Arrow Penetration....

Felix40

WKR
After I shot an NAP Spitfire through an elk at 78 yards, and watched it fly across the drainage behind, I decided that penetration doesn’t need to be my main concern. Since then I’ve pretty much only shot mechanicals(from the compound) with no complaints. I shot one through a small mule deer at 45yds and it sliced all the way through the off side leg bone at the elbow and passed through. The leg was only being held on by a little skin.

I really like knowing that my arrows are going where I want them even with a little wind and stress. It hasn’t been my experience (passthrough vs passthrough) but if I had to give up a few inches of penetration to always hit where I want, I would do it. Even an elk only takes like 16” to get to the vitals from any reasonable angle. With a compound I’ve never had less than that.

The only real weakness I see with good mechanicals is shooting through vegetation. Tall grass or willow leaves scare me enough to keep a fixed blade available.

Bump79

WKR
After I shot an NAP Spitfire through an elk at 78 yards, and watched it fly across the drainage behind, I decided that penetration doesn’t need to be my main concern. Since then I’ve pretty much only shot mechanicals(from the compound) with no complaints. I shot one through a small mule deer at 45yds and it sliced all the way through the off side leg bone at the elbow and passed through. The leg was only being held on by a little skin.

I really like knowing that my arrows are going where I want them even with a little wind and stress. It hasn’t been my experience (passthrough vs passthrough) but if I had to give up a few inches of penetration to always hit where I want, I would do it. Even an elk only takes like 16” to get to the vitals from any reasonable angle. With a compound I’ve never had less than that.

The only real weakness I see with good mechanicals is shooting through vegetation. Tall grass or willow leaves scare me enough to keep a fixed blade available.
If you like the Spitfire check these out.. They launched them as Truglo but then switched it to the Titanium NAP Spitfire. Same head just clearing out the old name.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCW5T5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Felix40

WKR
The bow setup plays into it as well. Someone with a 32" draw pulling 75lbs and sending 500+gr arrows above 300fps is alot different than someone with a 28" draw at 60lbs sending an arrow 125-150gr lighter going 275 or slower.

This

My friends wife killed a 300" bull last year with a 44# bow and she has a 26" draw.....shot placement wins every time

Bump79

WKR
That’s interesting for sure. I just like the spitfires because they are sharp and stay closed/don’t rattle without needing rubber bands.
Yeah if they just made the blades not have a hole in it for the retention but another divot I'd say they would be one of the best.