Are Talley rings a reliable choice?

huntsd

WKR
interesting... I have run talleys on my 300 wm for 3 years now. No issues.

E.Shell

FNG
Bought a used Ruger American (Ranch 5.56) not long ago that came with a pair of Talley ring-mounts. I used them to mount a scope and although I was impressed at how cheap they seem, I haven't broken them yet. I had planned to replace them later, but I guess that should be sooner than later.

repins05

WKR
I haven't had any problems as mentioned earlier....but for the OP, there are a lot of rings out there that DONT have pictures showing them cracked in half. I won't be taking a chance on talley's now. One, maybe an internet anomaly. Multiple posts from this thread are showing that it could be a major problem.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
I haven't had any problems as mentioned earlier....but for the OP, there are a lot of rings out there that DONT have pictures showing them cracked in half. I won't be taking a chance on talley's now. One, maybe an internet anomaly. Multiple posts from this thread is showing that it could be a major problem.
Absolutely great perspective. I didn’t have any pictures, but I’ve seen 3 cracked where the ring cap screw holes are located. So add three more just to what’s shared here.

pathnz

FNG
Looks like I've been lucky with Talleys. I am not aware of an alternative for a Remington Model 7 that will allow mounting sufficiently low - any ideas? Although mine have not yet broken in ~5 years of use in the conditions it will see (i.e. mountain hunting etc)

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I lucked out in a way, I had ordered some LW Talleys, they were stolen out of my mailbox or lost in the mail, so I ordered some Warne Mountain Techs instead.

Antares

WKR
Only Talley's I have anymore are on my Kimber 84M... what's the best, non-Tally option for that action?

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a 32 oz scope attached to a 338 RUM with talley lightweights and they haven't moved a smidge in the 4 years since I put them on so 🤷‍♂️

180ls1

WKR
I am wondering how much they are the "f150 of rings." They are so popular that there are a ton of reported problems, how much that is inherit to the product or operator error is hard to say.

I've had nothing but good luck with them as well.

huntnful

WKR
I am wondering how much they are the "f150 of rings." They are so popular that there are a ton of reported problems, how much that is inherit to the product or operator error is hard to say.

I've had nothing but good luck with them as well.
I think you’ll have a tough time finding other rings that have split clean in two on several occasions. But I’m sure there are plenty of talleys out there that haven’t had issues, because there are A LOT of sets out there in the wild lol.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Only Talley's I have anymore are on my Kimber 84M... what's the best, non-Tally option for that action?
Maybe look at the DNZ Game Reaper? I have one on a Howa Mini and I haven’t had an issue with it, the only down side would be since it’s a 1 piece mount if your Kimber is a model with a blind mag it might be a little tricky loading and unloading.