Average cost of a Moose hunt

KHNC

WKR
Your first clue should be that there are no Shiras moose in Canada... try thinking for yourself. Ed F
My other post got deleted as it gave my opinion of you. Hopefully you saw it before it was gone. Have a wonderful day.

Mojave

WKR
Guide and Outfitters of BC list Shiras moose.

The Boone and Crocket list the Canadian Border. https://www.boone-crockett.org/category-boundaries-big-game-records?ref=sidebar#Moose

SCI has the Shiras moose area in Canada.

KHNC

WKR
Guide and Outfitters of BC list Shiras moose.

The Boone and Crocket list the Canadian Border. https://www.boone-crockett.org/category-boundaries-big-game-records?ref=sidebar#Moose

SCI has the Shiras moose area in Canada.
I guess this clears up whether or not Canada has Shiras moose or not. Thx

KHNC

WKR

Hey Ed, you there? I know you dont get out much. You down in the basement today?

Mojave

WKR
I went to school a long time ago to be a wildlife biologist. I don't currently work in that profession anymore. During that time I learned there people that are lumpers and splitters as far as wildlife species go.

There are 4 named scientific moose populations in North America. Though there are probably 8 or 10 actual varieties of subspecies of moose in North America. Moose are bigger the farther north and farther west you go. Moose in the Northern Rockies are smaller than moose in Canada. Moose in Alaska and the Yukon are the biggest in the Western Hemisphere, but maybe not the world. There are some huge moose in Kamchatka.

Approximate ranges of 8 subspecies of moose worldwide. A. a. a. = A. a. alces , A. a. p . = A. a . pfizenmayeri , A. a. c . = A. a. cameloides , A. a. b . = A. a. burturlini , A. a. g . = A. a. gigas , A. a. an . = A. a. andersoni , A. a. s . = A. a. shirasi , A. a. am. = A. a. americana , * = introduced population in Newfoundland.

Globally there is one moose, and zoologist split those moose into a bunch of categories based on the way they look and their size. Does it really matter? For those that think so they are;
There are moose in the Russia, the former Russian republics, China, Mongolia, and all across northern Europe. Then they start over again in North America. Moose in far Eastern Asia across the water from Alaska are similar to the moose in the Yukon and Alaska. SOME of our moose here in Europe don't really have palms, but just big fingers.

Are you a lumper or a splitter? I guess it depends on that.

SCI has different delineations on where the subspecies lines are than the Boone and Crocket club. I think this is because the B&C don't want to spend a bunch of time re-sorting their books.

Hey Bill, "my polar bear from Hudson Bay" qualifies for a southern polar bear record book now.

Or hey Janis "we have to pay more to hunt in this region of BC because those moose are really similar to the Alaska-Yukon moose" but cheaper.

Most of these changes are scientific, but not necessary. They only serve those folks who get ate up about collecting every animal on the ark.

it is easy to get emotional about and easy to ignore.

The average casual observer in your den will not know the difference between a moose from Newfoundland and a similar sized moose from Wyoming or Sweden.

There was a taxidermist in Casper that used to bring all his trophies to one of the Supermarkets during hunting season. There were tons of stuff in there. High Altai Argalis and a bunch of stuff that never got picked up. Most people who were not hunters or wildlife biologist thought the Mongolian sheep were bighorns. They are almost twice as big as bighorns, if you have ever seen taxidermy of them or the real thing.

Mojave

WKR
Approximate-ranges-of-8-subspecies-of-moose-worldwide-A-a-a-A-a-alces-A-a-p.png