Arrows

Koozer

FNG
What is everyone shooting for arrows these days? I'm looking at setting up a new bow after this hunting season and I am years removed from the latest and greatest!

I'm looking at either a 60# or 65#, 28.5-29" draw. I'd like to have a arrow around 425-450gr.

Small and micro (5mm and 4mm nominal inside diameter) arrows are the going trend, but my advice is to keep it simple and stick with a standard diameter (6.5mm/.245" ID) shaft. Cost and complexity increase and the insert can become a significant weak point as you go smaller, and the supposed benefits of a smaller arrow are marginal.

Choose a standard diameter shaft of moderate gpi, cut it about an inch shorter than your draw length, and use a combination of insert weight and point/head weight to get total arrow weight around 7 grains per pound of draw weight. That will give you a strong arrow with a good balance of weight and speed at a reasonable price.

Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter (or its Bass Pro-branded Blackout clone), and Victory VForce (or the Scheels Vendetta clone) would all fit the bill. Any of those in 340-350 spine cut around 28" with 150 gr total on the front and about 30 gr on the back would hit your target TAW and should have adequate spine at 60-65#.

smshuntr

FNG
Building a set of Xtorsions 250 spine for this season. Going with ethics hardware up front and AAE max hunter vanes. Gonna play with 4 fletch and 3 fletch and see what flight I get with the muzzy hybrid heads. This is a whitetail setup.

Easton Axis 5mm, Victory Rip TKO, or Black Eagle Rampage. HIT insert and a collar. Hard to beat for overall durability, wind drift characteristics, penetration. Tons of options for different weights of HIT insert. Between those three options there’s a good bit of GPI variability, so you should be able to ballpark whatever weight of finished arrow you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

WKR
This year I’m trying the Gemini 250 arrows on one bow and keep using the black eagle rampage 250 on my other bow the Gemini are gonna be 510 grains the black eagle are 550 grains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
What is everyone shooting for arrows these days? I'm looking at setting up a new bow after this hunting season and I am years removed from the latest and greatest!

I'm looking at either a 60# or 65#, 28.5-29" draw. I'd like to have a arrow around 425-450gr.

Victory RIP or TKO with steel/TI hit and a TI collar. Or even the stock Tko half out.

Taudisio

WKR
Small and micro (5mm and 4mm nominal inside diameter) arrows are the going trend, but my advice is to keep it simple and stick with a standard diameter (6.5mm/.245" ID) shaft. Cost and complexity increase and the insert can become a significant weak point as you go smaller, and the supposed benefits of a smaller arrow are marginal.

Choose a standard diameter shaft of moderate gpi, cut it about an inch shorter than your draw length, and use a combination of insert weight and point/head weight to get total arrow weight around 7 grains per pound of draw weight. That will give you a strong arrow with a good balance of weight and speed at a reasonable price.

Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter (or its Bass Pro-branded Blackout clone), and Victory VForce (or the Scheels Vendetta clone) would all fit the bill. Any of those in 340-350 spine cut around 28" with 150 gr total on the front and about 30 gr on the back would hit your target TAW and should have adequate spine at 60-65#.
Heed the above advice and save money.

I used the gold tip hunter xt’s for years. I only switched because friends said 5mm were the way to go. I hated the Easton axis 5mm. The victory rip tkos have become my favorite, aesthetics mostly but I’ve noticed they are on par as tough as the GT. I wouldn’t have any qualms going back to the gold tips that are 2/3s the price. I can’t tell you how many easton 5mm I’ve broke. I thought about going to their sonic 6mm (I do like that Easton is American and still want to support them) before some internet influencers encouraged me to look at the victory’s. I researched a bunch of brands/arrows gpi per spine, found where I wanted to be for speed/weight and FOC wise, and that landed me on the victory’s. Blew through a deer nearly length wise and couldn’t be happier with my decision and confidence I gained.

FWIW, The bass pro version of the GT seemed to be of lesser quality than the standard, but maybe that was just in my head.

ATL

FNG
I am really liking the Black Eagle Spartan 350 shafts, 8 grains/inch. They are 6mm, accepting the BE stainless steel flanged insert and an added BE 30 grain weight. With 100 grain head a finished arrow at your length would be approximately 410-425 grains depending on fletching choice. The Spartan nock bushing accepts the Bohning A Nock, or other 5mm choices.

I shot 5mm for many, many years with various internal and exterior components. They were okay but never great. Nothing is better or simpler than a regular flanged insert. 6mm is best of both shaft diameter choices. Relatively small diameter with easy and true component installation.

I do not have any experience with them, but I believe the Easton Sonic 6.0 would be another great choice in 6mm with a 50 grain brass insert. Just a lighter shaft/arrow when finished compared to BE Spartan.