Average Hunter Ignorance.

TaperPin

WKR
The post is for people to make their own conclusions about bullet performance. That’s the sole purpose of the page. Judge away if you’d like. I don’t get any “grief”, or at least don’t view it that way. I am always open to hearing others views and opinions and being open to understand them if they actually make sense.

I love this post - not even being snarky. We collectively talk an awful lot about anatomy and ideal shots - but we all learn a little extra when off kilter shots come along like this and it’s talked about. :)

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I love this post - not even being snarky. We collectively talk an awful lot about anatomy and ideal shots - but we all learn a little extra when off kilter shots come along like this and it’s talked about. :)
Definitely! The buck I just shared is an absolute prime example. I thought it was a guaranteed lung shot based off of the death. And learned that’s not the case, by being open to more analytical and experienced minds than mine.

TaperPin

WKR
Definitely! The buck I just shared is an absolute prime example. I thought it was a guaranteed lung shot based off of the death. And learned that’s not the case, by being open to more analytical and experienced minds than mine.
To be honest, if an elk walked behind a bunch of trees and his hips and lungs were hidden only leaving the Huntnful-high-liver-shot I’d probably take it if my rest was steady.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
To be honest, if an elk walked behind a bunch of trees and his hips and lungs were hidden only leaving the Huntnful-high-liver-shot I’d probably take it if my rest was steady.
Hahahaha my signature shot 🤣. Proven extremely lethal, and only for the most proficient of marksmen 😬

Juan_ID

WKR
Now look at the comments from hunters who have probably never killed an elk, or possibly any animal in their lives.
I wasn’t going to post cuz I don’t know anything about nothing since I only kill maybe 1 animal a year. But why do you assume none of the YouTube commenters have killed an elk or any animal in their lives?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I wasn’t going to post cuz I don’t know anything about nothing since I only kill maybe 1 animal a year. But why do you assume none of the YouTube commenters have killed an elk or any animal in their lives?
From my experience, most people who are blatantly negative to strangers on the internet, have never really accomplished or achieved anything in life. Nobody I know, that’s genuinely successful or has achieved anything of merit, takes the time to go out of their way to be negative towards random people they don’t know. And I’m only referring to the “shit shooting” commenters. Not everyone.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Wow I really appreciate this!! I killed this buck two years ago, and to this day, I thought that it HAD to have been a lung based off of how he died. Literally no idea a liver shot could be equally as devastating under any circumstances. Really appreciate the added info!! Always helps with analyzing future kills and shot placements.

Any confirmation based off the blood color coming out of the exit as well?
My first archery kill was a bull moose here in Alaska. Liver shot and he went down within 20 yards.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
My first archery kill was a bull moose here in Alaska. Liver shot and he went down within 20 yards.
That’s freaking wild! I’ve never really seen a liver shot personally (other than that one i unknowingly made) and always just assumed it was like a 3-4 hour expiration time based basically only off what I’d heard, up until today hahaha.

That’s freaking wild! I’ve never really seen a liver shot personally (other than that one i unknowingly made) and always just assumed it was like a 3-4 hour expiration time based basically only off what I’d heard, up until today hahaha.
Yeah the moose died within a couple minutes.
I put another arrow into his lungs about a minute after the first shot while he was already down.

IMG_3855.jpeg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't get glossed over in people's minds. I'd vote to restrict long range bullet lobbing in a heartbeat. For every guy who can do it right, there are 100 or 1,000 that don't.

Long range shooting and archery keep plenty of coyotes and crows fed.
Completely ignorant statement.

This is the type of thinking that divides hunters and will ultimately result in a complete ban.

The distance has nothing to do with it. People taking shots beyond their skill level is the problem.

eric1115

WKR

This is the type of thinking that divides hunters and will ultimately result in a complete ban.

The distance has nothing to do with it. People taking shots beyond their skill level is the problem.
Agree. If a feller just had to implement some sort of restriction, I think rather than a yardage limit, it would make far more sense to mandate that when you pull the trigger on an animal, your tag is punched. Follow up shots are fine. But if you don't put that animal on the ground you're going home empty handed. Kind of like the rule on some guided hunts where if you draw blood your tag is punched regardless of whether or not the animal is recovered.

It's no more or less enforceable than a yardage limit, and a lot more likely to reduce wounding loss. I'm against unenforceable laws though, so I'd still be against it.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider

It’s not an ignorant statement.

My only real gripe with LRS while hunting is exactly what it is, LRS. If you’re shooting them long distances you’re taking the hunting part out of it in so many cases. Give the animals a chance FFS.

If you’re so worried about division of hunters just look at LRS. What good does this huge flux in LRS do to benefit hunting and hunter? It just creates more division and ruins many people’s hunting experiences.

The OP has posted pics over the years that shows him hunting in a particular area in Western WY. That area is ripe for LRS. Used to be after you found the bucks you had to hunt them. And for the ones that still do it’s nothing short of frustrating to be stalking a buck and then have someone throwing lead over your head from long distances. It’s happening more and more every year.

I watched a guy stalking a ram a few years back and someone else shot it from roughly my estimate of 700 yards while the guy was within 200 yards of it setting up for the shot.

You don’t want division in hunters but are pro LRS? Not possible.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

My only real gripe with LRS while hunting is exactly what it is, LRS. If you’re shooting them long distances you’re taking the hunting part out of it in so many cases. Give the animals a chance FFS.

If you’re so worried about division of hunters just look at LRS. What good does this huge flux in LRS do to benefit hunting and hunter? It just creates more division and ruins many people’s hunting experiences.

The OP has posted pics over the years that shows him hunting in a particular area in Western WY. That area is ripe for LRS. Used to be after you found the bucks you had to hunt them. And for the ones that still do it’s nothing short of frustrating to be stalking a buck and then have someone throwing lead over your head from long distances. It’s happening more and more every year.

I watched a guy stalking a ram a few years back and someone else shot it from roughly my estimate of 700 yards while the guy was within 200 yards of it setting up for the shot.

You don't like it... therefore it should be illegal.

Also an extremely ignorant statement.

Don't forget that you're in the long range hunting forum. If you don't like long range hunting, you should not open this forum.

Same for someone who opens the archery or trapping forums but doesn't like it. Just keep scrolling.

Division among us WILL end hunting. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
IMO, if you have practiced and are proficient and confident at a certain range, take the shot. I don't use any high falluting dial in scopes to shoot long range as I've never practiced over about 300 yds. If I'm farther out than that, I try to get closer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We should only hunt with sharpened rocks tied to tree branches! Give the animals a chance!

Humans used to literally chase animals for miles to the point of collapse from exhaustion before piling on them and slowly killing them. Maybe we go back to "only after an animal falls down from exhaustion are we allowed to kill them".

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR

That’s a real bummer about that guy putting a stalk on that ram and someone else smoking it. If the longer range hunter was aware of his presence near the ram, that’s a dick move IMO.

But I’m also certain that if the playing field was completely even, most of the same people, would still find things to complain about. Just like Trad hunters hating on compound hunters. They think compound bows are unfair lol.

Success rates haven’t changed drastically, and I don’t personally like having limitations placed on me because of someone else’s limited abilities or beliefs. Not just in shooting.

For the record my big game animals last year came at 100 yards, 130 yards, 230 yards and 205 yards. I kill them however it makes the most sense to me personally. I don’t seek out long shots and I certainly wouldn’t drop an intentional bomb over the top of someone that I was aware of if they were making a stalk before I spotted the animal.