in the middle of where you should be hunting, well, you can't fix stupid.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
TJ, I agree 100% with what you're saying. Rokslide is about backcountry hunting, which is about gear, physical condition, AND how to hunt.

The only point I'm trying to make is that we all like to focus on things like gear and comparing workouts, but I'd like to see just as much information on HOW to hunt. It all comes into play in making a great hunt.

I like to camp right in the middle of the bedding area. If you set your camp up while the elk are sleeping, they wake up and wonder who came in last night. Invite them over for some elk corn the next morning. You know you have to gain their confidence first. I AM KIDDING. I try to set camp not to close to the elk but close enough to not walk 10 miles every day to get to them.

Glenn
New to the forum, but I have to say this post was priceless!!!!! I dang near fell out of my chair laughing!!!!!