are powerbelts any good for deer

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
No need to get personal or insulting.
i never did why dont you go back to the third pae and look atthe man that said i crapped on his opinion and tell him the same i was telling him my pov what i had hunted with then he said i was stupid and crapped on his opinion ANd i did not.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
i never did why dont you go back to the third pae and look atthe man that said i crapped on his opinion and tell him the same i was telling him my pov what i had hunted with then he said i was stupid and crapped on his opinion ANd i did not.
My comment was directed towards everyone. However your report (in which you insulted them) is why I subscribed to this thread. How many times have you used the word “retarded, stupid” in reference to people in this thread? Let’s (everyone) move on with the discussion in a respectful manner.

In my experience powerbelts are not great bullets. I lost a bull after 60 yd shot. ( i know you are asking about deer, specifically...) The next day I shot this buck at 40 yds. I shot as his front leg was fully extended so I did not hit shoulder. The entry hole is huge= bullet splattered/expanded/fragmented at the close shot. I recovered the buck but there was no exit and bullet fragments were all I found inside. I was using a Platinum Aero something Powerbelt... can't remember the specific bullet name. I think it was 350 gr weight.

If you want to bang your head against a wall to convince yourself they are adequate bullets, you can. And if distance , velocity and shot placement are ideal they will kill deer. But there are way better bullets out there. I switched to Federal bor loc lead bullets and have been very happy. I will always advise against powerbelts - leave them alone before you lose an animal to them. Listen to others' experience before you have to learn this lesson the hard way.

Attachments

• 20180915_073254.jpg
    20180915_073254.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience powerbelts are not great bullets. I lost a bull after 60 yd shot. ( i know you are asking about deer, specifically...) The next day I shot this buck at 40 yds. I shot as his front leg was fully extended so I did not hit shoulder. The entry hole is huge= bullet splattered/expanded/fragmented at the close shot. I recovered the buck but there was no exit and bullet fragments were all I found inside. I was using a Platinum Aero something Powerbelt... can't remember the specific bullet name. I think it was 350 gr weight.

If you want to bang your head against a wall to convince yourself they are adequate bullets, you can. And if distance , velocity and shot placement are ideal they will kill deer. But there are way better bullets out there. I switched to Federal bor loc lead bullets and have been very happy. I will always advise against powerbelts - leave them alone before you lose an animal to them. Listen to others' experience before you have to learn this lesson the hard way.
ok thank you

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Our shots in MA/NH are typically ~50 yards, I've killed at least a dozen deer with powerbelt hollowpoint .50 295gr with the green base. In my experience they do a lot of damage to the deer but don't leave great blood trails. That said they get the job done!

i have a traditions nitrofire the bullets it recomends are all saboted bullets except for the fedral bor lock copper 270gr and traditions smackdown mzx aka hornady full bore 290gr ftx. and i am wondering if powerbelt are any good some people say the get poor blood trails some say they are awesome. i am looking at 50 cal. i have looked a the elr 50 cal the copperseries aerotip hollow point and tipped and the aerolite. wich are the best let me know
I'd love to hate on Powerbelts but a good friend shoots the 348gr ones over 90gr of triple seven out of a TC Omega and has killed more bear and whitetail with that load just about anyone I know. He's usually not trailing either. Dead on the spot. I think with any muzzleloading projectile it's shot placement more than the bullet

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
They worked for me but seemed way too soft on all the animals I shot with them. I wasn't very impressed.
I used them on a cow at 93 yards through the second to last rib quartering away, stopped on opposite ribcage.

Because they are coming out slow you don’t want a soft bullet? Kind of opposite of the tmk theory and tumbling/fragmenting of a dtac?