ATF Proposed Powder Reporting Rule

TxLite

WKR

Summary​

The Department of Justice is proposing to amend Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”) regulations to require that any person who stores explosive materials notify on an annual basis the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored. In addition, the proposed rule requires any person who stores explosive materials to notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored whenever storage is discontinued. These changes are intended to increase public safety.

Has anybody seen this yet? This sounds to me like it would be directed at reloaders storing powder and primers at home. Make sure to go leave your comments on the page.

Editing to add for those coming in later:
After some further discussion and clarification it sounds like this rule is an amendment to an existing rule that should not impact the general public. The ATF provided summary is misleading. Explanation can be found on post #32 by @fwafwow

Last edited:
So your names on the list you have a fire and they evacuate all the homes around yours and let yours burn because you have a box of primers...something tells me you gonna have issue filing an insurance claim...

Wonder if this will apply to farmers and fertilizer as well?

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
What a crock of shit. Must we report storage of gasoline and other combustibles?
No shit though. I’d like to think that falls out of the jurisdiction of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

Rich M

WKR
This is exactly what businesses that handle hazardous materials, flammables, explosives, etc. get to do every year - they report the what and where of it all. Federal requirement. Businesses.

I'm interested to see what the thresholds are for citizens.

Can see powder in a gun safe being a big bomb of there are no vent holes to blow off steam, sorta speak. I've got some in my safe that i will take out when I get home - forgot that safety aspect as the safe has no bleeder valve or such.

Not as worried about ammo, but maybe should be as well? Have always heard that ammo presents no danger if it cooks off cause the gasses don't do much propelling w/o a barrel. Anyone know for sure?

Doubt a plastic jug of powder is an explosive device but the powder will cook hot.

@TxLite - do a google for definition of explosive under ATF.

Can see powder in a gun safe being a big bomb of there are no vent holes to blow off steam, sorta speak. I've got some in my safe that i will take out when I get home - forgot that safety aspect as the safe has no bleeder valve or such.
Doubt it would do anything the steam from the drywall would probably kill it before it could cook off, plus most safes have a hole in the back for golden rod so they arent air tight...if you have a 100% concrete safe chances of it getting hot enough to cause an issue are very slim, unless they let your house burn down cause your name is on a list.

Show me the statistics that prove this is a legitimate safety issue. Then try to differentiate it from other safety issues we currently do nothing about, have no reporting requirements, or other regulation, etc.

amassi

WKR
So your names on the list you have a fire and they evacuate all the homes around yours and let yours burn because you have a box of primers...something tells me you gonna have issue filing an insurance claim...

Wonder if this will apply to farmers and fertilizer as well?

Bingo
They tried this here under the guise of safety for fire fighters. Wanted labeling and registration, farmers were obviously excluded for their economic impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show me the statistics that prove this is a legitimate safety issue. Then try to differentiate it from other safety issues we currently do nothing about, have no reporting requirements, or other regulation, etc.
:ROFLMAO:...trying to bring logic and fact into the discussion...this is the new angle...they can't ban guns be they can make cost prohibited to own..it was mentioned above...this is just another angle so firearm owners can't afford home owners insurance.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
They specifically call out smokeless powder

View attachment 598150

On the flip side this specifically exempts it.