Arizona does away with auction tags

Ucsdryder

WKR
Was there a press release as to why?

I think the optics of these tags often feeds into the anti hunting crowd. Most non hunter dislike the term “trophy hunting”. The epitome of trophy hunting is a big fat guy sitting next to a trophy bull with 15 guys processing it for the taxidermist. In the end we lose some money for conservation but what we gain might be much more valuable.

I’ll never forget the picture of the jimmy John’s guy sitting in the shade like a king while the peasants work at his feet cutting up the bull that they followed around for 3 months.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was there a press release as to why?

I think the optics of these tags often feeds into the anti hunting crowd. Most non hunter dislike the term “trophy hunting”. The epitome of trophy hunting is a big fat guy sitting next to a trophy bull with 15 guys processing it for the taxidermist. In the end we lose some money for conservation but what we gain might be much more valuable.

I’ll never forget the picture of the jimmy John’s guy sitting in the shade like a king while the peasants work at his feet cutting up the bull that they followed around for 3 months.
Arizona will be implementing a lottery/raffle draw similar to wyoming super tags so it opens the availability of these tags to more sportsmen.

Sounds great on the surface but....
*Raffle tags tend to bring less money than auction tags.
*how will the Pittman and Robertson matching funds be inpacted when the actual license cost is reduced?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Arizona will be implementing a lottery/raffle draw similar to wyoming super tags so it opens the availability of these tags to more sportsmen.

*how will the Pittman and Robertson matching funds be inpacted when the actual license cost is reduced?

Curious if they’ve answered the “why” question.

MattB

WKR

But it will vary from WY in one very important manner, as raffle tickets will only be sold to people physically in the state of Arizona. That will substantially reduce the market versus WY.

I think something that should be settled before entering into discussion about
"which method garners the most $$, or the best press for hunters, or even which will most benefit the game animals in the long run" is:

Does someone with much disposable $$$ have a greater right to a publicly owned
game animal than Joe the Plumber?

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I get that these tags bring in money but I hate that the opportunity is taken from the general public and given to the ultra rich. I would much prefer that all these auction tags go back into the draw and they charge a little more for a license or a point. It wouldn't take much per applicant to make up the difference.
I can understand this sentiment, but at the end of the day....one extra tag doesn't really do much for the "common man".

Jethro

WKR
But it will vary from WY in one very important manner, as raffle tickets will only be sold to people physically in the state of Arizona. That will substantially reduce the market versus WY.
I didn't read all the posts in this thread. Does it say why they implemented the must be in AZ rule? Sure fire way to eliminate many possible buyers.

180ls1

WKR
I can understand this sentiment, but at the end of the day....one extra tag doesn't really do much for the "common man".

Yeah. The wildlife and resources produced as a direct result of these tags no doubt yield more wildlife on the landscape than what the hunter "takes."

Ucsdryder

WKR
What if one changed the argument. If we’re on board because it brings in money for much needed conservation work, why not 2 tags…or 3 tags. Imagine if all sheep tags were auctioned to the highest bidder, that’s a lot of money for conservation.

It’s a government entity, more money is rarely the answer. The real answer is the money they have being spent more wisely…

Tell that to the "common man" that draws the tag.

You are correct though, its not much. But maybe that one tag allows a unit to now offer a NR tag. My opinion is not only directed at AZ though. Many tags are taken from the pool and auctioned off across the west. And like I said, charging a little more for a license can raise the same funds and leave all those tags for everyone and not just the rich. The main argument I see here is what about the money. They could raise the same funds easily from license and tag sales if they see the need. Charge $10 more for a license and AZ has another $3.5M for habitat.

180ls1

WKR
Tell that to the "common man" that draws the tag.

You are correct though, its not much. But maybe that one tag allows a unit to now offer a NR tag. My opinion is not only directed at AZ though. Many tags are taken from the pool and auctioned off across the west. And like I said, charging a little more for a license can raise the same funds and leave all those tags for everyone and not just the rich. The main argument I see here is what about the money. They could raise the same funds easily from license and tag sales if they see the need. Charge $10 more for a license and AZ has another $3.5M for habitat.

My gut reaction is that there would be even more complaining if they did that.

MattB

WKR
I didn't read all the posts in this thread. Does it say why they implemented the must be in AZ rule? Sure fire way to eliminate many possible buyers.
Likely to comply with state raffle laws. If not, a move to benefit residents.

wapitibob

WKR
The raffle entity needs to be licensed in other states, the AZ Super raffle (Conservation First) is not. It was discussed at the commission meeting, cost would be 30-50k plus yearly fees.

BBob

WKR
If not, a move to benefit residents.
Like it or not the long running philosophy of managing game in AZ is slanted heavily towards the “common man” and more so the resident “common man”. For those wondering why the commission has decided some of what it has over the years those two things will explain a lot. Jimmy John guide posse style hunts and hordes of outfitters overrunning the landscape with a zillion cameras are just two off the top of my head that they have decided to get rid of. Once upon a time the governor tags were small affairs generally with a single hunter accompanied by a single guide. I think of the many Jimmy Ryan and Randy Lillenquist type hunts. Just two guys hunting. Most if not all of Chris Harlow’s guiding for sheep governors tags were this way too. The monetization with the crazy trophy bonuses along with the accompanying social media advertising just don’t fit the AZ management history and objective.

Last edited:
Azgfd basically said letting a wealthy individual buy tags does not fit the North American model.

I like it and think over the years the loss of $$ gap will close. Don't forget, the money raised doesn't go to just hunting projects. They also manage condors, suckers, lizards and lots of other "threatened" species.

For years all I have heard is all Azgfd gives a Shit about is $$$$. Now they make a move that could potentially lower their $$$$ and everyone thinks the sky is falling. Highly doubtful that any impact would be noticed going further imo.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
How many western states still have "governor's tags"?
Tags that go to state governor's to pass/sell to highly influential (re: rich!) people as favors. (?)

BBob

WKR
Tags that go to state governor's to pass/sell to highly influential (re: rich!) people as favors.
Arizona’s governors tags were never given to the governor to pass along to anyone so count us out of that description. They were given to the same type of organizations that auctioned them off just as they are today.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I see you have no clue how Governors tags work.
Honestly? "No."
All I know is what I read. Rich guy claimed he wanted a sheep (?) tag. None available so he "bought" a governor's tag. That was his article.

Tell me how they are supposed to work.