Arizona Unit 10 Late Elk Hunt Report

robie

WKR
With the draw coming up and I wanted to put a synopsis of my hunt out there for anyone in a position to apply/draw the late hunt.

Background - I apply in 10 states across the west and have limited time off, therefore I really want to enjoy my experience and give myself the best opportunity I have when I go hunting.

This year I drew an Arizona Unit 10 Late hunt with only two points. My strategy was to put in for late hunts and hope I get lucky until I had roughly 5 points then I would switch my application over to early hunts. With the rarity at which you draw AZ elk tags I decided to hire an outfitter and booked with Exclusive Pursuit Outfitters. For anyone out there that draws an early tag in unit 10 you should call these guys, they have 92K acres of private and lots of elk and were a blast to hunt with.

After 7 days of hunting I didn't see 1 mature bull. Biggest bull we found in 7 days were 5x5's. The outfitter had 4 hunters total in unit 10. 1 guy shot a raghorn. 1 guy found one mature bull and missed and 1 guy saw two mature bulls throughout the hunt but never in a spot where he could have gotten anywhere near them.

When I say mature bull I'm talking about a 6 point bull, 300"+ type bull, I wasn't hoping for a 350" bull. I personally would have been fine with a busted up old 6 point, I didn't need it to score I just like to shoot older animals. We couldn't find one.

My take away's from this hunt and from talking to the guides. All of the guides said this hunt sucks, flat out, they don't apply for it and don't recommend I do in the future. Yes you can kill a decent bull from time to time but the hunt just sucks and I get it now.

Personally I would rather go to AZ every 10-15 years and have an amazing experience then spend time/money/points on an ok hunt. I won't be applying again for the late az hunts. Yes you can kill an animal and every once in a while people will pull a stud out of the late hunt. Unit's 23/27 the guides do better on the late hunts than 10 but those odds aren't much better than an early hunt.

I'm hoping this helps anyone in my similar situation. I would have been better off taking the guide money and buying a NM landowner tag and just keep building points in AZ. It was fun, we saw lots of cows/raghorns, ate well and had some fun shooting guns at distance.

The late AZ elk hunts can be tough. I think the most surprising part, and what maybe some people who apply don’t realize, is how many tags they give for the size of the units. When most people think Arizona they think limited pressure with giant bulls. Most of the late hunts have high tag numbers, relatively high hunter density, and the big bulls are hard to find.

Getting a big bull down can absolutely be done and I would encourage anyone to try it if that kind of hunt is what they fancy. Just make sure you understand what you’re getting yourself into because it’s not what I think a lot of people envision as a glory hunt. Good luck to everyone in the draws!

OP
robie

robie

WKR
My attempt was to let people know that are in a situation similar to mine what I would do going forward.

I saw elk every day and had a good time but I drove to Arizona to hunt mature bulls.

Next time I drive to Arizona for elk it will be during September.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
IMO, I think it depends on how much elk hunting experience you have in regard to the late hunts in AZ.

I would agree they aren't easy, but the elk are there for those that put in the effort and know how to hunt elk. Success rates are low for the number of tags issued, but I saw a LOT of hunters just hunt 2-3 days and leave.

I've had 4 late NR rifle bull tags and shot 6 points on the 3 tags I hunted. My 4th tag I donated to hunt of a lifetime.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
IMO, I think it depends on how much elk hunting experience you have in regard to the late hunts in AZ.

I would agree they aren't easy, but the elk are there for those that put in the effort and know how to hunt elk. Success rates are low for the number of tags issued, but I saw a LOT of hunters just hunt 2-3 days and leave.

I've had 4 late NR rifle bull tags and shot 6 points on the 3 tags I hunted. My 4th tag I donated to hunt of a lifetime.
It sounds like you have done better than most. I know I didn't know the unit which is why I hired a guide and the fact that the big bulls are tough to find in the late season.

Maybe this was a bad year. Not sure what to point it to. But when the outfitter goes 0 for 4 on mature animals I'm not sure what to think.

For me personally I can just go to New Mexico every year for the same/less money and wait for an early tag to go back to AZ.

I'm sure a lot of guys have looked at the late tag and hopefully my experience helps them when putting in for the draw.

Buzz makes a fair point, though to be honest I don't think Buzz is exactly robie's target audience for this post. Buzz is a damn good elk hunter and very experienced on late hunts. In case anyone is curious you can check out Buzz's recap of his late season Arizona hunt from 2017 on HuntTalk.

