ATF Proposed Powder Reporting Rule

Erict

WKR
The link states that there is an EXISTING requirement to report the initial storage of explosives. It also states that the proposal adds an annual requirement including updated data. The proposal states "...ATF estimates that this rulemaking will have an impact on approximately 9,674 licensees or permittees...". This strongly suggests this applies only to certain businesses/individuals, not to the general public.

The link states that there is an EXISTING requirement to report the initial storage of explosives. It also states that the proposal adds an annual requirement including updated data. The proposal states "...ATF estimates that this rulemaking will have an impact on approximately 9,674 licensees or permittees...". This strongly suggests this applies only to certain businesses/individuals, not to the general public.
Let's hope that's true.

fwafwow

WKR
+1 to @Erict

Fwiw my quick read is that the ATF is changing the reporting rules for those already obligated to report. Currently those who have to report do so at the inception of storage. The rules, if adopted, would add to that an annual reporting requirement, and a report when the explosives are no longer stored. The info in the report, and record keeping requirements, would also be revised.

I didn’t see anything about expanding the definition of explosives or who is required to report.

But I could be wrong

The original link states "any person" indicating exactly what it days, i.e., they want it to apply to everyone. Also not that it also states "magizine capacity " indicating that they want a record of who has what magizines in what capacities, i.e., a registration so they can collect them states with magizine capacity limits. It's a good thing that they do not have the ability to creat law.

Dos XX

WKR
The original link states "any person" indicating exactly what it days, i.e., they want it to apply to everyone. Also not that it also states "magizine capacity " indicating that they want a record of who has what magizines in what capacities, i.e., a registration so they can collect them states with magizine capacity limits. It's a good thing that they do not have the ability to creat law.
I think they are referring to a different kind of magazine.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
well, there goes ordering a couple jugs on line.
i guess i better stash a few more.

i used to buy powder in a 44 lb keg and they stopped that. probably do away with 8 lb jugs next.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty dumb, hopefully it gets shot down. What’s going to suck is all the panic buying that will commence. All they guys stocking up that have never used up an 8lb jug in their life. Just when stuff was starting to become available again.

gabenzeke

WKR
In the words of FPC.

**** you. No.
And they get more of my money. I find every time I hear about one of these pushes fpc gets another fifty bucks from me. Had to get rid of Twitter for financial reasons...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Reporting storage of explosives is ALREADY required with 48 hours. This just adds an annual requirement and that it be in writing.

Smokeless powder for small arms is exempted from the regulations this updates. https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/s...ll-arms-ammunition-subject-explosives-storage
"Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555."

Tempest in a tea pot.

fwafwow

WKR
It doesn't impact anyone in the way that is feared.

Here's the present rule -
Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Such notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced.​
Here's the rule, as revised by the proposed rulemaking:

Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced, and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced. Thereafter, written notification shall be made once every 12 months following the initial notification, but no later than the end of the month during which the 12-month period is completed, unless the person is no longer storing explosive materials at the relevant site. When a person ceases to store explosive materials at a site, written notification to the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored shall be made within 48 hours of the person discontinuing storage. Each written notification must also contain the name, title, and agency of the fire authority official notified and the date of the written notification. A copy of each written notification must be maintained by the person submitting the notification for five years from the date of notification and made available for examination or inspection by an ATF officer at all reasonable times.​
Any firefighters on RS?

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
It doesn't impact anyone in the way that is feared.

Here's the present rule -
Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Such notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced.​
Here's the rule, as revised by the proposed rulemaking:

Any person who stores explosive materials shall notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such explosive materials are stored. Notification shall be made orally before the end of the day on which storage of the explosive materials commenced, and in writing within 48 hours from the time such storage commenced. Thereafter, written notification shall be made once every 12 months following the initial notification, but no later than the end of the month during which the 12-month period is completed, unless the person is no longer storing explosive materials at the relevant site. When a person ceases to store explosive materials at a site, written notification to the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored shall be made within 48 hours of the person discontinuing storage. Each written notification must also contain the name, title, and agency of the fire authority official notified and the date of the written notification. A copy of each written notification must be maintained by the person submitting the notification for five years from the date of notification and made available for examination or inspection by an ATF officer at all reasonable times.​
Any firefighters on RS?
Thanks for clarifying

The way it reads initially coupled with their conflicting definitions of explosives gets confusing

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Reporting storage of explosives is ALREADY required with 48 hours. This just adds an annual requirement and that it be in writing.

Smokeless powder for small arms is exempted from the regulations this updates. https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/s...ll-arms-ammunition-subject-explosives-storage
"Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555."

Tempest in a tea pot.

Amazing how viral this story went. OP should really consider and edit to the original so it doesn’t keep generating comments about ATF overreach. As always, does it make you angry? If yes, proceed with caution.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Pretty dumb, hopefully it gets shot down. What’s going to suck is all the panic buying that will commence. All they guys stocking up that have never used up an 8lb jug in their life. Just when stuff was starting to become available again.
THIS!!!! The last 3-4 years have been tough enough.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All you have to remember is that the government is NOT your friend, will never be your friend, and they will always do whatever they can get away with to control "the people".

That sounds like a law that should be approved by both houses of congress, signed by the president then struck down by the Supreme Court under the 10th amendment because it has nothing to do with any of the enumerated powers of the federal government.