AZ Archery Elk

So I was lucky enough to draw on my first attempt, zero points, Arizona Archery tag (North Central) Sept. 15th-30th.

This is also my first “western” hunt and obviously first elk hunt. I bow hunt whitetails in the South and chase turkeys in the Spring. I have been reading all I can on the area (forum info, Onx, GoHunt, etc.).

I like doing stuff on my own so I’m not looking for any handouts, but if anyone has any good information or advice on the area, expectations, herd numbers/health, problems with locals (common issue here in the South), or if there is anything outside the box I should know. Just trying to gather all I can and any information is appreciated. Also advice on first elk hunt -gear mainly. Thanks fellas.

OP
FINONYMOUS
Have you checked out the hunting unit information on azgfd's website? Click on your unit and go to Hunt information for GMU X. It'll give you a lot of good information including where to find game during different seasons.

Yes sir I have done that. Like I said above, not looking for handouts, just information for the guys that have spent time in AZ in September. I’m from the South and have never been west of central Texas. Are snakes an issue? Should I use a floor less tipi or a nest? Etc… I’ll put the work in to find elk.

BBob

WKR
In decades of AZ elk hunts I’ve had I think one encounter with a snake, an AZ Black. It was mean but I had legs and walked away.

What shelter do you have? Use whatever. There’s no need to go “light” or anything like that as you’ll be hunting out of your truck or a hotel in your unit. I’d say be mobile and not tied to one base camp.

Put your work into learning the access of the unit. BTW there’s access just about everywhere but you need to know it so you’re not wasting time trying to figure it out when you need to move. 1/4 mile shooting rule distance from buildings. Don’t push it and get busted. Could be an issue where you are. If you get busted you won’t be coming back or hunting anywhere stateside for 5 years. Are you pre-scouting or just showing up for the hunt?

OP
FINONYMOUS
In decades of AZ elk hunts I’ve had I think one encounter with a snake, an AZ Black. It was mean but I had legs and walked away.

What shelter do you have? Use whatever. There’s no need to go “light” or anything like that as you’ll be hunting out of your truck or a hotel in your unit. I’d say be mobile and not tied to one base camp.

Put your work into learning the access of the unit. BTW there’s access just about everywhere but you need to know it so you’re not wasting time trying to figure it out when you need to move. 1/4 mile shooting rule distance from buildings. Don’t push it and get busted. Could be an issue where you are. If you get busted you won’t be coming back or hunting anywhere stateside for 5 years. Are you pre-scouting or just showing up for the hunt?
Yeah I’m not really worried about snakes too bad I was just throwing that out there as an example type of information I was looking for and not looking for pins or handouts. I’m 18 hours away so it will be a new world.

Right now I was thinking just my tarp and adding a bug nest. I like to stay mobile.

I won’t have time to Pre scout due to being so far away so I’ll show up a day or two before and try to cover as much ground / access points as possible.

BBob

WKR
so it will be a new world
Yes it will be :)

Bug nest very well could be helpful that time of year. Gnats, mozzies and other stuff could be out.

Lots of water and some sort of shower might be nice. I carry 10-20 gal depending on how hot it is. Those hunts can get very hot and a shower is usually welcome. I hang a solar shower off the side of the truck.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
September can be pretty warm during the day…nights drop down pretty quick. Bring layers. I typically have a light jacket and merino 125gr-150gr long sleeve. Between that and your pack, should be more than warm enough during the day. I like to have a vest packed too in case you want that in place of a light jacket. Warmer layer to throw on in evening back at camp. Bring plenty of water-the elevation and warm days will have you thirsty.

Wheels

WKR
There are tarantulas there and will freak you out when you see one, but never had a problem with them around camp.

Beendare

WKR
Without knowing the unit, its hard to give advice.…some are significantly different the way you hunt them. I get you are ‘t supposed to post it here…just saying, I help guide in N Az and run into guys on the road that haven’t seen an elkin 4 days of hunting when we have 3 of 4 guys tagged out.

Now if it happens to be unit 9 you can use any technique you want- grin …just don’t shoot the first bull you see…

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
North Central is a varying description. I’ve seen a lot of elk lower in the Juniper country than expected. Good glass goes along way! Then there is other spots where water is your only friend, because you can’t see farther than 100 yards. There are many roads, but they can demand a very good 4x4. Make sure you have a spare tire an on board compressor and a patch kit.

It’s hard to give you herd numbers and expectations without knowing the unit you will be hunting. There’s one unit in particular in that area that is drastically different from the others. Some would say it is more of an “limited opportunity unit”. Limited elk numbers throughout the unit but it’s still possible to get into them. It’s an easy draw compared to the others. I had the tag two years ago and was into bulls almost everyday and had a shot opportunity on a 330 bull I had to work my tail off every day. If it’s this unit you have, I would get into the best shape of your life lol

Most other units you can hunt in the same general way. I would E scout lots of water that’s near feeding areas or north facing slopes. Arrive a few days early to check for sign and water level at your e scouted locations and glass the heck out of the surrounding country. I would start by ripping some locater bugles during the morning around areas you find elk sign, and sit water in the afternoons. Bring a pop up blind if you can. Spend as much time in the field as possible and be prepared to be mobile.

Good year to have an Arizona elk tag. Doing my count down now - with all the campers (homeless people), you may have to drive to find a spot to camp .
I’ll be a week early and my hunt ends the 28th.