Backcountry hunt pack weight

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The posts that list a weight, but don't attach a gear list are nearly worthless imho.

is food included? how much food? water? how much water? is the rifle/ammo included? are optics included, which ones? is gear being shared, what gear? the list goes on and on (and on) :)

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Just weighed in at 29.6, no food or water. Feel like I need to cut more. But as this point im down to stuff like, only taking 3 game bags not 5. One less tent stake. 2 benidrill tabs instead of 6. Ditching the fire stricker in the emergency kit. No rain pants only top? Ditching the houdini windbreaker, but that thing is so light I don't feel like I'm ahead cutting it. Glassing pad? ? Must for mule deer but thinking it might not be as necessary on this elk trip, mostly timbered?

Bear spray, leave at Basecamp and only bring with for return trips for meat packing? Not griz country but decent black bear population.

Biggest weight penalty for far is my sleep setup, #6, tent, sleeping bag, air mat, pillow

Any suggestions appreciated

Last edited:

croben

Lil-Rokslider
BeFree filter and small squeeze bottle or the near identical Hydrapack is light and simple. I carry the tabs as my backup.
Same for me. I use the Hydrapack filter and 3L bag in case I need more water with me. Tabs are my backup.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s a solid list. You have any thoughts about a backup water filtration/purification system man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much us tabs anymore; if I'm not, then I use tabs as backup to either my filter or steripen.

Just weighed in at 29.6, no food or water. Feel like I need to cut more. But as this point im down to stuff like, only taking 3 game bags not 5. One less tent stake. 2 benidrill tabs instead of 6. Ditching the fire stricker in the emergency kit. No rain pants only top? Ditching the houdini windbreaker, but that thing is so light I don't feel like I'm ahead cutting it. Glassing pad? ? Must for mule deer but thinking it might not be as necessary on this elk trip, mostly timbered?

Bear spray, leave at Basecamp and only bring with for return trips for meat packing? Not griz country but decent black bear population.

Biggest weight penalty for far is my sleep setup, #6, tent, sleeping bag, air mat, pillow

Any suggestions appreciated

If you’re not in grizzly country I wouldn’t worry about bear spray. Your odds of being struck by lightning are better than being attacked by a black bear

HobbitAK

FNG
BeFree filter and small squeeze bottle or the near identical Hydrapack is light and simple. I carry the tabs as my backup.
How much life are you getting out of the BeFree filter setup? How bulletproof is it?

BBob

WKR
How much life are you getting out of the BeFree filter setup? How bulletproof is it?
I'm at about 3 years and it's still going fine. When it even hints at slowing I swish it in the stream. I tend to swish it every time at the end of my evening water filtering sessions. It's used almost 100% on clear flowing high country creeks with some use on cattle tanks in AZ NM elk country. I make sure to store it wet. If they dry out they can have much reduced flow until fully wetted again which can take an overnight soak. I noticed Backpacking Light (Ryan Jordan owner/founder) has recently moved to recommending the Hydrapak. He claims better life and less slowing or clogging. When it's time to replace my BeFree I'll probably buy the Hydrapak since they are directly compatible.

Backpacking Light (Ryan Jordan owner/founder):
5. Hydrapak Water Filters • In 2022, I started experimenting with Hydrapak filters. By the time my summer trips in 2023 rolled around, I've now replaced all of my Befree, Platypus Quickdraw, and Sawyer Squeeze filters with Hydrapaks. They are faster, clog less, and compatible with 42 mm bottles, which are my favorite. On our High Sierra trip, we used a combination of the 42 mm Filter Caps and the 6 L system that we used as a group gravity filter in camp. Both performed exceptionally well, even when we could see that the filter media was visibly dirty. The gravity filter has the most functional valve we've ever used, as well, with lock off and lock on functionality. Today on a day hike I used the 42 mm filter cap with the 500 mL Ultraflask and I can see this becoming my new favorite day-hiking and on-the-go water kit.