Arizona elk 2017

Full disclosure I've had one late Arizona bull tag, my first late season elk tag I had ever been on in a unit I had never hunted, and was on no less than a dozen different 300"+ bulls. Most people who I talk to haven't had the same experiences, though, and went home disappointed. If you're interested in a late season elk hunt you should be mindful of what to expect based on your skill and experience level. The early hunts are much better experiences IMO and may be worth the wait depending on who you are.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Buzz makes a fair point, though to be honest I don't think Buzz is exactly robie's target audience for this post. Buzz is a damn good elk hunter and very experienced on late hunts. In case anyone is curious you can check out Buzz's recap of his late season Arizona hunt from 2017 on HuntTalk.

Arizona elk 2017

Full disclosure I've had one late Arizona bull tag, my first late season elk tag I had ever been on in a unit I had never hunted, and was on no less than a dozen different 300"+ bulls. Most people who I talk to haven't had the same experiences, though, and went home disappointed. If you're interested in a late season elk hunt you should be mindful of what to expect based on your skill and experience level. The early hunts are much better experiences IMO and may be worth the wait depending on who you are.
I would have been happy with any 300" bull in this hunt. We just couldn't find one. I wasn't expecting an Arizona giant by any means.

From what I've heard a lot of outfitters struggled in 10 in the late hunt. A3, HPO, I heard diamond put down several small bulls.

So maybe the unit is still feeling the effects of having 500 late tags in it a few years ago. Not sure what to think.

Thomas11

WKR
In general, unit 10 us considered one of the better late hunts. So that is surprising

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
It was a tough drought year, and most of 10 is pretty low and dry anyway. Even in good conditions the late hunts are more of an opportunity than quality hunt. Crap ton of tags and broken bills that have been pressured since September. It is a tag you can draw every few years though...

OP
robie

robie

WKR
It was a tough drought year, and most of 10 is pretty low and dry anyway. Even in good conditions the late hunts are more of an opportunity than quality hunt. Crap ton of tags and broken bills that have been pressured since September. It is a tag you can draw every few years though...

As a non-resident it takes about 8 points to draw that tag. I was treating it as an opportunity hunt with a broken bull being an OK option.

I just want to make others aware that if you are going to travel that far and apply in many states there are better options for your time and money than the hunt I went on.

mproberts

WKR
As a non-resident it takes about 8 points to draw that tag. I was treating it as an opportunity hunt with a broken bull being an OK option.

I just want to make others aware that if you are going to travel that far and apply in many states there are better options for your time and money than the hunt I went on.

Thanks for the input! I'm in the same situation now and have been weighing my options. I'm in the position now where I can draw most of the late season hunts, but still 5+ years away from any of the decent early hunts, and like 10-20 years away (depending on point creep) from the early season hunts I would dream of. I'm normally of the mindset that hunting more often is better, but torn by the idea of having an unenjoyable hunt after waiting this long already. Arizona is tough for NRs so do I just continue to wait for the hunt that likely will be better or do I try 2-3 late season hunts in that same time period? I don't know the answer but appreciate your input. Sorry the hunt was a bust.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thanks for the input! I'm in the same situation now and have been weighing my options. I'm in the position now where I can draw most of the late season hunts, but still 5+ years away from any of the decent early hunts, and like 10-20 years away (depending on point creep) from the early season hunts I would dream off. I'm normally of the mindset that hunting more often is better, but torn by the idea of having an unenjoyable hunt after waiting this long already. Arizona is tough for NRs so do I just continue to wait for the hunt that likely will be better or do I try 2-3 late season hunts in that same time period? I don't know the answer but appreciate your input. Sorry the hunt was a bust.
I hope it was helpful.

It wasn't a total bust I saw elk everyday. If you are ok with a 5x5 on this hunt I say go for it. Just not what I was after in AZ.

I'm 37 and I may only get to hunt elk in AZ 1 more time but I'm pretty sure it will be amazing when I go earlier rifle or archery elk hunting.

But the west is full of states I can have fun hunting until AZ draws my name.

jmarce22

FNG
Hi Robie, Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on Unit 10 late rifle Cow Elk?

I have 2 tags (wife on my draw) for Unit 10 Dec 6 - 12th.

I plan to begin scouting in the next few weeks on the southeastern portion.

Any tips are greatly appreaciated.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Hi Robie, Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on Unit 10 late rifle Cow Elk?

I have 2 tags (wife on my draw) for Unit 10 Dec 6 - 12th.

I plan to begin scouting in the next few weeks on the southeastern portion.

Any tips are greatly appreaciated.

Cow. I think you can find one, could get lucky and see one next to the road or may have to find a spot and hike for a bit. They are there, put some effort in and you will both tag out.