“Backfire” hunting challenge fail

Of note, in the second video, those shooters had the advantage of watching the first group and discussing wind calls prior to shooting it themselves, which did seem to help quite a bit.
I wonder how much of that actually went on. Cortina said in the intro to the second video that those guys had their Kestrels out beforehand so that would be a solid start for their wind.

ChrisAU

WKR
Watching these videos now, love Eric. “That’s the problem” to the 2nd shooter in 2nd video got me haha. Love what he is doing with these. All those guys made great shots but he is really driving home a point.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Question is, if you only had ONE shot at EVERY target would you still have the same overall hit rate? I dont think so in most cases. I bet if everyone's first shot on each target got triple points or something like that, it would result in a dramatic shift in the way people thought about this.
I posted this in another thread, but the popular NZ Hunting Challenge held each year you only score on the first hit. You get another (optional) two shots to help improve what you did wrong, but they don't count. Every comp that is hunter focused should be this way.

Targets are actual animals with steel kill zone and rubber body. If you miss you hear the thump of the body hit but it doesn't score. Targets are from 100-700 yards with average probably 3-400. Most shooters don't score better than 50% hits. Exceptional shooters will hit around 18/20 on a good year without lots of wind. They are rare.

A lot of steel shooters miss, but don't mentally score it as a wounded animal. They hit off the plate and adjust and shoot again. I think a lot of these comps would be better if the targets showed you exactly what happened when you miss (wounded/gut shot). In fact, if there was a way to score it, negative points for wounded animals would be even better.

Shooting past 400 gets harder in field conditions. Shooting past 600 shouldn't be done by anyone based on lots of shooters I've seen and their horrible hit rates.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Of note, in the second video, those shooters had the advantage of watching the first group and discussing wind calls prior to shooting it themselves, which did seem to help quite a bit.

They had another advantage as well: They had heaps of time to setup, get into position, dope the wind, settle their position, probably dry fire some, and then take the shot on a perfectly broadside target that stood perfectly still and didn't **** off into the bush waiting for the ballistics app to power up.

Reactions: NSI