HobbitAK

FNG
I'm at about 3 years and it's still going fine. When it even hints at slowing I swish it in the stream. I tend to swish it every time at the end of my evening water filtering sessions. It's used almost 100% on clear flowing high country creeks with some use on cattle tanks in AZ NM elk country. I make sure to store it wet. If they dry out they can have much reduced flow until fully wetted again which can take an overnight soak. I noticed Backpacking Light (Ryan Jordan owner/founder) has recently moved to recommending the Hydrapak. He claims better life and less slowing or clogging. When it's time to replace my BeFree I'll probably buy the Hydrapak since they are directly compatible.

Backpacking Light (Ryan Jordan owner/founder):
5. Hydrapak Water Filters • In 2022, I started experimenting with Hydrapak filters. By the time my summer trips in 2023 rolled around, I've now replaced all of my Befree, Platypus Quickdraw, and Sawyer Squeeze filters with Hydrapaks. They are faster, clog less, and compatible with 42 mm bottles, which are my favorite. On our High Sierra trip, we used a combination of the 42 mm Filter Caps and the 6 L system that we used as a group gravity filter in camp. Both performed exceptionally well, even when we could see that the filter media was visibly dirty. The gravity filter has the most functional valve we've ever used, as well, with lock off and lock on functionality. Today on a day hike I used the 42 mm filter cap with the 500 mL Ultraflask and I can see this becoming my new favorite day-hiking and on-the-go water kit.
Awesome info thanks for sharing!

Nope, same. Should be like 12-14 lbs of food alone

Just finished my food prep for a 12 day backpack hunt, came in at 22 pounds flat. Lookin at 1.8 pounds a day, not sure I would wanna go lighter and lose out on the calories

BDRam16

WKR
Weighed in today at 21lbs no food/water. Only thing missing out of that is 20oz in rain gear if I take it and maybe a Kiln hoodie for an extra mid layer if it’s going to be cold.

That was without a lid but I think I might just take the weight penalty and carry it purely for the organizational aspect. I tried several times and couldn’t organize a way I liked without it. Leaving Monday morning so I have a couple more days to mess around with it.

7sdad

FNG
That’s what I’m thinking dude, like the food alone for a 7 day backpack trip should be anywhere from 7 to 12ish pounds. There has to be something I’m missing here, or I’m just a fatty and pack a lot of food

My food was 5.5 lbs, I’m back after 7 days and I was never hungry. I’ll put together a list and post it later.

7sdad

FNG

Kuiu 1850 Icon Pro - 4lb 3.8oz

Fly Creek HV UL1 - 1lb 11oz

ZPack 20F Solo Quilt - 17.2 oz

ProLite™ Plus Sleeping Pad - 1lb​

Food - 5lb 9oz
1 1/2 Liters of water - 3lb 3 oz

Wore the same pants, shirt & jacket each day. Took one extra pair of socks and underwear and rest was headlamp, knife, 10 wetwipes, tolit paper game bags range finder and GPS.

croben

Lil-Rokslider

Kuiu 1850 Icon Pro - 4lb 3.8oz

Fly Creek HV UL1 - 1lb 11oz

ZPack 20F Solo Quilt - 17.2 oz

ProLite™ Plus Sleeping Pad - 1lb​

Food - 5lb 9oz
1 1/2 Liters of water - 3lb 3 oz

Wore the same pants, shirt & jacket each day. Took one extra pair of socks and underwear and rest was headlamp, knife, 10 wetwipes, tolit paper game bags range finder and GPS.
That’s crazy light man. Are you doing anything for water filtration or purification? I see you don’t have a stove or spoon listed. What does your food like like for a day? Are you carrying anything for medical or a possibles pouch?

7sdad

FNG
I knew I would forget a few things.

Platyapus GravityWorks - 11.5oz
Jetboil Flash - .819oz per website and 1 small fuel canister.
1 Titanium Spoon - .5oz
Ziplock with duct tape, bandaids superglue ect.

Breakfast:
1 oatmeal package

Lunch:
Tortilla, single peanut butter, single honey pack, some bacon jerky rolled up.
Single cheese stick
Small Pack Cashews

Dinner:
1/2 Peak Dinners, purchased extra bags and divided the 2 person meals in half.