Are Talley rings a reliable choice?

repins05

WKR
My luck..........a crack will appear during a hunt when I am in the middle of nowhere. On my way out I will see a Bull of a lifetime and wouldn't be able to hit the broadside of a barn because of a cracked ring.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I wouldn’t bet reliability on just bonding. Start with a good set of rings and bond those. Sure, many guys haven’t had issues with Talleys. But we’ve seen enough here to know that it’s a big possibility. I’ll bet a thread on Warne Mountain Tech or NF XTreme Ultralights wouldn’t have near as many failures. On this thread, no on is talking about how great the Talleys are, only how they failed or that they haven’t had an issue yet.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used multiple sets and never had an issue. One pair was on a 300RUM for almost 15 years and never had a failure.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Scoffing at dudes using $50 components
Because a Stone Sheep hunt can be $60k. Really stinks to have a $60k hunt messed up by a $50 ring that broke when you could have spent $130 and been golden. Money obviously wasn’t an issue if he was hunting stone sheep.

Because a Stone Sheep hunt can be $60k. Really stinks to have a $60k hunt messed up by a $50 ring that broke when you could have spent $130 and been golden. Money obviously wasn’t an issue if he was hunting stone sheep.
That one went riiight over your head

60k for a hunt
Shooting a 22 Creed or 6 UM to prove a point
Priceless

you have me confused with someone else; 223 and 6.5 creed are plenty for the ranges I shoot at.

just like scopes, there are a ton of lousy scope rings and mounting solutions on the market. the performance differences are easily demonstrable, readily apparent to anyone with a mechanical engineering background, and have been shown by a bunch of pictures of cracked rings on this thread.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
60k for a hunt
Shooting a 22 Creed or 6 UM to prove a point
Priceless
Coming into a thread that hasn't once mentioned "CaLiBeR"
Scoffing at dudes who actually shoot/kill/learn
Profile picture showing non-ideal shooting position for actual field killing accuracy
Priceless

MtnW

WKR
Many of the top tier rifle builders use Talley steel rings on their hunting rifle builds and their own personal rifles , some of which sell in the $25K range , when the customer doesn’t want or feel the need to spend $2K on the builder’s proprietary base / ring system. Many of these rifles are hunted all over the world , many having been hunted for decades with no issues. I have used Talley steel lever rings on all but a couple of my big game rifles with no issues, those other rifles use the builders proprietary mounting system.

sndmn11

WKR
I think in our family we have three rifles with Talley modern sporting rings and they seem to be doing fine. I have not used them with any of the zero retention testing I have done simply because they live in the rifles they are on. I like a single nut vs the smaller torx head bolts.

I have had multiples pairs of a mfg mentioned as a go-to in this thread slip.

The rings I have the most of and have been on all the tests I've done here are TPS and they seem to be out of business.

I've been thinking through a winter project/review for here on ring testing via drops. However, I don't want to spend $1k on rings, a few hundred on ammo, only to figure out that torque and adhesive win out over ring mfg.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Many of the top tier rifle builders use Talley steel rings on their hunting rifle builds and their own personal rifles , some of which sell in the $25K range , when the customer doesn’t want or feel the need to spend $2K on the builder’s proprietary base / ring system. Many of these rifles are hunted all over the world , many having been hunted for decades with no issues. I have used Talley steel lever rings on all but a couple of my big game rifles with no issues, those other rifles use the builders proprietary mounting system.
I used to use Talley's for a long time as well without much issue other than the single top ring screw version causing some slipping on a couple .308s. Again, they work until they don't.

I'm thinking it must be something in the more recent manufacturing, the fact that I had two out of three sets fail miserably turns you off to brand; paired with then seeing many similar results on this forum. For me, it's not worth the risk on any of my guns being taken on a big game hunt.

when people mention talleys and nothing additional details, I just assume worst case that they are talking about the lightweights, where there are repeated horror stories.

MtnW

WKR
Are you guys that are having failures with Talley rings using the “steel” Talley’s?
Another thing , for me I will never take a rifle on a serious hunt without running 150-200 rounds through it. I learned this long ago when I did experience rifle failures, (not Talley steel ring failures).

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I’m almost positive this thread is about the lightweight ring mounts. I think when everyone hears the word “Talley” they automatically assume you’re talking about the lightweight ring mounts since they seem to be the most popular ring from them. I haven’t seen anyone complain about the other rings and bases they make so I guess we should have been more clear lol.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
60k for a hunt just to have 50 dollar component ruin it.
Stone sheep are an 'every year' hunt for us. 6 hour drive, 12 - 20 hour hike, over the counter tags. I had my rifle, so he was aight. Although, when we walked out into a big grizz on a fresh moose kill right in the trail, he commented that "good thing it's pretty thick in here, and you can only see 20 yards, since I have a 20 yard rifle now." LOL

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
To be fair, I’m like $200 in diesel, and $200 in freeze dried to hunt Stones…

However, I DID carry a 223AI this year….
Let’s go!!! 223! I want to build something like that or a 6 creed or 6.5 Grendel maybe.

TxLite

WKR
I didn’t have any pictures, but I’ve seen 3 cracked where the ring cap screw holes are located. So add three more just to what’s shared here.
Like this?
IMG_8200.jpeg
I can tell you the set I had did not get along with my 300wby.

Reactions: NSI